Login

Apostrophes - do they matter?

last reply
34 replies
4.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Quote by lynnwitt

1) That probably depends upon the particular translation.

2) I'm presuming that you transplanted the apostrophe from "devil's", where it is needed, to "apostrophes", where it is not, on purpose. You are subtle.

Another example at which I cringe is "CPU's", "TV's" and the like when plurality is intended.

1) Yes, I'm using the King James version.

2) Yes, I am subtle (see my point 1, above), but can't slip anything past you, clearly. Heh.
Quote by Verbal

1) Yes, I'm using the King James version.

2) Yes, I am subtle (see my point 1, above), but can't slip anything past you, clearly. Heh.

1) Genesis 3:20 KJV, for example: "And Adam called his wife's name Eve; ..."

(You DID make me look !)
The Apostrophe Protection Society deserves to be known as one of the Great Institutions.

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/index.html

Of course, if schools actually taught stuff, there'd be no need for such a society. And if it ever extends its remit to include misplaced commas, semi-colons and Capital Letters, I'll be in deep shit ;)
You're question beg's it's self.
Paddling works three ways:

* Me on top
* You on top
* On the water
Quote by DanielleX
I think you will get these anomalies, but I think this is a linguistic thing, not a geographical one. While it might be technically incorrect to say Holland when travelling to your country, everyone in England calls it Holland and knows it's The Netherlands. Really, shouldn't I say I'm travelling to Nederland?

This is a bit like objecting to people ordering a panini, when it's actually a panino? Some names and words become Anglicized.

Having said that, I'm grateful to you pointing this out. I kind of knew there was something about Holland being not right name, but this is the first time I've bothered to research it.

Dankjewel

D x

*late response*

No, because the English language has an English name for Nederland, which is the Netherlands (in Dutch we've dropped the plural in the past). Some languages only have a name that resembles Holland for the Netherlands, in which case they're doomed... err... I mean they can't be blamed ;)
Most people in the Netherlands speak of England when they actually mean the UK. As a Liverpudlian that may even sound right to you, but I'm sure that will not be the same for many folks in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Anyway, graag gedaan.

As for apostrophes: it depend's smile

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===