Login

What do you guys think?

last reply
18 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lush Legend
MADISON, Wis. — Police who videotaped a man having sex with his comatose wife in her nursing home room violated his constitutional rights, an appeals court ruled Thursday.

David W. Johnson, 59, had an expectation to privacy when he visited his wife, a stroke victim, at Divine Savior Nursing Home in Portage, the District 4 Court of Appeals ruled. Therefore, police violated his constitutional rights against unreasonable searches when they installed a hidden video camera in the room, the court said.

"We are satisfied that Johnson's expectation of privacy while visiting his wife in her nursing home room is one that society would recognize as reasonable," the unanimous three-judge panel wrote.

The ruling means prosecutors cannot introduce the videotapes as evidence in their case against Johnson, who is charged with felony sexual assault for having intercourse with his wife without her consent at least three times in 2005.

Johnson's attorney, Christopher Kelly, said his client would visit his 54-year-old wife every day, reading her the Bible and moving her arms and legs so her muscles wouldn't atrophy.

The woman's sister is upset that prosecutors brought charges against him, Kelly said. "She believes her sister's husband was merely expressing his love for his wife and was trying everything he could to bring her back to consciousness," Kelly said.

The couple married in 1988 and had no children, Kelly said.

Kelly said he believed prosecutors would be forced to drop the charges without the evidence on the tapes and thought the appeals court made "a pretty obvious call."

Johnson's wife was admitted to the nursing home after suffering a stroke. Court records say she was unable to speak or sit up, and nursing home staff members fed, cleaned and turned her. Prosecutors say she was comatose.

Johnson visited her frequently and sometimes would close the door to her room so they could have privacy as allowed by the nursing home. But staff members tipped off police, fearing she was in danger because, they suspected, he was having sex with her.

Police obtained a search warrant to videotape the room and installed the camera, which ran for three weeks. Johnson, who is free on bail, was charged based on that evidence.

Sauk County Circuit Judge Patrick Taggart tossed out the evidence last year, ruling it stemmed from an illegal search. Prosecutors appealed, arguing Johnson had a right to privacy when he visited his wife to care for her but not when he used the room for what they contend was illegal intercourse.

The appeals court affirmed Taggart's ruling.
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
So the husband has rights. What about the wife? Doesn't she have any?
Lush Legend
That is what I'm talking about. I mean I know that its his wife but come on.....
Lurker
I can't believe he has so little respect for her that he'd fuck her while she's out like that. It's for his pleasure only, she doesn't feel it.
Lush Legend
This what his attorney and his wife's sister said:

"Johnson's attorney, Christopher Kelly, said his client would visit his now 54-year-old wife every day, reading her the Bible and moving her arms and legs so her muscles wouldn't atrophy.

The woman's sister is upset that prosecutors brought charges against him, Kelly said. "She believes her sister's husband was merely expressing his love for his wife and was trying everything he could to bring her back to consciousness," Kelly said.

The couple married in 1988 and had no children, Kelly said.

Kelly said he believed prosecutors would be forced to drop the charges without the evidence on the tapes and thought the appeals court made "a pretty obvious call." "
Active Ink Slinger
How sickening...That's how he shows his love for his wife...screwing her while comatose?! He must be some kind of necrophiliac or something...
Active Ink Slinger
Was this ever happened to you or have you ever done this:

He/she is sleeping and the power came over you - you need it - NOW.
You climb on and - hump'a hump'a. They never wake up!
Or morning sex where they wake up sometime during sex.

There is no 'yes' from your partner, but it's ok.

We (the wife) and I have an agreement.
If you feel the need, please do indeed.

Bat
Lush Legend
Quote by Batman
Was this ever happened to you or have you ever done this:

He/she is sleeping and the power came over you - you need it - NOW.
You climb on and - hump'a hump'a. They never wake up!
Or morning sex where they wake up sometime during sex.

There is no 'yes' from your partner, but it's ok.

We (the wife) and I have an agreement.
If you feel the need, please do indeed.

Bat

Yes this has happened before but you said two key words.....sleep and agreement.....

This particular wife is in a vegetative state and will not be waking up anytime soon.
Seeker
I think it is horrible!
Mr Nobody
The case is not lost. Its just that evidence which was illegally obtained
is out. Mainly because someone did not get a warrant to do the recording.
Sloppy policing.
Matriarch
It's just plain wrong in my book, she's comatose for heaven's sake
Active Ink Slinger
I'm with Lush it's just plain wrong.
Matriarch
She believes her sister's husband was merely expressing his love for his wife and was trying everything he could to bring her back to consciousness

It's odd the sister was ok with it all
Lurker
I never did that with the wife, Bat. I have had it where she has asked if we had sex last night. She couldn't remember!
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
Quote by roccotool
I never did that with the wife, Bat. I have had it where she has asked if we had sex last night. She couldn't remember!

Dear GOD! How could she NOT remember having sex with YOU?

Dirty Talk Competition story: His Voice

New Mac & Grace story: Boardrooms & Boudoirs - Part Three -Chapters 9-12

The Last Dance - Part 4 & Part 5

The Last Dance is a love story, but not your ordinary love story. I’d love for people to check it out. Thanks! 🥰

New short story: Under The Doctor's Desk

New micro: Another Man’s Wife

Lush Legend
Quote by Lush
She believes her sister's husband was merely expressing his love for his wife and was trying everything he could to bring her back to consciousness

It's odd the sister was ok with it all

Yeah that struck me as odd too....
Lush Legend
Quote by DBarclay
The case is not lost. Its just that evidence which was illegally obtained
is out. Mainly because someone did not get a warrant to do the recording.
Sloppy policing.

Very sloppy policing....I hate when people get off over a technicality....
Lurker
Maybe the sister has a thing for the husband.
Lurker
Yeah, a search warrant would have been the way to go. I can't believe they didn't get one. Well...I DO believe it, but in this day and age a warant should be, and is, routine. At least in CA it is. By the way, pursuant to CA law, it is illegal to have sex with someone if they are not aware it is occurring. Yes, this includes a wife, but it's a much harder case to prove. Not the case mentioned above, that should have been a slam dunk conviction.
Lush Legend
I agree BGB.......again I go back to D's comment of bad policing.....