Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Can anyone tell me what's the average word count on stories?

last reply
13 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
Seriously, I'm going to start writing again and I'd like to know what's a good average word count to have. I know some people like nivek_88 has about 10,000 per part (assuming, not really sure) but his stories never get worn out. I've read a few stories on here that's really disappointed me in terms of length (that's what she said?), and I dont want to finish too soon, or too abruptly. So, an idea of how long a good story is is probably a good place to start.
I'm halfway gone.
Lurker
The limit is 3000 characters which is roughly 500-600 words, depending on how long your words are. I tend to write my stories about 2000-4000 words so that I can have a solid beginning and not rush the ending.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by one_winged_angel
The limit is 3000 characters which is roughly 500-600 words, depending on how long your words are. I tend to write my stories about 2000-4000 words so that I can have a solid beginning and not rush the ending.

Whoa, you tricked me with your profile picture for a second. I thought Sprite replied to this :P smile
When you say limit, I'm just going to assume that that's the minimum required for a story.
Right now I'm in the process or writing one, it's about 3,000 words and I havent even introduced sex!
I hope when I post it they dont reject it... like my other story.
I'm halfway gone.
Lurker
Quote by lifeafterdeath

Whoa, you tricked me with your profile picture for a second. I thought Sprite replied to this :P smile
When you say limit, I'm just going to assume that that's the minimum required for a story.
Right now I'm in the process or writing one, it's about 3,000 words and I havent even introduced sex!
I hope when I post it they dont reject it... like my other story.

Hahaha

Yep, that's the limit.

As long as you don't go over 10,000 words, edit it properly and keep within the guidelines, should be ok.

I took a peek at why the last one was rejected, as long as you don't do what you did last time, you should be fine.
Her Royal Spriteness
if a story goes past the 10,000 word limit, i suggest you simply break it into two parts - that's common practice here for many of our writers. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger

Hahaha

Yep, that's the limit.

As long as you don't go over 10,000 words, edit it properly and keep within the guidelines, should be ok.

I took a peek at why the last one was rejected, as long as you don't do what you did last time, you should be fine.

Quote by sprite

if a story goes past the 10,000 word limit, i suggest you simply break it into two parts - that's common practice here for many of our writers. smile

Oooh I kinda forgot what I did wrong last time, plus it would have taken a while to edit and stuff.... I'll get to it, one day.
I think I'll make parts to this, actually. There'a lot of potential for the future in the scenes I'm writing, and I'm putting in a ton of build up (to build characters, somewhat.)
I'm halfway gone.
Her Royal Spriteness
always remember, 10,000 words gets you published. 10,001 gets you a visit by some very unsavory Ukrainians armed with pliers and rubber hoses. ;)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
Quote by lifeafterdeath

Oooh I kinda forgot what I did wrong last time, plus it would have taken a while to edit and stuff.... I'll get to it, one day.
I think I'll make parts to this, actually. There'a lot of potential for the future in the scenes I'm writing, and I'm putting in a ton of build up (to build characters, somewhat.)

If you really want to see what you did wrong, all you have to do is go to the top of the page, click Account and you should see "My stories" on the drop down menu, you can see your rejected story there and why it was removed. Also, there should be a message from a verifier in your inbox.
Lurker
Quote by sprite
always remember, 10,000 words gets you published. 10,001 gets you a visit by some very unsavory Ukrainians armed with pliers and rubber hoses. ;)

The Gulash is on the table!
Active Ink Slinger

If you really want to see what you did wrong, all you have to do is go to the top of the page, click Account and you should see "My stories" on the drop down menu, you can see your rejected story there and why it was removed. Also, there should be a message from a verifier in your inbox.

I'll be sure to check that out. Thank you for the info smile
I'm halfway gone.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by sprite

I'm not sure I understand this.

As for my rejected story, uh........ I know that this is dumb, but, what's 'tense shifts'?
I'm halfway gone.
Lurker
Quote by lifeafterdeath

I'm not sure I understand this.

As for my rejected story, uh........ I know that this is dumb, but, what's 'tense shifts'?

It's when you start in one tense switch to another and then back again. E.g I saw (past) her sitting there and walk (present) over to introduce myself. She grabbed (past) my hand and says (present), "I saw you watching me."
Active Ink Slinger

It's when you start in one tense switch to another and then back again. E.g I saw (past) her sitting there and walk (present) over to introduce myself. She grabbed (past) my hand and says (present), "I saw you watching me."

Damn, that's going to take a while to change. neutral
Thanks for clearing that up, though smile I appreciate it.
I'm halfway gone.
Lurker
You're very welcome smile