Great Diners

last reply
8 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
I love eating at diners and am always willing to try out a new one when i am on the road traveling. I'm not sure if diners are mostly an American thing. I know they have some in Canada. They usually stay open 24 hours, 7 days a week, have a short order cook, a bar with stools, booths, a few tables, and serve up burgers and fries, chop steaks, t-bones, hot dogs, some do country vegetables, omelettes at breakfast, etc. Some even have old fashioned juke boxes.

So post or tell about great locally owned and operated diners from your area.
Below:
The Grill, Athens, Georgia (you might be lucky and have a table of gorgeous miniskirted college girls sitting in the booth next to you or with if you're really lucky.)
The Collegiate Grill, Gainesville, Georgia (awesome home cut french fries)
The Marietta Diner, Marietta, Georgia
The OK Cafe, Atlanta, Georgia
The Dawsonville Pool Room, Dawsonville, Georgia (The ambience here is country-NASCAR with pool tables, and you may actually see some famous NASCAR drivers there.)

Head Nurse
0 likes
If you're in Greenville Ohio, stop in Maid Rite. They make a loose meat sandwich that is fantastic. It's tangy/sweet served with onion pickle mustard on a steamed roll. Oh and their milkshakes are thick and creamy. Anytime I head home to Ohio, I make sure I swing by Greenville to stick my gum on their wall and buy a sack.

There is now a chain aparently that is also called maid rite. Not the same at all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Whilst touring the West Coast area of the US with some friends from the Czech Republic they wanted to eat a lot and as cheaply as possible. As I was the native speaker I was delegated the task of finding appropriate places: one place that existed in several locations that they really liked was called The Golden Corral because you paid once and could eat as much as you wanted. I often reminisce about this and wonder what the locals thought of them as, although all of them were 7 foot tall they were quite slim but the amount of food they could put away was truly awesome. Does anyone know if this chain is still around?
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42
Whilst touring the West Coast area of the US with some friends from the Czech Republic they wanted to eat a lot and as cheaply as possible. As I was the native speaker I was delegated the task of finding appropriate places: one place that existed in several locations that they really liked was called The Golden Corral because you paid once and could eat as much as you wanted. I often reminisce about this and wonder what the locals thought of them as, although all of them were 7 foot tall they were quite slim but the amount of food they could put away was truly awesome. Does anyone know if this chain is still around?

The Golden Corral is still around, in fact two more chains just popped up in large cities bear me.

Hal's - Redbluff, California ... Amazing little place. More a postage stamp place than anything. It's a walk-up, and you sit in benches outside. But their burgers are seasoned GREAT and juicy and awesome. I highly recommend the Bellybuster Combo. Freakin' messy and enormous.

Shaker's - Arvada, Colorado ... I think? I remember the diner right. It's a neat little chrome building with pink and blue neon lights, and a red sign in the downtown area. Themed, the male uniform consists of light slacks, bold shirts and pompadours; women's are saddle shoes, poodle skirts (that's their nametag, it's on the skirt, not the shirt) and high ponytails. GREAT atmosphere. And they used to do a Flashback day, I think it was Wednesday, where they charged the same thing for burgers, shakes and fries that they did back in the fifties.

There's one little place in Manawa, Iowa ... it's gone through so many names. The Ice Cream Shoppe and Twister's ... but, it's this little drive-thru type place just as you're turning on to Manawa Drive, to head to (you guessed it) Lake Manawa. It's a little diner and a little dive, but no matter the name, they always had great food. And kitty-corner to that, sits a big old drive-in theater.

I'll have to rack my brain for more and add later!
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42

Well actually, Golden Corrall doesn't fit into the diner genre, but like Little Kitty said, it is a big restaurant chain that spreads across the USA. Golden Corrall started out as a moderately priced steakhouse and then evolved into a buffet smorgasbord style all-you-can-eat restaurant. I particularly like their chocolate pies.

Jack, a very successful diner chain in the USA is Waffle House. It started in Atlanta where I live, in the mid-1950s, and is coast-to-coast. There are so many Waffle Houses that at some interstate highway exits, there is a Waffle House on both sides of the expressway. They are open 24 hours, 7 days a week, and all holidays. You can get breakfast 24 hours a day there. I particularly like to get the All-Star Breakfast Special, 3 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of bacon, hot buttered grits, 2 pieces of toast, a waffle with Maple syrup, and coffee (black.)

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I love watching Guy what's-his-name on his show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives - he's even found himself in a few places in Canada!! (imagine that!!)

As Buz knows, I've always wanted to drive (haha, funny for a greenfoot who doesn't own a car) across the USA ... for a month ... having a different type of burger EVERY DAY at a Diner, Drive-in or Dive, taking pics and blogging about the All-American Burgers I find and consume!!

#yummmmmm!!

God, that would be heaven!!
Lurker
0 likes
Camelia Grill -- New Orleans

Moondnace -- NYC.

Yum.

Take a cab over to the Village Vanguard for some jazz and you're set. Open 24/7 so you can eat after as well.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Highwayman
Camelia Grill -- New Orleans

Moondnace -- NYC.

Yum.

Take a cab over to the Village Vanguard for some jazz and you're set. Open 24/7 so you can eat after as well.

Camellia Grill is an absolute if you go to New Orleans. Not as good as before Katrina but nothing else is . Still a Great place. It has a real New Orleans atmosphere. If you are out on am Interstate in the south, Waffle House is tough to beat.
You know those guys on the corner with signs that say "Will Work For Food"? I sit on Canal street with a sign that says "Will Do Anything For Pussy".