Login

How do you choose a Category?

last reply
17 replies
1.3k views
1 watcher
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
How do you choose which category to classify your stories? All mine are classified as "spanking" but they all also fit perfectly in the interracial category and one would fit the lesbian category too. So which should I have chosen? In my mind I am writing spanking fiction but others may see the stories differently from me. Writers, how do you decide?
Writius Eroticus
Just pick whichever you feel is the main thrust (fnar) of your story.

There are some categories that have more traffic than others so if it's views you're after, choose one of those. And for any terms that your story also represents, use "appropriate tags" so readers have the maximum chance of finding stories that may interest them.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 111 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Smut-slinging slut
I'm not really experienced enough to give a decent opinion, but I feel that it is your story, you're writing it because it is what you want to say, therefore it should be in the category of your choice. Nobody knows your innermost thoughts and feelings like yourself, so you should decide what category is the main bent, just as you choose the words of the story.
Am I a good witch, or a bad witch? History will decide
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by krystalg
... I feel that it is your story, you're writing it because it is what you want to say, therefore it should be in the category of your choice. Nobody knows your innermost thoughts and feelings like yourself, so you should decide what category is the main bent, just as you choose the words of the story.

That's a very good point. When I was writing them, as far as I was concerned I was writing spanking stories so that's what they are. It was only later I realised they fit other categories too so I used tags, as WannabeWordsmith also suggested.
Active Ink Slinger
I usually have a particular "kink" or fascination of the characters in mind when writing a story, and that is usually the category I use, though several categories might apply. I put the others in the tags.
Sexy Seductive Siren
Haven't written much lately, unfortunately. Lack of time and lack of desire.

However, when I was writing, was trying to write in a different category each time. One of my goals was and still is - eventually - to earn a Prolific Writer Badge (author a story in 80% of the Lush story categories).
Meagan
Active Ink Slinger
I built my stories around the category. Pick one and develop a story around it.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
Quote by Meagananne1986
Haven't written much lately, unfortunately. Lack of time and lack of desire.

However, when I was writing, was trying to write in a different category each time. One of my goals was and still is - eventually - to earn a Prolific Writer Badge (author a story in 80% of the Lush story categories).

You'll get there! You've been a little busy, my friend!

John, I used to focus on a few categories until I decided to branch out a bit. I've written in all 57 categories and some were harder than others. But what it did for me was attract people who may have only been reading one type of story. I broadened my outreach and cast a wider net of readers. The result has been wonderful.

Dirty Talk Competition story: His Voice

New Mac & Grace story: Boardrooms & Boudoirs - Part Three -Chapters 9-12

The Last Dance - Part 4 & Part 5

The Last Dance is a love story, but not your ordinary love story. I’d love for people to check it out. Thanks! 🥰

New short story: Under The Doctor's Desk

New micro: Another Man’s Wife

Active Ink Slinger
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try branching out though I doubt I'll be able to match your achievement of every category, or even a significant fraction but I guess I'll never know if I don't try!
Evolving Writer
Quote by JohnSwitch1959
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try branching out though I doubt I'll be able to match your achievement of every category, or even a significant fraction but I guess I'll never know if I don't try!

John, Don't believe for a second that you can't do it. If you love to write, you will figure it out. I just recently earned my prolific writer badge and while it was tough for some stories, it is attainable with a little imagination and some research.
Active Ink Slinger
Thanks for the encouragement! Certainly research will be needed for a lot so I'll be starting with the categories with which I have some experience - it is always said you should write about what you know.
Rookie Scribe
Quote by krystalg
I'm not really experienced enough to give a decent opinion, but I feel that it is your story, you're writing it because it is what you want to say, therefore it should be in the category of your choice. Nobody knows your innermost thoughts and feelings like yourself, so you should decide what category is the main bent, just as you choose the words of the story.
It’s funny you say that. I just got a submission rejected because it didn’t “fit” as a Love Poem. I wasn’t aware there was a list of criteria one had to include for a poem. It’s about meeting someone online, chatting, getting to know them, and letting them talk me into role playing for the first time. The point is how loved it made me feel that someone took the time to be kind to me. I was told to expand it into a full story and submit it as a different category. 
Chatterbox Blonde- Rumps Mystical Bartender

That could be a really good flash or micro story.

Whatever was posted is always meant in love and respect never to offend.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

I've been listening to my kinky pencil here's my current work

My current Competition entry is here
A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.
Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?

Darts... my screen is full of holes.

I guess within erotica, I'm not really a 'genre' writer. My stories appear in a bunch of different categories depending on what they're about. Even when they're in the same series, different chapters might end up different places. Actually, the last one I published got mis-categorized as a "love story." I don't know if that's my mistake or the mods' but fuck it, it's a love story now. In any case, I think the people who want to read my stuff will find it wherever it ends up.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Rookie Scribe
Quote by Twisted_Skald

Don’t those at least need plot? Or sex? I have no idea what the requirements are for categories, and the 2 mods I have emailed for details haven’t responded. This was about meeting someone and falling in love online. And it had more than 100 words. 
Quote by Lurker411
Quote by Twisted_Skald

Don’t those at least need plot? Or sex? I have no idea what the requirements are for categories, and the 2 mods I have emailed for details haven’t responded. This was about meeting someone and falling in love online. And it had more than 100 words. 
More than 100 and less than 1000 is Flash. Still should have sex unless you're putting it in Love Stories. There's always Storiesspace.com for non-erotic material. Same interface but fewer features (no chatrooms or groups) and a different colour scheme. And most of the members are also on Lush (like me!).
Sexy Seductive Siren

I haven't had a chance to write much lately, but when I do, I try to write in a different category each time.  I'm really hoping, at some point, to earn a Prolific Writer badge by publishing a story in 80% of the Lush categories.

Meagan

Don't worry - just submit it.

My moderators have often suggested a more appropriate category, or indeed changed it prior to publication.

Some of my stories ended up in ' Fantasy', just because they feature my friends' unusual mother/daughter physical BDSM relationship.