Login

Is discrimination ever acceptable?

last reply
10 replies
1 watcher
7 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes

Are there any circumstances where treating different people/groups differently, is acceptable?

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes

Of course there are. What matters is what you're using as the basis to differentiate between people. If I'm hiring people to build a house, I'm going to discriminate between competent and incompetent builders, and only the competent ones will get the job. That's a fine and sensible form of discrimination. On the other hand, if I hold the opinion that only Latino men can build a house and no one else is qualified, then my basis for discrimination is suspect, and you might accuse me of being racist.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Head Penguin
1 like

Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

Of course there are. What matters is what you're using as the basis to differentiate between people. If I'm hiring people to build a house, I'm going to discriminate between competent and incompetent builders, and only the competent ones will get the job. That's a fine and sensible form of discrimination. On the other hand, if I hold the opinion that only Latino men can build a house and no one else is qualified, then my basis for discrimination is suspect, and you might accuse me of being racist.

I don't think your example constitutes discrimination as that's merely an unfalsifiable value judgement based on perceived differences of competence. You might as well call choosing one chocolate brand over another discrimination. I'm talking about discrimination between two groups or people where there is an inherent trait that exists that makes them different but all other things are equal.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

I do things that are discriminatory. I preferentially choose black and women run businesses when I want to spend money, for example and I think that's acceptable.

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

Quote by DanielleX

Are there any circumstances where treating different people/groups differently, is acceptable?

Yes. In order for people to get the same outcomes sometimes allowances have to be made.

Discrimination has a negative connotation but it doesn’t have to. Sometimes acknowledging differences can be really empowering.

"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes

Yes.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Easily amused
2 likes

Of course. You discriminate every day. If you're hiring, you discriminate against stupid people, or lazy people, or people without the proper skills, when you hire the most competent person. You discriminate when you're dating, where you are disallowing those you don't find attractive, for whatever reason. You discriminate when you buy stuff, when, as AngelEthic says, all sorts of personal prejudices and preferences come into play.

The issue, to me, is whether discrimination against constitutionally protected groups (like gay people) by a business serving the public is acceptable. I'd argue no. SCOTUS clearly disagrees. But overall, I'd say you need discrimination just to survive the day.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)