Poor Business Decisions

last reply
99 replies
4.5k views
1 watcher
14 likes
Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Although Bud Light's problems were fairly predictable, IMO.

Just stay out of politics if you're trying to sell things. Bring out the Clydesdales. Everyone likes pretty horses.

The Linebacker
1 like

Honestly, Mexican lager beers are better tasting than American lagers.

Voyeur @ f/64
2 likes

The beer (and it pains to even call it that) is simply vile. The whole campaign was aimed at the audience least likely to ever want to taste it. Stupidity is too mild a word.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

I am in business. I have my personal views on politics, as does everyone. I do not express them related to my business.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by letsgonow69

I am in business. I have my personal views on politics, as does everyone. I do not express them related to my business.

And that is why you are still in business. If I didn't know about political leanings of businesses, I wouldn't feel morally obligated to respond to them.

0 likes

Quote by Buz

Honestly, Mexican lager beers are better tasting than American lagers.

This!! My first beer was bud light hello the south.

I love Mexican beer! My taste in beer has nothing to do with commercials. Dos Equis is my fav dark of course.

I don’t care about what people do or don’t to promote stuff. If I like it I like it.

Put whatever you want on your can. Beer too lol

However if you do you may lose people who have narrow views on certain things.

Your business your choice.

0 likes

Quote by kistinspencil

The beer (and it pains to even call it that) is simply vile. The whole campaign was aimed at the audience least likely to ever want to taste it. Stupidity is too mild a word.

Ps this amazing woman is my spirit lover lol love ya and your mind!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by AngelEthics

Although Bud Light's problems were fairly predictable, IMO.

Just stay out of politics if you're trying to sell things. Bring out the Clydesdales. Everyone likes pretty horses.

Tasty.

--

As in horse meat is tasty

heart

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by IMPURETHOUGHTS

Tasty.

--

As in horse meat is tasty

heart

Horse meat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know. 😉

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

Bud Light Giving Away Beer for Free to Try to Save July 4 Sales

This is kinda funny to me, mainly because anyone who was aware of Dylan Mulvaney and anyone who has ever noticed who drinks Bud isn't surprised by the backlash. I'm guessing there are overlapping demographics between the people mad about Bud and the people who trashed their Kurigs, boycotted football, and stopped going to Starbucks.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

You can't get coffee from them!

They either went to hard liquor and tea, or they're in the process of dehydrating, as we write.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

so, what you're all saying is making money is more important than doing the right thing. am i getting that right? sorry, started buying Bud (for the first time) when all this shit started going down. Not great beer, but not the worst, and we're saving money by not buying the more pricey ones. win-win.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

You've touched on an interesting topic! What is the purpose of a corporation?

The standard answer today is that a corporation’s purpose is to benefit its shareholders.

https://www2.law.temple.edu/10q/purpose-corporation-brief-history/

Only if Capitalism is your religion.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Wild at Heart
0 likes

Quote by sprite

so, what you're all saying is making money is more important than doing the right thing. am i getting that right? sorry, started buying Bud (for the first time) when all this shit started going down. Not great beer, but not the worst, and we're saving money by not buying the more pricey ones. win-win.

Michelob Ultra is also owned by Anheuser-Busch and tastes less like armpit than Bud light.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Quote by Magical_felix

Michelob Ultra is also owned by Anheuser-Busch and tastes less like armpit than Bud light.

yeah, but bud light is the particular beer being boycotted. it's a bit of a statement for us. like Garth Brooks saying he's still serving it in his bar.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
2 likes

Quote by ElCoco
What is the purpose of a corporation?

A corporation is a legal business entity designed to limit personal liability for the failings of that business.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

I'm thinking more along the line that a company/corporation/llc/partnership/business is formed to produce a product.

For example, in sprite's case, the business is there to do the right thing....

In that case, Sprite is wrong (Actually, she isn't because she didn't say that, but what you said she said is wrong). In fact, in the US as they developed corporate law, it's been ruled that a corporation must act in the best interests of shareholders, and that has been defined time and time again as maximizing their return on investment. Social ethics outside of brand-image-marketing have little to do with how a corporation operates. If corporations are people, as Mitt Romney once claimed, they're sociopathic people without a conscience motivated only by self-interest, and most of them should be locked away for the safety of our society. You can't lock up a corporation, though, so the next best thing is to regulate them heavily in order to constrain their misanthropic tendencies. Counter to right wing ideology, this is where you need big strong government to reign in the worst impulses of these anti-social businesses. Where the government fails to do this (pretty consistently in the US), then the people will have to rise up to defend themselves. The more businesses involve themself in politics, as AngelEthics and Letsgonow mentioned, the more they open themselves up to these kinds of backlashes. Frankly, however, it's a bit ironic for conservatives to be so passionate about unrestrained free market economics and then get all upset when the 'invisible hand' slaps them in the face. To your original point, however, given the polarized political/social climate, it's increasingly likely that you'll find someone to take issue with any decision you make. But I doubt this or the majority of 'cancellations' and boycotts are going to affect any stable corporation's bottom line much in the long-run. The majority of rednecks will forget bud light sponsored a trans person to promote their shitty beer and by next month as the next silly scandal captures their attention, sales will be back more or less to what they were.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Some businesses set themselves up so they can make these political statements and not have to worry, like Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A. The former had five shareholders who don't have an issue with illegally smuggling Christian artifacts to the US. The latter kept it a private company so he could give profits to groups sponsoring gay conversion therapy. I don't think either company really took a hit for their public views or actions because they were on-brand.

The problem with Anheuser-Busch is that they aren't set up to make this kind of political statement. If they want to cheer-lead about the troops, or America being the greatest nation on the planet, or how farmers are the salt of the earth and the moral compass of this country, they wouldn't lose a penny. If they wanted to dip their toe into the LGBTQIA+ they needed to be much more careful about it.

Wild at Heart
1 like

Quote by AngelEthics

Some businesses set themselves up so they can make these political statements and not have to worry, like Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A. The former had five shareholders who don't have an issue with illegally smuggling Christian artifacts to the US. The latter kept it a private company so he could give profits to groups sponsoring gay conversion therapy. I don't think either company really took a hit for their public views or actions because they were on-brand.

The problem with Anheuser-Busch is that they aren't set up to make this kind of political statement. If they want to cheer-lead about the troops, or America being the greatest nation on the planet, or how farmers are the salt of the earth and the moral compass of this country, they wouldn't lose a penny. If they wanted to dip their toe into the LGBTQIA+ they needed to be much more careful about it.

Bud Light has been sponsoring LGBTQIA+ events for decades.

The difference now is that the conservative mouth-piece industry amplifies every grievance for clicks, likes, donations and subscriptions. Conservatives are easy to rage bait with culture war nonsense then extract money from.

They wouldn't even know Bud Light made one can for a trans influencer if some conservative wasn't sitting on the trans person's social media refreshing every two seconds, probably jerking off at the same time.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Magical_felix

Bud Light has been sponsoring LGBTQIA+ events for decades.

The difference now is that the conservative mouth-piece industry amplifies every grievance for clicks, likes, donations and subscriptions. Conservatives are easy to rage bait with culture war nonsense.

They wouldn't even know Bud Light made one can for a trans influencer if some conservative wasn't sitting on the trans person's social media refreshing every two seconds, probably jerking off at the same time.

That's an image.

That's also fair. They've been a sponsor at Pride for ages.

Though, Dylan Mulvaney was already controversial, and not just because of conservatives. A lot of left leaning women, myself included, didn't like the way Mulvaney represented "girlhood" or talked about women. I still think this would have been a whole lotta nothing if they had sent this beer to Buck Angel, rather than Dylan Mulvaney.

Wild at Heart
0 likes

Quote by AngelEthics

That's an image.

That's also fair. They've been a sponsor at Pride for ages.

Though, Dylan Mulvaney was already controversial, and not just because of conservatives. A lot of left leaning women, myself included, didn't like the way Mulvaney represented "girlhood" or talked about women. I still think this would have been a whole lotta nothing if they had sent this beer to Buck Angel, rather than Dylan Mulvaney.

I don't think their goal was to make conservatives cheer. They wouldn't have made a trans person a can to begin with if that was the case. I think the goal was to support a marginalized community. Bud Light's decision has had absolutely zero impact on my life outside of a few laughs I have had at how triggered conservatives get. Not sure what impact it has had on conservatives either besides them now having the need to drink a beer they like less than what was their beer of choice. It's just weird.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Magical_felix

I don't think their goal was to make conservatives cheer. They wouldn't have made a trans person a can to begin with if that was the case. I think the goal was to support a marginalized community. Bud Light's decision has had absolutely zero impact on my life outside of a few laughs I have had at how triggered conservatives get. Not sure what impact it has had on conservatives either besides them now having the need to drink a beer they like less than what was their beer of choice. It's just weird.

I think their goal was to get free advertising by jumping on in the Dylan train. Mulvaney had been at the White House, hosted 365 days of being a girl at Rockefeller Center, and was on the runway for New York fashion week. They sent a picture-can and waited for it to appear on TikTok.

I do agree that Conservatives losing their minds over this was ridiculous. Nike didn't face anything like this backlash for making Mulvaney a sports bra model at about the same time. There probably isn't anyone less equipped to demonstrate how supportive a Nike sports bra is, but we all just rolled our eyes and moved forward.

0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

So let's sharpen our focus. What is the purpose of a corporation?

Depends on why it was set up and/or who's running it. For the true believers in Capitalism the standard answer will indeed be "shareholder wealth maximization". But that's not the only option.

0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

Now that Modelo’s toped Bud Light in sales for the second month in a row, the boycott seems to be lasting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/modelo-tops-bud-light-in-sales-for-the-second-month-in-a-row/ar-AA1dFRSa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3cee4aaeb9c048f9957496fc749d5e9d&ei=67

Or maybe folks just discovered a beer they like better than their previous go-to beer.

Constant Gardener
0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

Now that Modelo’s toped Bud Light in sales for the second month in a row, the boycott seems to be lasting.

I am surrounded by Trump voting rednecks in purple Missouri and none of them drink Bud Light.

Too fucking expensive for the 30 packs. They also gotta buy chew or smokes and hold back enough for that 500mg choco cannabis bar.

These halfwits will drink anything that's 30% less expensive and 50% of them have NEVER put a light beer to their lips. In their eyes, a real man would never emasculate himself like that.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by ElCoco

There's hope for them yet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/former-anheuser-busch-executive-shocked-by-company-s-losses-mulvaney-partnership-was-a-mistake/ar-AA1dHWuP?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0eac1fe83ead450bb130c04fed302a8b&ei=16

I have to believe that a company as large as this isn't going to collapse over Dylan Mulvaney. The article raises a good question, though. This beer is typically apolitical. It has, until now, branded itself as the beer of sports and country music concerts. Why choose to wade into politics, particularly something a hot-button as this, if you don't need to?

Wild at Heart
0 likes

Quote by AngelEthics

I have to believe that a company as large as this isn't going to collapse over Dylan Mulvaney. The article raises a good question, though. This beer is typically apolitical. It has, until now, branded itself as the beer of sports and country music concerts. Why choose to wade into politics, particularly something a hot-button as this, if you don't need to?

lol "they made it political" by including a person.