How do you punish your older child?

last reply
20 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I am looking for more inventive ways then taking away the cell phone or grounding (if I could) a 18+ teen. He has been a total PIA and getting into trouble. Your thoughts?
Lurker
0 likes
if he is over 18 and not listening? i'd do what my parents did to me. my house, you live in it , my rules. Don't like it? get your own place. or since you cant really get charged with child abuse, knock some sense into him.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Smoothtalkin_wolf
I am looking for more inventive ways then taking away the cell phone or grounding (if I could) a 18+ teen. He has been a total PIA and getting into trouble. Your thoughts?

Does he live with you?

If so, what rent/chores does he do?

Do you pay for his car/insurance? Clothes? Etc? Withdrawing funds is often a good way, especially the car, and removing certain parts of it so he can't drive it anyway.

Like Sprichler says, your house, your rules. I don't agree with violence except in self-defence. He is an adult now, and a spanking is not going to work. The last thing you need is a punch-up with your lad, in my opinion.

Why is he playing up? Are there problems in his life, or is he just being a selfish idiot? Sometimes an ultimatum (behave or get out) is the way to go. I presume you've tried asking him when you are both pretty calm what's going on for him? Is there somebody else neutral who could have a "chat" with him (like a family friend, etc)?

There isn't much you can do to control somebody that age, but you do have rights to be happy in your own home, and to evict him if he can't play ball. Children ought to respect their parents, and whilst it's awfully sad, the parents have a right to demand civility, just as the children do when they are of legal age. We all have a right to respect where we show we can earn it, in my opinion, and if somebody can't do that mutually with us, then we have a right to ask them to leave. Maybe putting something like that in front of him might help?

Good luck, lad! heart
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Asking him to leave would be the last possible option. The last. a physical altercation would be difficult at best..... and again not what I want...
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Asking him to leave would be the last possible option. The last. a physical altercation would be difficult at best..... and again not what I want...

Have you tried a chat on neutral ground?
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
in that situation, im not sure what to say. I'm not a parent so perhaps I shouldn't bother voicing my opinion, i was just going off of what happened between my folks and my self. i wound up moving out on my own choice, when presented with the option. i've stuck it out ever since, but god has it sucked.

Id just agree with Shylass, try a talk at a nuetral location. find out as best you can what you can do to make it more satisfactory for either party.
Lurker
0 likes
I have an 18 year old son. I agree with the prior posts it is your home and he must respect the house rules that are clearly laid out. That said privacy is a privilege in our home. You act up and disobey the house rules you lose your door. Believe me I have taken my son down to issued clothing, shoes, no door and even took his light in the room from him to get his attention.
I would however also like to encourage you, try talking as adults. This time in their lives is confusing. At 18 they feel entitled to make adult decisions however there must be an understanding with that comes adult consequences. Regardless I try to always tell my sons that I may not like their choices but I will always love them. I will pray that this works out for you soon.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You need sit him down and make him tell you the truth and scare him a little. Don't be his friend be his parent. Don't let him walk away or shrug it off, get to the bottom of it now. Tough love is needed not a friend.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i started paying rent at 18. perhaps a little autonomy would make in appreciate all you do ...
littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have three 18yo+ daughters so its a little different. I make it clear that they may be considered adults now and I really cant nor do i wish to control their lives. But they live in my house and they must obey my rules. I have been pretty liberal with them to a point since I know there are things they are gonna do anyhow and to be honest, they havent given me any reason to discpline them severely. But they also know I am their mom and must be respected. I think the best way is to talk to them as adults and explain my point of view, not just tell them this is the way and that's that!!

I did come home one evening and found one of them having sex in our pool. I told her I understand she is sexually active but it is my house and she has to respect the people who live here or she can find her own place to live. She appologized and it hasnt happened since (at least to my knowledge).
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I am not a parent, but I see my sister with her kids and also think about when I was that age. she has 2 girls and a boy, all over 19 and all still living at home, though the youngest in in college, so gone for most of the school year. While all the kids are pretty good, and always have been about curfews and house rules, they have all had there little rebellions, but the boy is the worst one. He has a tendency to butt heads with my sister and she has tried talking, yelling, reasoning and every thing else. The one thing she has not been able to do is to get her husband to talk to him. being a boy, she thinks it would be more effective if the ultimatums or discussions came from him, rather than from her.

Is that an option for you?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Change the password on the computer!
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
A child over the age of 18, if they're over 18 are ADULTS, even if they're your child. If they live at home and can't follow the rules, kick their asses out. It all depends on what you mean, being a pain in the ass. There is many ways you can go about it depending on the level of how they're behaving. Than again, they're of age. Time to move out.....
Clever Gem
0 likes
Ohhh kids!! I thought you meant my husband!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
no calls in and no calls out...His comp becomes mine..I bought them both...He is 16 and soon to be 17 in May and absoutely hates not being able to communicate
doing my best to be good..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Alot depends on what his situation at home really is. Does he have a job? Does he pay for most of his "stuff" or do you? If you pay for most of his stuff, you have the power in the situation. No gas money, no car access, no cell phone, etc., can be a real wake up call for someone that age.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Stop buying food !! Works wonders smile hide toilet paper, laundry detergent, body soap, toothpaste. Give zero $$.., then pray lol
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I'd suggest you disconnecting from him, not just financially, but emotionally. With some kids (especially sons) the more we care as parents, the less they care about their own behavior/future. If you stopped pushing him, grilling him, pestering him, bailing him out, supporting him and started ignoring him ... he might realize quickly that his best form of support is now unaffected by his shit behavior. He'd be on his own and be forced to think about the decisions he makes and the consequences that follow. Make him care about his future by cutting the "apron strings" and ignoring his bad behavior. Removing support in all forms --including $-- might just be the wake up call he needs.
Lurker
0 likes
When I was that age, long ago, my parents charged me for various things that I did. When that did not work I was asked to leave.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes

Punish an adult?? come on ....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My oldest is only 15, but when I turned 18 my options were to go to college or pay rent. I was 18 and looking to party and enjoy my freedom. I moved out soon afterwards and learned to grow up really quick. I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of seeing me struggle or move back home, so I busted my ass and bought my home by the time I turned 22. It taught me alot about life.