Login

Listening to this song reduces anxiety by 65%

last reply
63 replies
5.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
Marconi Union worked with sound therapists to create their track 'Weightless', which is widely regarded as the most relaxing tune in the world.

A UK study found that it reduced overall anxiety by 65%, and resulted in a 35% reduction in physiological resting rates. Researchers measured brain activity, heart rate, blood pressure and rate of breathing. Its carefully arranged harmonies, rhythms, and bass lines help slow a listener's heart rate, reduce blood pressure and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

According to Lyz Cooper, the founder of the British Academy of Sound Therapy, there are basic musical principles that correlate with relaxation. She explains that the song “contains a sustaining rhythm that starts at 60 beats per minute and gradually slows to around 50.” The listener’s heartbeat will naturally slow down to match the track’s BPM (beats per minute). The song’s length is also critical. Cooper explains, “It takes about five minutes for this process, known as entrainment, to occur. And there is no repeating melody, which allows your brain to completely switch off because you are no longer trying to predict what is coming next.”

Does it work for you? Do you use music or sounds to reduce anxiety and stress?

Link

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
No scientific research behind it, but this song is pretty chill:

Don't believe everything that you read.

This one, too:

Unicorn Wrangler
Quote by trinket
Hmmm I listened to "weightless" and it actually irritated me. I'm not sure what to make of that.

It means it's not your cup of tea. Simple as that. Not every song will appeal to every person.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
Quote by NymphWriter
It means it's not your cup of tea. Simple as that. Not every song will appeal to every person.

That's not what the OP suggests.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Clumeleon
Quote by trinket
Hmmm I listened to "weightless" and it actually irritated me. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Perhaps you're an abnormally anxious person, and so even a 65% reduction in anxiety levels didn't make much of a dent.

Watching the video was as relaxing as listening to the music, for me. I'm interested in the theory of not having a repeated melody—it certainly did seem to allow you to listen without really having to pay attention.

Music isn't typically something I use to destress. I haven't been suffering from much stress or anxiety lately, so it's hard to say if this had much effect, but it sounds like there is some decent research to back it up.
Lurker
Quote by trinket
I don't doubt the stats are true, I was surprised it irritated me considering those stats. I am an overly anxious person.

17 sprouts in this pan
Cryptic Vigilante
Whether or not that track could potentially reduce my anxiety would be extremely variable for me. If I'm deliberately trying to relax while closing my eyes and forcing myself into an uninvolved mental state similar to when I'm properly meditating, yeah, I could conceivably experience a few of the reported benefits (this recording actually resembles a meditation track much more than a conventional 'song'). In pretty much any other situation however (eg. lounging in my apartment, driving my car, having a dinner with friends, etc.), it would just fucking get on my nerves, haha.

I mean, the whole point of complementing my activities with music is to elicit a specific mood/energy with suitable evocative songs. There's hardly any sort of emotion conveyed in that one track (unless you consider flatline tranquility to be an emotion, which I really don't), so I'd find it pretty damn irritating during my daily occupations. It would practically feel like staring at a TV that's turned off when you just want to relax in front of a quiet program (which would paradoxically be rather upsetting). Sure the whole "there is no repeating melody, which allows your brain to completely switch off" might work in a meditative perspective, but in just about any other circumstances the absolute absence of movement/regularity/coherence would just seriously exasperate me and inevitably provoke a rather massive "is that goddamn track fucking going anywhere!?".

Anyway, I'd rather just stick to listening to unadorned alpha/theta waves while I'm meditating. When I'm involved in casual activities at home, what works best for me to relax is to listen to Mozart's piano sonatas:

Cryptic Vigilante
And as counterintuitive as it might sound, energetic songs like the one featured below can work fantastically well for me to unwind after a stressful day. Pump up the volume and hit the weights at full intensity to release all of my angst, fuck/masturbate vigorously afterward, and I'm guaranteed to sleep like an angelic baby.

Why strive to insistently manage your anxiety when you can just let it all out instead?

Rainbow Warrior
Steve Roach has been producing ambient 'spacial' music like this for 30 years. A lot of it is even more relaxing than this track. I use it to meditate.
Lurker
So if you had zero stress to begin with, does the song make you slip into a coma??
Unicorn Wrangler
Quote by noll
That's not what the OP suggests.

Nowhere in the OP does it say or suggest that everyone will like it. That's just a fact of human nature.
Quote by SereneProdigy
Whether or not that track could potentially reduce my anxiety would be extremely variable for me. If I'm deliberately trying to relax while closing my eyes and forcing myself into an uninvolved mental state similar to when I'm properly meditating, yeah, I could conceivably experience a few of the reported benefits (this recording actually resembles a meditation track much more than a conventional 'song'). In pretty much any other situation however (eg. lounging in my apartment, driving my car, having a dinner with friends, etc.), it would just fucking get on my nerves, haha.

I mean, the whole point of complementing my activities with music is to elicit a specific mood/energy with suitable evocative songs. There's hardly any sort of emotion conveyed in that one track (unless you consider flatline tranquility to be an emotion, which I really don't), so I'd find it pretty damn irritating during my daily occupations. It would practically feel like staring at a TV that's turned off when you just want to relax in front of a quiet program (which would paradoxically be rather upsetting). Sure the whole "there is no repeating melody, which allows your brain to completely switch off" might work in a meditative perspective, but in just about any other circumstances the absolute absence of movement/regularity/coherence would just seriously exasperate me and inevitably provoke a rather massive "is that goddamn track fucking going anywhere!?".

Anyway, I'd rather just stick to listening to unadorned alpha/theta waves while I'm meditating. When I'm involved in casual activities at home, what works best for me to relax is to listen to Mozart's piano sonatas:

I agree with all of that except for the piano music, and perhaps especially baroque, which really gets on my nerves rather quick.

I also agree that more energetic music works better for me. Though I'd go for a slightly different genre:

Quote by NymphWriter
Nowhere in the OP does it say or suggest that everyone will like it. That's just a fact of human nature.

You responded to Trinket who said it "actually irritated" her, which you seem to have read as not liking, but I read it as not bringing down anxiety (or worse) as that's what the thread is about.
And the OP kinda suggests it works for everyone: "A UK study found that it reduced overall anxiety by 65%, and resulted in a 35% reduction in physiological resting rates." So if it doesn't work at all for one person then it would have to reduce anxiety by 100% for two other people to get to that average of 65%.

Convict
Quote by FindMyHeart2Night

17 sprouts in this pan

Those little green balls could possibly reduce my anxiety, if you were standing in front of me with your mouth open, and I threw them at you, trying to land them in your mouth. Then you have to chew them and swallow them. OMG
Alpha Blonde
Quote by noll

You responded to Trinket who said it "actually irritated" her, which you seem to have read as not liking, but I read it as not bringing down anxiety (or worse) as that's what the thread is about.
And the OP kinda suggests it works for everyone: "A UK study found that it reduced overall anxiety by 65%, and resulted in a 35% reduction in physiological resting rates." So if it doesn't work at all for one person then it would have to reduce anxiety by 100% for two other people to get to that average of 65%.

Now, now, there's no need to be confrontational about it. In this thread, everyone is right.

The original post does say, 'Does it work for you?'.

Concerns about research methods can be directed to UK neuroscientists, and specifically, Dr. David Lewis-Hodgson of Mindlab International.
Alpha Blonde
Quote by trinket

Not everyone can be right all of the time, Doll. It's going to be that soft in here? We aren't in kindergarten.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me, it's all the other BS that came with it in the "other" forum. Am I allowed to say "BS"?

Yes, the Spa isn't a place for continuing arguments. People can kindly disagree and then leave it at that. Going on through multiple exchanges about the same point often derails a thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Note: I did say 'In this thread everyone is right' because I asked whether a piece of music worked for them in the way the UK study suggested. Everyone experiences music (and anxiety) differently, so nobody is wrong.
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Now, now, there's no need to be confrontational about it. In this thread, everyone is right.

May I ask what exactly did you find confrontational about it? Because I merely explained my previous post, which seemed not to have been interpreted the way I meant it. Ironing out possible creases in the fabric of this thread so to speak ;)

Quote by trinket

Not everyone can be right all of the time, Doll. It's going to be that soft in here? We aren't in kindergarten.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me, it's all the other BS that came with it in the "other" forum. Am I allowed to say "BS"?

LOL, from Noll to Doll.

#forumpoetry

Alpha Blonde
Quote by noll

May I ask what exactly did you find confrontational about it? Because I merely explained my previous post, which seemed not to have been interpreted the way I meant it. Ironing out possible creases in the fabric of this thread so to speak ;)

It seemed like you were going back and forth about the same point and trying to prove each other wrong. The anxiety in the thread seemed to increase, regardless of the musical helpers. My post was meant to nudge it back in the right direction since I'd started a topic on reducing anxiety. It actually wasn't a 'formal mod warning'. I just wanted to restore the harmony and get back to talking about relaxing music. *hugs*
One of the early examples of this kind of ambient music is Brian Eno's Music For Airports, which was created from loops of piano and synthesizer, of varying lengths played on repeat, so that different notes would go in and out of synch with each other. The music was intended to be both interesting and ignorable. The sparseness of the music was supposed to create calm and thoughtfulness in travelers.

The music was actually installed at LaGuardia Airport in the 1980s. Contrary to Eno's intentions, many passengers found the music to be distracting and annoying.

Detention Seeker
I Love to relax fully by listening to my Old School Trance mixes
The Linebacker
For relaxing I like to kick back with a drink, probably a bourbon whiskey or maybe a Scotch, smoke an expensive cigar, and listen to either blues music or Chopin piano music.

Quote by Dancing_Doll
It actually wasn't a 'formal mod warning'. I just wanted to restore the harmony and get back to talking about relaxing music. *hugs*

Didn't take it as such.

The Linebacker
Quote by noll

Didn't take it as such.

Chill...