Points of Interest in Vancouver, B.C.

last reply
10 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I have never been to Vancouver and would appreciate any recommendations for things to see and/or things to do while there. If it matters, it looks like it will be mid-October when I will be there.

As long as I'm soliciting information, does anyone know how reliable the public transportation is in Vancouver?

Thanks for any tips.
0 likes
It all depends on what you like to do....

I personally like to go to the aquarium every chance I can get. As for other points of interest, there is granville island, grouse mountain, wreck beach (clothing optional), robson street (exclusive shopping) the space and science center, to name a few.

As for the public transit...yes it is reliable. Since the olympics they have a huge network of trains which run on a pretty set schedule, you should have no problems getting around.
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have only been to Canada once and the folks there were super nice!!! I definitely want to go back. It's a big country so I guess I need to visit a lot to get it all in. Where are the best places to go hunting, especially some kind of bird hunting?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by pb69
I have never been to Vancouver and would appreciate any recommendations for things to see and/or things to do while there. If it matters, it looks like it will be mid-October when I will be there.

As long as I'm soliciting information, does anyone know how reliable the public transportation is in Vancouver?

All depends on what are your interests?

As Dudealicious has said, there are those must sees he's noted, and the public transit for all of those interests are very reliable. And, note, the taxis are NOT. Per capita in North America, there are the fewest in the city, and one of the most expensive. If the weather is great (which can be in October), around the West End and near the entrance to Stanley Park there are bike rentals which are very reasonable and a great way of exploring the city.

Vancouver has diverse arts - from small venues for indie music, poetry reading, and stage performances. If you are the outdoors type - between the mountains to the north (known as the North Shore) and beyond (Whistler Village) to all of the shoreline - there are plenty of outdoor sporty things.

If you love your coffee/tea - never fear! Vancouver has coffee shops littering almost every street and usually a corner. Lots of patios to sit out, drink a bevy and people watch. The diverse restaurants are abound - and some of the best sushi in North American are found in Vancouver.

This is a picture of the downtown core with the majestic Stanley Park on the right hand tip.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well I'll throw in my two cents. Best coffee in Vancouver for sure is 49th Parallel at 2152 W. 4th Avenue. The "MUST" place to eat is Tojo's where Tojo-san has been producing the best Japanese food in North America for decades. Tojo's is at 1133 West Broadway. If you go to West 4th Avenue, also pick up a true limited edition T-Shirt at IRONHEAD which is a unique Canadian fashion statement that is popular with numerous athletes and rockers like Bryan Adams. Myself, I would rent a car as Vancouver is a huge urban area and public transit is lousy. Take a bike ride around Stanley Park for sure and stop several times to take in the views. Have a good time!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I lived in Vancouver for several years, it is by far one of the most beautiful cities in the world. My favourite spots for views are Burnaby Mountain and Salmon House on the Hill. I never made it to the nude beach, which is called Wreck beach and it is not far from Downtown, just out past the University, but thought it might be of interest to Lushies. Take the Sea Bus and the Sky Train from end to end, cheapest and best tour of the city you can get by far.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
All great places mentioned, but don't forget Vancouver Island! If you get a chance to come over to the Island (and can afford it) check out the sites in Victoria or Tofino or anywhere over here!

More Vancouver sites can also be found at

PS - Wreck Beach is awesome! A decent hike down and back up - something to keep in mind. Might be a tad chilly in mid-October though!

Regardless of what you do and where you go - I hope you enjoy yourself!
"Trying to find something in my head is like watching an episode of Hoarders!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never been outside of the US and I think I'll make Vancouver my first stop.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
It looks like the main points have all been covered... but... if you need the name of a great after-hours club that you have to be 'in the know' to find, send me a PM for details...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Vancouver was wonderful! smile Thank you for the excellent tips.

Here's a little bit of what I did:
went to Granville Island
visited Whistler
met some very friendly locals

It was a truly wonderful time; I definitely plan to visit again. A few days isn't nearly enough time to see some of the great stuff that's there.

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful advice. Canadians are awesome!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by pb69
Vancouver was wonderful! smile Thank you for the excellent tips.

Here's a little bit of what I did:
went to Granville Island
visited Whistler
met some very friendly locals

It was a truly wonderful time; I definitely plan to visit again. A few days isn't nearly enough time to see some of the great stuff that's there.

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful advice. Canadians are awesome!

Love the city and area, even though I haven't been since 1988. Glad you had a good time. I agree, Canadians are so friendly.