Holiday ideas

last reply
24 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
1 like
Matriarch
0 likes
I haven't had a proper holiday in several years, not out of Australia at least.

A friend of mine recently said she had a blast in Vietnam, which is an intriguing country. I've never been to any South American country either, which is also on my bucket list.

Where do you recommend and why? I don't care what the weather is, hot or cold.

Places I've been to / lived in already:

Australia
Japan
Fiji
New Caledonia
Thailand
America
Indonesia
England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Greece
France
Italy
Spain
Germany
Holland
Austria
Switzerland
Belgium (the most boring country in the world?)
Lurker
0 likes
Just thinking you may wanna check the big holiday's of those points of interest, and see what holiday they celebrate in grand fashion. Might be off season too!

Me, Spain, simply for this: Guggenheim.

There is also Brazil, 2014. World Cup atmosphere might be invigorating.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it would be hard for me to recommend one place, but Malaysia is an amazing country. I spent 4 months in peninsular Malaysia, and it´s not too far Australia.

I really liked Bolivia and Guatemala as well. Mostly for the same reasons. I like the mountains, and the indiginous culture they have in both places.

I think my ultimate favourite place I have been, was the Galapagos. No words to describe how awesome it was.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I'm thinking you should definitely try somewhere in South America...it's on my bucket list too. Maybe Rio to start?

PS. I also didn't see Canada on your list!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
ha! don't pay attention to ANY of them! VIETNAM! i'm telling you, you won't be sorry, specially if you invite me along - i'll be your sherpa, even tho i've never actually been there... umm... ok, it's REALLY gonna be an adventure *giggles*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I'm thinking you should definitely try somewhere in South America...it's on my bucket list too. Maybe Rio to start?

PS. I also didn't see Canada on your list!

Canada isn't a country, it's actually part of the US *giggles and ducks thrown items* oh, and yeah, i did suggest Brazil, too - anywhere in S America wound be fun smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Matriarch
0 likes
Some good ideas here.

Vietnam and South America are definitely on the long term list.

I have a Brazilian friend living over here in Sydney, I think her and her husband are engineering a move back to Brazil. Sao Paulo wouldn't be a bad jumping off point.

Who's in?

Canada - I've seen Northern Exposure (used to love that show), brrrrr....
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Canada - I've seen Northern Exposure (used to love that show), brrrrr....

Wait! That was a show about Alaska, but production shots in Washington! Nothing Canadian about it!

If you watch the movie Chloe, the whole thing is set right in my neighbourhood (in the winter though)... but still... shopping, luxe martini bars and hotels, and clandestine sexual encounters... what more could you want in a vacation?
Matriarch
0 likes
Alaska / Canada - same aren't they? lol. I think I need a siesta, my brain is fried after the week that was.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bermuda is beautiful, and relaxing, and they have beaches with pink sand, and the houses/buildings are really bright and pretty
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Alaska / Canada - same aren't they? lol. I think I need a siesta, my brain is fried after the week that was.

Yeah, geographically speaking, I think Canada should have gotten Alaska... but then we'd get Sarah Palin too (soooo not worth it!).
Matriarch
0 likes
Didn't the US buy Alaska off the Russians for something like $7M?

How did they even manage that in the first place, it's attached to Canada for starters!

Joking aside, I'd like to visit Canada one day, it's a good chance to brush up my french.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Go to Thailand, during the water festival... Then enjoy the food... The culture.. Blah blah blah... then go into the cities and the beaches. Great place.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
DD said:
Yeah, geographically speaking, I think Canada should have gotten Alaska... but then we'd get Sarah Palin too (soooo not worth it!).

How about if we throw in Idaho, too...please, PLEASEEE!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Try the Greek Island of Thassos its great you have beauty and peace and loads of wonderful women . Unlike Zante which is loud but with loads of women so take your pick
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Some good ideas here.

Vietnam and South America are definitely on the long term list.

I have a Brazilian friend living over here in Sydney, I think her and her husband are engineering a move back to Brazil. Sao Paulo wouldn't be a bad jumping off point.

Who's in?

Tiahuanaco

Tahuayo Lodge - Peru Bring your fishing gear, we'll float down the Amazon for a few weeks too.

Afterwards, I'll follow you through Brazil & Argentinian civilization to feed your cultural and societal tastebuds.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by tomlando
DD said:

How about if we throw in Idaho, too...please, PLEASEEE!!

Give us Hawaii and you've got a deal!
Lurker
0 likes
Go to Cape Town..the weather is great, the food and wine are to die for and if you stay at a reputable hotel they normally provide you with your own taxi driver. It's also very beautiful in terms of nature and animals.

Places in Cape Town and sourounds... I'd recommend:

Table Mountain..you take a cable car up to the top and the view is spectacular
Knysna a few hours down the coast but worth going to
Plettenberg bay ditto
Stellenbosch - in the wine farmlands
Robertson- 2 hours out of cape town but great wine tours and the beauty of it is amazing
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
any one been to New Zealand, I hear the South Island is very beautiful ,although slightly shakey at the moment!!
Advanced Wordsmith
1 like
Quote by slickman
any one been to New Zealand, I hear the South Island is very beautiful ,although slightly shakey at the moment!!

Wow. Five of the best weeks of my life were spent in New Zealand (two weeks the first time and then three more the next time).

The North Island is filled with cultural stuff and is interesting from a somewhat urban point of view (though, none of NZ is all that populated). The South Island is simply stunning for the majestic scenery and landscapes.

Stay in the "backpackers" whenever possible if you're traveling in NZ. They're similar to American bed & breakfast locations that because they're often private residences converted to provide shelter for travelers (although you have to cook and bring your own food). They're a less expensive alternative to hotels and, in my experience, they were always clean and welcoming.

As for the people in NZ: every individual we met or interacted with was polite and helpful. It seems clear to me that tourism is a major industry there and most locals are more than tolerant of travelers.

I'd give New Zealand an 11 out of a 1 to 10 scale.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I recommend a country that not many people think about..but is awesome....and that is Namibia!!!

You can safari, has some of the the highest sand dunes to slide down, dune buggies...etc...
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt spent (and do still) a lot of time there.

Need any information on it, pm me and I'll give you details smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not long ago, we were treated to a trip to Romania, and it was wonderful. Great food, great scenery and some of the loveliest 14th and 15th century buildings in the world. There are whole parts of some cities that are more or less unchanged since then, and it's really breathtaking. Plus, a visit to Castle Dracula? Enough of those teenage girl vampire stories, you get the real inspiration for the whole legend right there! We also went into Moldova and spent time in Bulgaria and most importantly, it's quite affordable!
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Mount Roraima is the highest of the Pakaraima mountain chain in South America. The 31 square kilometer summit area is defined by 400 meter tall cliffs on all sides and includes the borders of Brazil, Venezuela, and Guyana. The tabletop mountains of the Pakaraima’s are considered some of the oldest geological formations on Earth, dating back to some two billion years ago.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
Mount Roraima is the highest of the Pakaraima mountain chain in South America. The 31 square kilometer summit area is defined by 400 meter tall cliffs on all sides and includes the borders of Brazil, Venezuela, and Guyana. The tabletop mountains of the Pakaraima’s are considered some of the oldest geological formations on Earth, dating back to some two billion years ago.

actually Roraima its not on the boarder its in Venezuela, its the most amazing magical place you can ever go to, you can climb it in a 4 - 6 day trip when you get to the top you cant even believe what your eyes are seeing, watching the sunset from the top its one of the best things i have ever done in my life.

This was the view i got every morning when i open my tent!

Internet Sensation
0 likes
I'd want to go to Peru and look at the ruins of Caral-Supe. Maybe a walk to Machu Pichu too.
I'll spend my holidays with friends in the village I grew up.
5-10 July I'll spend at an Accordion festival, I might even get Elitfromnorth to join me. (Any other lushians interested just tag along silly)