Fantasy band

last reply
14 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you were to create a band comprising of your favorite artists/musicians, whom would you pick and why?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Front man: Klaus Meine (The Scorpions) - Quite possibly one of the greatest vocalist of his time; he was everything Robert Plant wished he could have been

Lead Guitar: Randy Rhodes (Quiet Riot and Ozzie Osbourne) - One of the greatest ax grinders who ever walked onto a stage, and a good match for Klaus' style

Rhythm Guitar: Ace Frehley (Kiss)
Keyboards: Greg Hawkes (The Cars)
- Weaving a delicate tapestry of sound behind Randy's fiery riffs

Bass Guitar: Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Drums: Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)
- A rock solid base to build on

-- OR --

If I were going for more of a dark, moody sound:

Front man: Ronnie James Dio (Black Sabbath, Rainbow, and Dio) - Incredible range and power, but completely different from Klaus

Lead Guitar: Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) - Another of the greatest ax grinders of all time
0 likes
Actually, the Travelling Wilburys kind of did that for me:

Roy Orbison - one my all time favorite singers
Tom Petty - love him in both the Heartbreakers and solo; a terrific songwriter to boot
Jeff Lynne - okay, I am not a huge ELO fan, but he's a great producer
George Harrison - my favorite Beatle and another great songwriter (While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something, Here Comes the Sun)
Bob Dylan - not much to say here, he's one of the greatest songwriters of his generation (though I'd rank Cohen ahead of him, but that's more personal preference than quality)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Bob Dylan - not much to say here, he's one of the greatest songwriters of his generation (though I'd rank Cohen ahead of him, but that's more personal preference than quality)

My thing with Bob Dylan was his tendency to sing through his nose.
I know, Bonn Scott did it too, but he didn't sound like Gomer Pyle ....
Even Jim Nabors didn't sing like Gomer Pyle
0 likes
Quote by budwilliams

My thing with Bob Dylan was his tendency to sing through his nose.
I know, Bonn Scott did it too, but he didn't sound like Gomer Pyle ....

The thing I find with both Dylan and Leonard Cohen is that both have voices that are technically awful but somehow those voices seem so right for their songs, even though other, much better singers have also done wonderful versions of them. Cohen's voice has improved over time. He used be rather whiny and nasal (listen to an early album like Songs of Leonard Cohen or Songs from a Room to see) but it has grown deep and husky over time (due to too many cigs and whiskey, most likely). Dylan, by contrast, has just grown more incomprehensible though his songwriting remains as strong as ever.

Bon Scott and Brian Johnson both fit this category pretty well, too. Voices sound awful but somehow are just the right voices for the slightly bluesy hard rock/metal that the band puts out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It would seriously depend on the type of music. These are some of my favorite musicians, Im sure Im leaving many out.

Vocals:

Freddie Mercury- Queen
Geoff Tate - Queensryche
Greg Lake - ELP, King Crimson

Guitar:

Richie Blackmore-Deep Purple, Rainbow
Randy Rhoads- Ozzy, Quiet Riot
Jimmy Page -Led Zeppelin
Michael Schenker- Scorpions, MSG, UFO
Mike Campbell- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Bass:

Billy Sheehan -Mr. Big, David Lee Roth
Steve Harris- Iron Maiden
Les Claypool - Primus, Geddy Lee -Rush

Keyboards:

Keith Emerson - ELP
Rick Wakeman- Yes

Drums:

Neal Peart-Rush
Carl Palmer-ELP
Mike Portnoy-Dream Theater

I think Freddie Mercury is the greatest singer ever, but if it was going to be a heavy metal band Id rather have Geoff Tate singing. Or if it was a Punk Rock band I may go with someone like David Vanian of the Damned
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lead Vocals: Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) - She blew everybody off the stage in the 60's
Lead Guitar: David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - He plays with amazing feel and emotion.
Rhythm Guitar and Back-up Vocals: Nancy Wilson (Heart) - One of the few vocalists who could hold a candle to Grace Slick
Bass Guitar: Berry Oakley (The Allman Brothers Band)
Keyboards: John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) - I don't think he gets enough credit for his influence on the Led Zeppelin sound.
Drummer: Neal Smith (Alice Cooper)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by budwilliams

Jim Nabors was a very good singer when he wanted to be
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Bon Scott and Brian Johnson both fit this category pretty well, too. Voices sound awful but somehow are just the right voices for the slightly bluesy hard rock/metal that the band puts out.

By the time Brian Johnson came on the scene, Scott's nasal twang had become so much a part of the band's sound that it wouldn't have been AC/DC without it
OTOH, if you've ever been to an AC/DC concert, you might notice whose name the crowd is chanting .....
"Annnn Guss!!! Annnn Guss!!! Annnn Guss!!!"
0 likes
Quote by redhot363236

By the time Brian Johnson came on the scene, Scott's nasal twang had become so much a part of the band's sound that it wouldn't have been AC/DC without it
OTOH, if you've ever been to an AC/DC concert, you might notice whose name the crowd is chanting .....
"Annnn Guss!!! Annnn Guss!!! Annnn Guss!!!"

Oh, for sure. As important as the vocalists have been over the years, AC/DC is very much the Young brothers' band. Oddly, I'm not generally that into hard rock and metal, but I love AC/DC. There's a wildness and rawness to them (esp. their earlier stuff) that really makes them sound (to me) like good ole rock n'roll amped to 11.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by redhot363236
Lead Vocals: Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) - She blew everybody off the stage in the 60's
Lead Guitar: David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - He plays with amazing feel and emotion.
Rhythm Guitar and Back-up Vocals: Nancy Wilson (Heart) - One of the few vocalists who could hold a candle to Grace Slick
Bass Guitar: Berry Oakley (The Allman Brothers Band)
Keyboards: John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) - I don't think he gets enough credit for his influence on the Led Zeppelin sound.
Drummer: Neal Smith (Alice Cooper)

Some great choices, especially David Gilmour. So underrated as a guitarist. He has a great voice too!

I love Grace Slick but once she was involved with "We Built This City", she lost all credibility with me. Quite possible the worst song ever recorded, LOL!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Some great choices, especially David Gilmour. So underrated as a guitarist. He has a great voice too!

I love Grace Slick but once she was involved with "We Built This City", she lost all credibility with me. Quite possible the worst song ever recorded, LOL!!

Those are great choices. So as not to repeat any of those here are mine.

Vocals - Don Henley - I just like his voice.
Lead Guitar - Dickie Betts from the Allman Brothers
Rhythm Guitar & Vocals - Bonnie Raitt
Bass - Leland Sklar
Keyboards - Bruce Hornsby
Drums - John Bonham from Led Zeppelin
and I am adding a brass section - Tom Scott and the LA Express
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
As important as the vocalists have been over the years, AC/DC is very much the Young brothers' band.

Which is exactly what it would have been without someone who sounded a lot like Bonn Scott.
You could have put ... say ... Billy Idol up front and it would have been a great band, but it wouldn't have been AC/DC: it would have been the Young brothers' new band.
Black Sabbath got away with it because Dio's bottom end umph made him a better fit for the darker sound the band was evolving into than Ozzie was, but I doubt it would have worked for AC/DC

I love AC/DC. There's a wildness and rawness to them (esp. their earlier stuff)

That's what made them stand out among the bands of the time

good ole rock n'roll amped to 11.

No, that's Spinal Tap
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by redhot363236

I've hear she blew everybody back stage, too ... There was a story that she had a bet going with Janis Joplin to see who could take on the most guys during Woodstock

It's amazing the amount of emotion he can express in just a few notes. I can see him playing a slow bluesy rock with Gary Anderson of Rose Tattoo
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

Seems to me it was voted "The Worst Awesome Song of the 80's"
In the 60's, Jefferson Airplane was raw and exciting (kind of the AC/DC of their day), the very essence of the Hippie Culture ....
By the 80's, they had become just another homogenized pop band
Like a lot of the Hippies, they had become "The Establishment"

OTOH, there were several classic bands trying to update their sounds for the 80's, but Deep Purple was probably the only one to do it well