Recommended Read

last reply
32 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Not a complaint, just asking. Why is it that some stories receive a "Recommended Read" tag, the instant that it gets posted here?.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dave69Fan
Not a complaint, just asking. Why is it that some stories receive a "Recommended Read" tag, the instant that it gets posted here?.

an RR is an award handed out by one of the story mods for a story they think is exceptional and deserves a little extra attention - it's posted as such because it's normally handed out when the mod vets the story.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by Dave69Fan

The simplest answer would be that the moderator who verified and approved the story also rewarded it a Recommended Read. It's not really a mystery.

Edit: Oops, sorry Didn't mean to step on your toes, Sprite.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

The simplest answer would be that the moderator who verified and approved the story also rewarded it a Recommended Read. It's not really a mystery.

go stand in the corner with your nose against the wall until i tell you otherwise, you very very bad man.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by sprite

go stand in the corner with your nose against the wall until i tell you otherwise, you very very bad man.

How do you always give us exactly what we want???
Lurker
0 likes
It is a way of expressing a fondness. Usually by the verifying mod.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by calx86
Sounds intriguing. Maybe someday with practice, I'll be awarded an RR heart

Just keep writing. like anything else, you get better and better with practice. smile

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
On a humorous note, being a member of both the red and blue sites, I can attest that in order to get an RR or EC on the blue site, you have to catch dragon breath in a jar and kneel before the mods. Over here on the red site, they get passed out like Tic-Tacs.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

an RR is an award handed out by one of the story mods for a story they think is exceptional and deserves a little extra attention - it's posted as such because it's normally handed out when the mod vets the story.

Hi, thanks for the reply. But really, that's it, just based on one mod's opinion, if he/she likes it ?. Doesn't really add up to that much then !?.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

Sometimes an RR is awarded by another story mod, other than the verifier who has read the story. If we give an RR we think it is an exceptional story. It could be that the story mod thought enough of it to nominate it for an EP, or they thought it was exceptional but not quite EP nomination material.

If your story receives an RR it should have excellent grammar, storyline, sentence structure, and be captivating to the reader. Mods put their reputations on the line by awarding one, especially with each other.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by Warlock
On a humorous note, being a member of both the red and blue sites, I can attest that in order to get an RR or EC on the blue site, you have to catch dragon breath in a jar and kneel before the mods. Over here on the red site, they get passed out like Tic-Tacs.

Your implication being that we hand them out wily-nily? That is not the case. The ratio of RR stories to non RR stories, tips in favour of non RR stories.
Candyman
0 likes
Quote by Dave69Fan
Hi, thanks for the reply. But really, that's it, just based on one mod's opinion, if he/she likes it ?. Doesn't really add up to that much then !?.

A Recommended Read is not something the Story Mods just hand out. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, dialogue, humor and prurience, as well as the overall flow of the story dictate if the RR is awarded. Add in if a story is submitted with little to no correction, we tend to lean toward the award, so, sometimes, yes it is just one Story Mods opinion.

Keep in mind we, the Story Mods, see many hundreds of submissions every month and occasionally some will stand out. Those that do get awarded a Recommended Read. Occasionally, we may hesitate on the award, go back a day or so later and re-evaluate and grant the RR. It even happens that other Story Mods might read something we hesitated on and grant one. For the most part, it is a very opinion oriented award, but if you give the story a read through and compare it to some that have not been awarded the RR, you might see some of the reasons why.

For the Editor's Choice, the Story Mods recommend a story to the review panel. You'd be surprised how many stories each of us have recommended that have gone ungranted. Although, if a member wins a Story Competition, it is pretty much a shoe-in for an EC.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lauradj

Your implication being that we hand them out wily-nily? That is not the case. The ratio of RR stories to non RR stories, tips in favour of non RR stories.

I was trying to keep it humorous. Actually, mathematically probably a true statement given the totality of membership. However, the odds do change when you take only those members who have received RR's and apply the ratio. There is a member here who has posted 49 stories, 40 of which were given RR's and EC's. Tic-Tac anyone?
Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

I was trying to keep it humorous. Actually, mathematically probably a true statement given the totality of membership. However, the odds do change when you take only those members who have received RR's and apply the ratio. There is a member here who has posted 49 stories, 40 of which were given RR's and EC's. Tic-Tac anyone?

Because they're excellent stories.......................
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

True, it's only a few stories compared to the whole that receive an RR. Many members post dozens of stories and have never received one. While some of the few who are the most outstanding writers hit RR level with nearly every submission.

It's the story quality that earns it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

True, it's only a few stories compared to the whole that receive an RR. Many members post dozens of stories and have never received one. While some of the few who are the most outstanding writers hit RR level with nearly every submission.

It's the story quality that earns it.

This in no way is intended to diminish the ability of any author here on Lush (or the other site). This is a commentary on process only.

The quality of a story is a subjective determination in the eyes of the reader. Since an RR is not determined by a committee, that means it is also a singularly subjective award.

There are many good writers here on Lush. Some are great writers. Most of them don't get any recognition at all, certainly nowhere near 82% of everything they post. So can you really say "quality" is the only consideration in giving an RR?

A reasonable person would think not.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dave69Fan

if you re-read my post, it actually uses the word "exceptional". i like a lot of stories that aren't exceptional. i haven't given any of those an RR.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

This in no way is intended to diminish the ability of any author here on Lush (or the other site). This is a commentary on process only.

The quality of a story is a subjective determination in the eyes of the reader. Since an RR is not determined by a committee, that means it is also a singularly subjective award.

There are many good writers here on Lush. Some are great writers. Most of them don't get any recognition at all, certainly nowhere near 82% of everything they post. So can you really say "quality" is the only consideration in giving an RR?

A reasonable person would think not.

*shrugs* we've gone through all this a few times. not sure what your point is, but you would have to admit it sounds like griping. as i've said every time. feel free to PM me a list of stories/writers that you think are deserving of an RR and i'll be happy to take a look when i have time. i may agree with you, i may not. personally, i make a point not to hand out RRs to the obvious people and give them to people who i feel fly under the radar. often, eventually those people get to be better known and end up with several RRs and/or EPs and suddenly people are like 'why does so and so have so many awards' at which point i start to think, if people are going to keep bitching about it, how about we just stop doing it altogether, because, obviously, no matter what we do, we can't make everyone happy.

so there you go. not writing this in a defensive manner, nor am i attacking you or anyone else posting opinions in this thread. just telling it as i see it.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

maybe, just maybe, they are a damn good writer. it's possible, you know. i, myself, have a bunch. could be i am just a damn good writer. could be i slip all the mods cash when no ones looking to pump up my ego. could be they're just scared of me. i actually have the power to rescind all of those awards. if it will make you feel better, i'd be happy to do so just so no one thinks there is any favoritism going on. just let me know and i'll make it happen.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

That's what the Blair Witch makes people do ?????❤️

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

maybe, just maybe, they are a damn good writer. it's possible, you know. i, myself, have a bunch. could be i am just a damn good writer. could be i slip all the mods cash when no ones looking to pump up my ego. could be they're just scared of me. i actually have the power to rescind all of those awards. if it will make you feel better, i'd be happy to do so just so no one thinks there is any favoritism going on. just let me know and i'll make it happen.

I know better, but damned if I don't do it anyway. Stepping out into the light and expressing a comment to a post never ends well, no matter how respectful and courteous you try to be.

I don't care who gets an RR or who doesn't Sprite. It's never been on my list of high concerns. Respect is, however.

Be well.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

I know better, but damned if I don't do it anyway. Stepping out into the light and expressing a comment to a post never ends well, no matter how respectful and courteous you try to be.

I don't care who gets an RR or who doesn't Sprite. It's never been on my list of high concerns. Respect is, however.

Be well.

you have to understand, my inbox is constantly flooded with these kind of comments/complaints/etc. and i always try to be respectful in answering. that doesn't mean what that the PMs are respectful. many are very rude, to put it mildly. after doing this for as long as i have been, my patience sometimes grows thin, especially with themes that are constantly repeated. The RRs are a constantly repeated theme and one that i have grown tired of explaining over and over, knowing that my words fall on deaf ears.

respectfully yours,
sprite

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

And it's pretty easy to figure out who that 40 for 49 writer is, and she is worthy of each and every RR/EC. More, probably.

Yes, Larry the Warlock, you are hiding behind a scrim of humor and civility, but some bitterness and envy is clearly visible at the edges. An RR means someone who reads stories thought the story worth noting. It's not the frikkin Academy Awards. It's like a Post-It note - here, read this, I thought it was good.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

And it's pretty easy to figure out who that 40 for 49 writer is, and she is worthy of each and every RR/EC. More, probably.

Yes, Larry the Warlock, you are hiding behind a scrim of humor and civility, but some bitterness and envy is clearly visible at the edges. An RR means someone who reads stories thought the story worth noting. It's not the frikkin Academy Awards. It's like a Post-It note - here, read this, I thought it was good.

I am Warlock. I am also known as Larry to my friends. I am not known as Larry the Warlock. Glad we cleared that up.

I assure you Verbal, you don't know me at all and haven't got the slightest clue about what my feelings are one way or the other. I'm content you have an opinion about it, but don't be so presumptuous as to assume you speak in fact. As well, I believe you meant frickin Pulitzer Prize and not frickin Academy Awards.

So we are clear, I merely selected an extreme example based on what the badges reflected. The author is a very good writer and deserving of RR's without question. Your defense of the author is unnecessary and self-serving.

There are many great writers here on Lush and they will be read whether they get an RR or not. I would suggest we leave it at that.
Lurker
0 likes
As the poster of this thread i have asked that it be removed. It was simply asked as a genuine question, not to cause any rifts here. Dave
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Warlock

I am Warlock. I am also known as Larry to my friends. I am not known as Larry the Warlock. Glad we cleared that up.

I assure you Verbal, you don't know me at all and haven't got the slightest clue about what my feelings are one way or the other. I'm content you have an opinion about it, but don't be so presumptuous as to assume you speak in fact. As well, I believe you meant frickin Pulitzer Prize and not frickin Academy Awards.

So we are clear, I merely selected an extreme example based on what the badges reflected. The author is a very good writer and deserving of RR's without question. Your defense of the author is unnecessary and self-serving.

There are many great writers here on Lush and they will be read whether they get an RR or not. I would suggest we leave it at that.

My apologies if I offended you, Warlock. You did state earlier you were talking about process only, so I will take you at your word. It was your pointing out a specific writer's stats that made me take the bait and bother to respond. No need to single people out if you are talking process only.

At any rate, I agree, we can leave it at that.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dave69Fan
As the poster of this thread i have asked that it be removed. It was simply asked as a genuine question, not to cause any rifts here. Dave

yeah, we don't actually do that except in extreme cases. not really fair to erase everyone else's thoughts because someone has second thoughts on a subject.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by sprite

yeah, we don't actually do that except in extreme cases. not really fair to erase everyone else's thoughts because someone has second thoughts on a subject.

Does that mean I still gotta go stand in the corner until you tell me otherwise?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

Does that mean I still gotta go stand in the corner until you tell me otherwise?

yep. and the more times you ask, the longer it's gonna be.