Lie versus Lay - which is which? Authors PLEASE READ

last reply
16 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
As a story verifier, this is one of the commonest problems I come across and often find myself correcting, rather than sending back. Where most people go wrong is using lay when they mean lie.

Below is a quick guide to how these verbs should be used.

To Lie:

To lie is to recline or relax on a bed or a sofa.

Present tense: I lie down on my bed when I'm feeling sleepy.
Past tense: Yesterday, I lay there thinking about what to cook for tea.
Past participle: I had lain there all afternoon, just waiting for her come home.
Present participle: Lying there, thinking of my girlfriend, my hand crept inside my panties.

So, when you want to get jiggy with someone, you ask them to 'lie on the bed' and not 'lay on the bed.'

To Lay:

To lay is to put something down on a flat surface, like when you lay a table cloth.

Present tense: As I walk past, I lay my dildo on the bed.
Past tense: As I walked past, I laid my dildo on the bed.
Past participle: I had laid my dildo on the bed for the last time that week.
Present participle: Laying the dildo on my bed, I could only dream of my girlfriend's return.

However, note: 'I lay on my bed and drifted off to sleep.' BUT 'I laid my head on the pillow and drifted off to sleep.'

So, to summarise, with the most common misuse of these verbs:

We laid there all night, in each other's arms = WRONG!

We lay there all night, in each other's arms = CORRECT!

Finally, please note: Layed is not an English word.

Danny

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Great summary and nicely done. Too bad Dylan didn't have something like this when he wrote Lay Lady Lay. On second thought, maybe it's best that he didn't... Lie Lady Lie?

Since "lay" requires a direct object, you can remember the present tense distinction with the phrase, "Lay it on me" - "it" being the object. "Lie" cannot have a direct object. That's the real distinction - transitive (lay) vs. intransitive (lie) verbs.

The past tense and the participles are where things get really hairy. When my head starts to hurt I start thinking that maybe I actually TOSSED that friggin' dildo on the bed.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Obviously Dylan hadn't read my article. Although, I agree, given artistic licence lay works better in that song on semantic grounds, although phonologically, 'Lie Lady Lie' works better, as well as being grammatical!

Danny x

Wine Connoisseur
0 likes
A politician lies all the time and they lay the bullshit on you thick and fast.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Now I lay me down to sleep?

Present tense of 'to lay', object 'me'. Is that right?
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by TraceEkies
Now I lay me down to sleep?

Present tense of 'to lay', object 'me'. Is that right?

Yes. This is an interesting one. In this instance, the writer would be laying themselves, rather than performing the act of lying.

This is not an exception just an unusual use of lay.

Lurker
0 likes
The reason why this is such a problem for some people is that the answers are long, wordy, and confusing in themselves - and it doesn't address the confusion that caused the problem to begin with.

What really lies in the middle of it all is that lie and lay are two different words that share 2 word forms - and people just get the definitions confused.
This is an image I use to keep it straight:
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p542/MetildaCanter/TheMichikoSatoRule_zps1466c628.jpg

Lie = To recline.
Lay = To place down.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
The reason why this is such a problem for some people is that the answers are long, wordy, and confusing in themselves - and it doesn't address the confusion that caused the problem to begin with.

What really lies in the middle of it all is that lie and lay are two different words that share 2 word forms - and people just get the definitions confused.
This is an image I use to keep it straight:
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p542/MetildaCanter/TheMichikoSatoRule_zps1466c628.jpg

Lie = To recline.
Lay = To place down.

The problem with this simplistic approach is that while accurate, it requires memory but dispenses with comprehension. My OP begins with the basic definition but gives the reader the extra detail they require to understand why they are different.

I also disagree that the definitions are being confused. It's more fundamental than that. Like who and whom, it demonstrates a lack of exposure to the full richness of the language. Ultimately the fault lies with education resources, whether it be school or college etc, rather than writers.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

The problem with this simplistic approach is that while accurate, it requires memory but dispenses with comprehension. My OP begins with the basic definition but gives the reader the extra detail they require to understand why they are different.

I also disagree that the definitions are being confused. It's more fundamental than that. Like who and whom, it demonstrates a lack of exposure to the full richness of the language. Ultimately the fault lies with education resources, whether it be school or college etc, rather than writers.

For me: it was the definition. I remembered the word forms just fine for some reason but could never remember which word mean 'to place' and which one meant 'to recline'.

The above was an easy-reference visual and now I no longer have issues and fully understand everything about it. I say that's quite a success. No problems have come from it - I don't have to look it up anymore and I don't get the two words confused.

It's no different than using a mnemonic memory device like putting someone's name or telephone number to a jingle.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TraceyAmes
A politician lies all the time and they lay the bullshit on you thick and fast.

Can I get a "HELL YES!"?!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have used this tidbit of grammatical knowledge several times. Although personally I lie on the bed but I put something on the table!
Lurker
0 likes
I thank you very much for concise, clear explanation, Danny. If there's one thing I have had a learning disability about, it's lay, lie, laying, lain, lying (although I got that one down if it's a politician - or is it lieing?)

Still get confused and will probably have to refer back to this lesson every time I use the word, but nice to know it's there.

Maybe sometime I'll get it. Nah, not likely.