Australia has bid $50bn to buy New Zealand

last reply
52 replies
4.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
Quote by transgurl

Australia is actually doing better than most of Europe ans America. And strategically speaking holding New Zealand and maintaining close ties with PNG would make us a little island fortress. ;)

New Zealand and Australia will always have close ties... We rely on each other in times of need. Brothers in arms. We also love to hate each other on the sports field... pretty much like family really... we can give each other cheek, but try to hurt one of us, and the other steps in f=to help fight. With ANZACS I would hope that bond is never broken.
Classified
Quote by Ruthie
Aside from which, I suspect that the Aussies will have spent the fifty billion on beer by the time an agreement is reached. These things never work out.

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Lurker
Quote by TraceyAmes
Why would Australia want to buy New Zealand for $50 billion? They had another major earthquake again yesterday. Two more major earthquakes and both islands will disappear into the Pacific Ocean. Then Australia does their money cold. This is typical of our government led by Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey; they haven't got a brain between them, and they spend money like there is no tomorrow.

As it is, over half of New Zealanders have resettled in Australia already

I know Australians and New Zealanders aren't that fond of each other, but the response seemed awfully vehement.

Fifty billion is a drop in the bucket anyway.
Blackbird Supernova
Active Ink Slinger
On a job site that I work on we have 2 Aussies, 1 Irishman, 1 Chinese and at least 12 or more Kiwis so we have enough Kiwis in Australia now so we might as well take the land as we have half the population here already. As Crystal says we have close ties till it comes to rugby, netball, cricket, pavlova and so on....
"Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love." Woody Allen

"I am willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong." Samuel Goldwyn
Active Ink Slinger
You can have John Keys he's FREE ... keep your money ... give it to your own indigenous people OR build more refugee camps in the back and beyond. Either way my backyard isn't up for sale sure as hell didn't go to war to keep the land to then become a fucking tenant! Yep I have no humour when it comes to selling the land, my country.
Lurker
Quote by cockupmyass7926
the last thing i and a few others heard about australia is that country is nearing the point of bankruptcy, so i wouldnt bother with news like this
(hope this comment doesnt offend anybody, if so i apologise)

Why would this offend? Australia's debt to it's GDP in 2012 was 20.70%, with a forecast of 18.70
New Zealand's debt to it's GDP was 39.50, with a forecast of 33.89
but wait for it....... United States debt to it's GDP was 101.60%, with a forecast of 103.75

Nope, no offense taken. I do recognise which country I'd feel more financially secure in.
The Linebacker
Quote by Wildcat

Why would this offend? Australia's debt to it's GDP in 2012 was 20.70%, with a forecast of 18.70
New Zealand's debt to it's GDP was 39.50, with a forecast of 33.89
but wait for it....... United States debt to it's GDP was 101.60%, with a forecast of 103.75

Nope, no offense taken. I do recognise which country I'd feel more financially secure in.

United States debt to it's GDP was 101.60%, with a forecast of 103.75

We're having to put Los Angeles up for sale. Who will start the bidding?
Active Ink Slinger
Hmn, AU buys NZ?

The money would still remain there. Nice thought!
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Buz

United States debt to it's GDP was 101.60%, with a forecast of 103.75

We're having to put Los Angeles up for sale. Who will start the bidding?

shhhh Buz let's start with another city for now.. recent earthquakes might bring the prize down.

Oops many city are already sold.. you're sure LA is still ours?

The Linebacker
Quote by keoloke

shhhh Buz let's start with another city for now.. recent earthquakes might bring the prize down.

Oops many city are already sold.. you're sure LA is still ours?

I think I'm going to move to Key West in hopes that they declare independence again.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Buz

I think I'm going to move to Key West in hopes that they declare independence again.

That sounds damn goooood. Especially after this horrible winter. NY here.

Key West is also probably one of the most colorful places on Earth… where everything goes. Is it time for “Fantasy Fest” festival? Aaaarghhghgh If Lush should have a branch office it should reside there haha.

The republic used to issue (or still does it) souvenir passports. Fun novelty.

Advanced Wordsmith
Quote by trinket

I see your point. We already have half the tenants of NZ here anyway... but we would still get Antarctica right?

Trinket, as an Aussie, you should know Australia has a massive slice of Antarctica already. The New Zealand slice of it is tiny.... the left overs lol.
Active Ink Slinger
I thought i read that back in 1901 when the Australian Constitution was drawn up. The Monarchy included New Zealand as Australian land and the Barton Government actually entitled it to govern it self but there was no mention of it becoming a separate country.

The other part of it is.
Thare are mor New Zealanders in Australia than there's left there
Lurker
Suppose the deal is materialized, payment of $ 50 Billion will be made to whom ?
Active Ink Slinger
If we paid $50 billion for NZ I think we paid $49,999,999,999.99 too much. I hope I have the right amount of nines in my figure.
"Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love." Woody Allen

"I am willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong." Samuel Goldwyn
Site administrator
Quote by HeraTeleia
Sorry to ruin the party, but this smells like a hoax. Nothing is coming up in Google, or in a specific Google News search.

I think the date on the OP may give you a clue.

Story Verifier
Quote by HeraTeleia
Sorry to ruin the party, but this smells like a hoax. Nothing is coming up in Google, or in a specific Google News search.

Actually, I saw it on Google last year. It was up for about two days then it mysteriously disappeared. Talking to friends in Canberra later led me to believe that they were threatened with an injunction and took it down. Whatever the truth in it, they don't have the money now and after watching recent performances in the Cricket World Cup along with their demise in Rugby, New Zealand wouldn't be worth buying anyway. And let's face it, Kiwi fruit can be grown anywhere these days.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Story Verifier
Quote by simplyjohn

I think the date on the OP may give you a clue.

What was so significant about 1st April 2014 apart from NATO suspending all practical civilian and military cooperation with Russia?
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Site administrator
Quote by angieseroticpen

What was so significant about 1st April 2014 apart from NATO suspending all practical civilian and military cooperation with Russia?

I remember that date very well ... I had an orgasm. TMI I know .. sorry ... . Wait I think I had steak and chips that day for dinner too .. *checks diary* yes I did!.
Site administrator
Quote by HeraTeleia

Thanks. Now I feel like an idiot.

Lol sorry .. I could not resist that ...
Active Ink Slinger
Overrated and over priced.