Medication Making It Hard To Orgasm?

last reply
5 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have anyone here, who been on an Anti-Depressant ever had problems Enjoying sex, and even More having problems to climax during sex? Before I was put on my anti-depressant, I was not in the mood for sex very often, but when I was in the mood for sex, I did not have to work very hard for my orgasm. Now it seems, even though I crave it more, I have to work extremely hard for me to orgasm. Does that have to do with the meds, or what? I am just confused.
Lurker
0 likes
Your health provider should have advised you on the various side effects of any medication that they prescribe for you ... or at the very least, discuss it with your Pharmacist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressant

Sexual dysfunction is a very common side effect, especially with SSRIs. Common sexual side effects include problems with sexual desire, lack of interest in sex, and anorgasmia (trouble achieving orgasm).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is a very valid side effect of anti depressants that doctors never seem to mention one BIG reason those type of meds will never pass my lips! Though some people truly do need them to function I am a firm believer in diet and exercise. When I'm in the dumps I go bust some extra reps at the gym then adopt a "WTF" attitude and just get on with it! My long time bff started on anti depressants 30 years ago and after taking them a few weeks could no longer orgasm. I felt so bad for her I delivered flowers, hot fudge sundae makings and a new vibrator to her soon as I heard. The vibrator helped but I believe she has never returned totally back to normal even with changing med types. I have also noticed personality changes that are not really for the better because of these type meds. Personally I'd be SO depressed from not being able to cum it would not benefit me to ever take those meds. Thank goodness I have no need for them! If I were you dear I'd do whatever I needed to and get weened off those things asap!
Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh yes...they definitely do. However, there are some that don't affect it so much. Check with your doctor. I know a woman who had that trouble and switch to another brand and that fixed the problem. Good luck.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Some antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and others tend to diminish libido. Others such as Welbutrin are less bothersome.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I take Wellbutrin to counter the problem of not being able to ejaculate normally, which is caused by Cymbalta. The former definitely makes it easier for me to cum, and I get that extra lift from being on two anti-depressants.

I'd rather not take any meds at all, but some of us just can't change our brain chemistry enough with exercise and positive thinking alone. Best of luck getting yourself back into a better place emotionally and sexually!