Anyone here play guitar?

last reply
25 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I played a little a long time ago when I was a teen, messed around a little in a band as a rhythm guitarist ... though I only knew bar chords and the guitars weren't mine.

I recently picked up the guitar after more than 20 years a few months ago with an acoustic my wife bought me a few years back (sat in the closet waiting for me to get it tuned). A guy I work with plays a little and he said he'd tune it for me. Once he did, he started writing Tabs out for me to learn and I've been driving my wife nuts with playing them over and over But I'm having a blast and thought I'd ask people here at Lush if anyone plays and what kind of music they prefer to listen to vs what you play.

Hell anything about guitars really, how do you play? What do you play? Favorite albums?
Lurker
0 likes
I play guitar, freefallin. Want some tips?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I play guitar, freefallin. Want some tips?

Any you can give. I've asked people I know who play and they tell me pretty much the same thing. If you don't take lessons, then go to youtube and practice, practice, practice.
Lurker
0 likes
Do you play acoustic or electric? And if you are looking to tune it, the best way is to buy an electronic tuner. They cost about 20 bucks and are a lot easier that tuning it yourself or finding someone else to tune it.

If you want to play rhythm, then learn the basics. E, D,G A C. you can play pretty much any rock song with those chords. The best way is to find a relatively easy song to play (most songs use a 4 chord scheme) and practice changing from chord to chord. Bar chords are good, but you'll find power chords easier to start with. Most fast rock songs use power chords. If you're looking for more of campfire sound then stick with the normal chords.

I've never used youtube, I just downloaded tabs off the net and practiced. Just get the chords down and the rhythym will come eventually.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I play the g-tar and agree with what your friends say free fallin you learn it all just by looking things up on youtube or any site really. just stick with it and you'll be rockin no time
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Get about eleven cold beers in me and I play one mean air guitar. Get outta my way, Jimmy Page.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Do you play acoustic or electric? And if you are looking to tune it, the best way is to buy an electronic tuner. They cost about 20 bucks and are a lot easier that tuning it yourself or finding someone else to tune it.

If you want to play rhythm, then learn the basics. E, D,G A C. you can play pretty much any rock song with those chords. The best way is to find a relatively easy song to play (most songs use a 4 chord scheme) and practice changing from chord to chord. Bar chords are good, but you'll find power chords easier to start with. Most fast rock songs use power chords. If you're looking for more of campfire sound then stick with the normal chords.

I've never used youtube, I just downloaded tabs off the net and practiced. Just get the chords down and the rhythym will come eventually.

This is good advice. Get some 80's hair band albums (like def leppard, Poison, AC/DC...they used mostly power chord progressions) and go to town.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks for the info everyone, good advice too!

Right now I play acoustic, for two reasons; 1>Can't afford an electric and 2>Because acoustic strings are much harder to press down on the frets and it is good exercise for my fingers to do it the"hard way" first. But I do want to graduate into electric. My favorite music to listen to is probably metal or rock, though I like so many. But my goal as a budding guitarist would be to excel beyond metal and play some mean blues. I love Stevie Ray Vaughn and B.B. King, just about any good blues guitarist and I'll listen and likely love it.

I'm sticking with rhythm for now, especially since I'm new. So far I can play the intros to Metallica's "One", "Enter Sandman" and "Fade to Black". Both guitar parts in Smashing Pumpkins "Today" (not any lead solos though), Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and the beginning of Dueling Banjo's

I'm working on perfecting "One" since the guy I work with (that tuned my guitar) and I want to play it with him playing lead and me at rhythm. Not that we're going to get a band together or anything, it just sounds like fun.

A good source of Tabs online I found is this, not only are there a lot, but they're rated by users and you can compare to see which ones are correct ... I hate finding a tab that is incorrect because I end up learning the wrong music and have to relearn it the right way. But it also has interviews and articles with the well known artists from Jeff Beck to Slash.

What kind of guitar do you all play? Acoustic? Electric? Do you play Rock? Classical? Metal? Blues?
Lurker
0 likes
There's also something of the sound from an acoustic that an electric guitar just can't compare to. I have thought about gettin a guitar for myself don't know how to play myself for when I go camping.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by bikebum1975
There's also something of the sound from an acoustic that an electric guitar just can't compare to. I have thought about gettin a guitar for myself don't know how to play myself for when I go camping.

You can get a cheap acoustic at Walmart for less than $50 or go online to eBay or something similar and get them cheaper. Go into a music store and most have free picks. Learn to read Tabs (I can even teach you that, it is very simple) and you'll be good to go for the campfire Cheap acoustics don't sound as rich or deep as an expensive one, but the cheap ones are great for practice.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by freefallin1309
Quote by bikebum1975

You can get a cheap acoustic at Walmart for less than $50 or go online to eBay or something similar and get them cheaper. Go into a music store and most have free picks. Learn to read Tabs (I can even teach you that, it is very simple) and you'll be good to go for the campfire Cheap acoustics don't sound as rich or deep as an expensive one, but the cheap ones are great for practice.

Ha I know ya can get'em there but these days 50 bucks to me is a small fortune lol one day I'll get one just don't have the funds at the moment
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by bikebum1975
Quote by freefallin1309
Quote by bikebum1975

Ha I know ya can get'em there but these days 50 bucks to me is a small fortune lol one day I'll get one just don't have the funds at the moment

When you get your 50 bucks up watch craigslist. There are tons of instruments on there. There are lots of people who go to the store and buy one that sits in a closet for years and it eventually finds its way onto CL.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by freefallin1309
I played a little a long time ago when I was a teen, messed around a little in a band as a rhythm guitarist ... though I only knew bar chords and the guitars weren't mine.

I recently picked up the guitar after more than 20 years a few months ago with an acoustic my wife bought me a few years back (sat in the closet waiting for me to get it tuned). A guy I work with plays a little and he said he'd tune it for me. Once he did, he started writing Tabs out for me to learn and I've been driving my wife nuts with playing them over and over But I'm having a blast and thought I'd ask people here at Lush if anyone plays and what kind of music they prefer to listen to vs what you play.

Hell anything about guitars really, how do you play? What do you play? Favorite albums?

Sounds like we are in a kind of similar boat. I got rid of the guitar I had and didn't play since high school a few years ago. My wife wanted to try guitar and I bought her an acoustic a few years back (a yahama decent price, great sound).

Around the beginning of the year I watched the movie "It Might Get Loud" (Awesome movie) and decided it was time to get a new electric guitar. I started playing my wife's forelorne acoustic to make sure I was interested, and then started watching for electrics and researching what I wanted in a guitar. I was partly inspired by wanting to do some electronic projects with the sound. Still haven't started that yet.

I've found that there is a world of great info on the web. It's so different than when I was a kid really trying to learn and haviing to try and pick everything by ear, from a cassette.

The ultimate tabs are great, have you downloaded power tab yet? Music that plays itself! Can you believe it?

The number of instructional videos are incredible and lessons available to watch online.

gibson.com has a really cool section of lessons. I really like Arlin Roth's videos. Lots of cool stuff there and it doesn't have to be hard!

Anyhow. glad to hear you are having fun with it, and SRV and the blues is where I would like to go with my plaing too!
Lurker
0 likes
Power Tab? Hadn't heard of it, have to check it out!
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Yeah, a lot of the songs on Ultimate guitar tabs are "power tab" songs. It's a free download, and it prints tabbed sheet music. Plus it will even play right on your computer (a wierd computer synth version), but hey!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Playmale
Yeah, a lot of the songs on Ultimate guitar tabs are "power tab" songs. It's a free download, and it prints tabbed sheet music. Plus it will even play right on your computer (a wierd computer synth version), but hey!

That's definitely what I'm getting then. Thanks!
Lurker
0 likes
I'm pretty sure that Jebru plays the guitar, sure he had an AV this year with his Guitar in the piccy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have always made my living playing the guitar--a variety of styles--and pretty much agree with all the advice offered, if that's possible.
One of the fascinating things about the instrument is that you can approach it in so many different ways, and use it as the backbone of so many different kinds of music.
Re. learning to play, some artists with platinum CD sales are self-taught!
For most of us, the question is, "How badly do you want to learn to play?" Cuz if you really want it, you'll find the ways that work best for you.
Best wishes and have fun!
Lurker
0 likes
I play acoustic and electric, although because I live in an apartment, I can't play the electric much. Electric are quite a bit easier to play minor mistakes don't get noticed because of the volume and distortion. Trust me..."One" sounds a million times better on an electric than on an acoustic.

When you are first learning to play, its fun to learn intros of songs you like. I started out with "Come as you are," Sweet dreams, and "One". Now I tend to play acoustic songs that I can sing along to. People (especially girls) tend to be more impressed when you can play a whole song and sing along, than if you perform an elaborate riff or solo.
Lurker
0 likes
Yeah, songs that were made for electric will always sound better on electric, even with the distortion turned down. Funny how you started with two of the three songs I did, "One" and "Come as you are", I looked at playing "Sweet Dreams", but veered off and began "Fade to Black" instead. I didn't want to spread out too far or I wouldn't remember each song that well, but "Sweet Dreams" is on the list to learn

I visited a Guitar Center the other day with the guy I work with that plays, and he plugged a Les Paul into a Fender amp and played 'One' with little or no distortion and it sounded awesome. I love that place, you can pick any guitar and plug into any amp and play away. Same thing with drums, keyboards, soundboards, etc. There was a guy there playing on a set of drums that was really rockin', he had headphones on and was playing to something, not sure what it was, but he was flawless.

Right now though, acoustic is my only means to play due to lack of funds and a desire to play a tougher guitar that will make electric seem so much easier when I do finally get one.
Lurker
0 likes
Just downloaded Power Tab Editor and then plugged in "One" from Metallica. I have to say that's awesome how it works ... and when the distortion was turned up, I laughed out loud. Very cool program though ... and I think the whole song is now out of my league The intro is easy, but the rest of the song is quite hard ... may have to start with an easier one like AC/DC
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Here's a nice little guitar lesson that will keep you off the streets and out of trouble for a while!
Lurker
0 likes
yeah, ONE is very hard to play actually. Sweet Dreams is kind of hard as well, but its the same series of notes repeated so its not as bad. It sounds amazing on electric as well. And you will definately find it easier to play an electric after learning on acoustic. It almost seems too easy.
Lurker
0 likes
Wow, very nice lesson Playmale! Thanks! Billy is one of my favorite guitarists, I don't think most of the stuff he does with ZZ Top does him justice. I love to just listen to that guy belt out those blues on a guitar.

Damon: I picked up Sweet Dreams, the intro is pretty easy and I'm getting into the chords now, though they don't sound the same on acoustic Today that guy I work with finally brought his guitar in and we jammed to One, Fade to Black, Today and then something we came up with on the spot ... when our rhythms were identical and we practiced a few times, it sounded awesome ... definitely worked on those callouses on the fingertips today!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I play guitar a little bit...got an acoustic from my parents for christmas 2 years ago. smile
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sazraz
I play guitar a little bit...got an acoustic from my parents for christmas 2 years ago. smile

What can you play? I've had my acoustic for about 2 years, but it sat in the closet for almost that whole time But once I found someone to tune it for me, I brought it out and haven't put it back down. I'm taking some basic Blues lessons right now online from a guy named Marty Schwartz, just some easy power chords (as several here have said are good to learn on). I signed up for free lessons from him and he sends a short video every other day that builds on the last. Each video is only about 4-8 minutes long, but very easy.