USA Women win the World Cup!!!

last reply
47 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Some people think they are all that and a bag of chips.

The best team won. Team USA. I would have said the same had another team won. Some teams made some fatal errors. Some didn't take the opportunities they should have. It's easy to go back and criticize. Brava to all the ladies from all the different teams for trying. Congrats to Japan for 2nd place, and England for 3rd. I hope as more and more kids become involved in soccer (football to my UK friends) we see greater teams especially in the US. It's a sport my son played for 12 years and it did him a lot of good.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by kiera
I agree and England/USA final would have been awsome..that own goal against Japan sucked for us big time..not that i saw it as it was on late i was asleep but i saw in the morning and face palmed sad

Yeah... mistakes like that happen to even the best of teams.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
How could we be prouder? What a great bunch of women can do when they work together!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lurker
0 likes

Not my game, I'm into golf and American football, still it's great to see our team's not only compete at a high level on the world stage but win against the best teams the world has to offer. =d>
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

In the USA, male athletes flock to American football, basketball, baseball and in the northern states, hockey. All those sports are much more popular than soccer in the US with men and those sports are what most American males put all of their efforts into. So I doubt the USA will have a serious contender for the men's World Cup anytime in my lifetime and I'm 29. It's not a knock on soccer, it's just how it is here.

The popularity of soccer/football in America has grown tremendously over the past ten years and will continue grow. But you are quite right in saying that American men have little interest in soccer. America has its own sports which, I believe, suits its cultural identity more.

The difference between American sports and soccer: American sports are stop-start games with short and intense bursts of action and plenty of ad breaks. Whereas soccer is a free-flowing game with slow build up and tactical awareness that American men just don't seem to appreciate. The north and central American sporting culture is worlds apart from the rest of the world. But why is that?

My theory is that American TV is hugely dependant on advertising, and American sports allow plenty of time outs in which to air commercials. It's probably a ridiculous theory but it's all I can think of.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by flossy

The popularity of soccer/football in America has grown tremendously over the past ten years and will continue grow. But you are quite right in saying that American men have little interest in soccer. America has its own sports which, I believe, suits its cultural identity more.

The difference between American sports and soccer: American sports are stop-start games with short and intense bursts of action and plenty of ad breaks. Whereas soccer is a free-flowing game with slow build up and tactical awareness that American men just don't seem to appreciate. The north and central American sporting culture is worlds apart from the rest of the world. But why is that?

My theory is that American TV is hugely dependant on advertising, and American sports allow plenty of time outs in which to air commercials. It's probably a ridiculous theory but it's all I can think of.

There is just as much strategy in the American games, but its not obvious unless you fully understand the rules and concepts. But soccer is a very new game to most of the USA. It has only been added to high school sports in most states within the last 25 years. Whereas my old high school has fielded a football and baseball team for well over 100 years and basketball for almost 80 years.

In the region I grew up, almost zero native American born boys played on an organized soccer team, but most of them at some point played on a football, baseball or basketball team. On top of that those sports run by consecutive seasons and one could play all three, but soccer would be played at the same time as either football or baseball, further hurting the number of boys that played it.

Soccer is growing in popularity and while it has become very popular with school age girls, feeding into the numbers that can play at higher levels, it will just take time for it to increase its popularity with the boys. And you have to consider, fathers have a huge influence on fueling their sons' sports interests and very few of them here ever played soccer. My dad played football, baseball and basketball in high school and was unaware of any public high schools in our state even having a soccer team. He said at that time only elite rich private schools played soccer. But now, not all, but a large number of the public high schools do field a boys soccer team.

You are right about television having a huge influence on sports strategy, especially American football, our most popular spectator sport. When the TV networks figured out that higher scores meant higher viewer ratings, the NFL changed its rules to accommodate that. The blocking techniques currently used to protect quarterbacks were illegal throughout most of the history of the sport, but the rules have been changing over the past couple of decades to allow more leeway to allow the offense to block (hold) the defensive players. That means more touchdowns, higher scores, higher TV ratings, bigger revenue.

In basketball, the NBA referees don't even call 'walking or traveling'. When you see a player take 3 steps in order to leap and dunk a basketball. Technically, that is illegal. But the fans like to see those dunks, better TV ratings, more revenue.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Buz

There is just as much strategy in the American games, .

Like in foot ball. you hold this ball and run really fast and hit people.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
There also seems to be an anti-soccer attitude with many people. Instead of just ignoring it, much like people do with hockey (I mean come on, most americans don't give a shit) or cricket or rugby they actively hate it. They think it's un-American. There are many many Americans who are xenophobic. It's the same ones who started calling french fries freedom fries. It's retarded.

There are xenophobic people in America, as there are in every country, but it doesn't seem to be a major problem in the states like it is in Asia, where it is widespread. It's mainly isolated to a few certain states now. I don't know that for certain, but I'm the type of person who likes to think the best of everyone. I believe the 'freedom fries' term was coined as a little dig at the French after they refused to join the war in Iraq. (France is not a war-like country.)

The reason for a majority of Americans hating soccer is due to the world popularity of soccer. America is a phenomenally proud and patriotic nation that has its own culture and unique brand of sport. Sport played by them and them only, to a certain extent. I mean, other countries play basketball, but not like the Americans do - American basketball players are tremendous athletes and would trounce any other country's opposition you put in front of them.

Now sports such as cricket and rugby are insignificant in comparison to the enormity of soccer and can easily be swept under the carpet and forgotten about. But soccer is enormous, by far the most popular sport in the world, and impossible to ignore. The majority of Americans would like to ignore soccer but, since it's impossible to ignore, they hate it instead.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
In basketball, the NBA referees don't even call 'walking or traveling'. When you see a player take 3 steps in order to leap and dunk a basketball. Technically, that is illegal. But the fans like to see those dunks, better TV ratings, more revenue.

Advertising is big business in the states and there is enormous pressure on the TV networks to increase ratings and turn over larger profits in order to keep share holders happy. I have watched American sports and was quite shocked at the frequency of advertisement breaks. But then TV ratings and profit is the be-all-and-end-all for the US TV networks, far more so than in the UK.

I played a little basketball at school and am aware of the 'traveling' rule which states that a player can only take three steps once they stop bouncing the ball. I can understand why rules change in sport. Sport has to evolve in order to please the spectators. It's the fans who generate the money. More spectators, more profit.

What I would like to know is, why do American football players were all that protective equipment? They wear crash helmets and all that body padding, yet rugby players wear nothing other than a gum shield. Is American football a more dangerous sport than rugby?
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Soccer is slowly coming into popularity here in America with more and more kids playing soccer and seeing teams like the amazing Women's team play and win. Some parents are looking for a sport that is an alternative to football and one that even little ones can play. That's why I got my son into soccer initially. He could play as young as 4 years old, and it was for the most part non-contact (no, I'm not a idiot... contact in soccer comes later.) Over time, he found he really enjoyed playing soccer and was pretty good at it. He was a goalie for 7 of his 12 years of active play, took 1st place twice and participated in two tournaments. Even his Eagle Scout project was to give back to the soccer community by building a fence along a walk-way at the fields he played on to reduce erosion and prevent someone from falling down a steep hill.

As more American families discover the fun of soccer and learn the skill and fundamentals of soccer, they will see the beauty of this sport. Before my son played, I just thought it was about kicking the ball and not using your hands. Now I now it's a game of skill, strength, and talent. The level of endurance it takes for these players (kids and adults) is beyond impressive. It's a sport that doesn't discriminate between boys and girls, and it's one that encourages physical fitness, agility, teamwork, and sportsmanship.

It won't happen over night... but I'm confident an increase in popularity it will happen. I was a proud soccer mom and still enjoy watching a good game be it kids or adults.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well done to the USA ladies. It is funny, the only 2 teams to defeat the Aussies were Japan and USA. Watch out next time for the Matildas (Aussies).
"Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love." Woody Allen

"I am willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong." Samuel Goldwyn
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I think what happens is this. The majority of Americans play soccer as kids for the same reason everyone else in the world does - it's cheap. When kids get older, I think they start to think, soccer is fucking hard to play, it's so tiring, it's frustrating, there is no timeouts and no sweet pads n shit. Most Americans just can't play soccer at the pace and skill level that is required to compete professionally. Maybe if there were a million time outs and a rule book as thick as the bible, then maybe they can find a way to win, like gridiron football. There also seems to be an anti-soccer attitude with many people. Instead of just ignoring it, much like people do with hockey (I mean come on, most americans don't give a shit) or cricket or rugby they actively hate it. They think it's un-American. There are many many Americans who are xenophobic. It's the same ones who started calling french fries freedom fries. It's retarded.

The American women though... There is no pro baseball, hockey or football league (that I know of) So soccer is still a great option for athletic American girls.

Actually, when it comes to degree of difficulty soccer is behind every major American sport.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills?sort=total_rank#grid

As you can see, Baseball is even ranked more difficult than soccer.

As far as when the American men are going to show up ? I don't think they can even her that question . Because they have too many Olympic medals clogging up thier ears. When is the rest of the World gonna show up there?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by tubby1961
Well done to the USA ladies. It is funny, the only 2 teams to defeat the Aussies were Japan and USA. Watch out next time for the Matildas (Aussies).

They're only as good as thier last game. Remember that.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Ajax

Actually, when it comes to degree of difficulty soccer is behind every major American sport.

As far as when the American men are going to show up ? I don't think they can even her that question . Because they have too many Olympic medals clogging up thier ears. When is the rest of the World gonna show up there?

Maybe you could explain the off side rule to us next Ajax??

I think no matter what the sport, Athletes all train bloody hard and should all be recognised for it.

Congrats again to the USA Ladies on their win.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ajax

They're only as good as thier last game. Remember that.

Gee Ajax you must be a scholar or even a guru to come up with that statement. Hopefully next time the Aussie girls meet the Yanks they will have more stamina and will play the full game like they did in the first half and you never know who will win.

Bring it on in 4 years time.

"I am willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong." Samuel Goldwyn
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ajax

Grid iron = bone heads padded up to the hilt and charging into each other. What degree of difficulty is involved there? Throw a ball and another guy catches it...so hard to do. Even Tina Turner admitted that Rugby League players were tougher then American football players as they don't need helmets and all the other padding and stay on the field longer.

I like baseball though am surprised it is ranked harder than soccer. Wait a minute.. isn't espn an American company? They probably are a tad bias don't you think? You should check an independent survey out and get the correct facts.

As to the number of Olympic medals the Yanks get, could the reason be that they field so many more athletes then anyone else so law of averages means they are bound to get more medals. It doesn't matter how many medals you win, it is the way you play that counts.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kiera

Maybe you could explain the off side rule to us next Ajax??

I think no matter what the sport, Athletes all train bloody hard and should all be recognised for it.

Congrats again to the USA Ladies on their win.

Well said dear lady. I love the way you shake that cute arse of yours....