What are they?

last reply
6 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
When I was in the UK I detested my wife, or me being referred to as the PC police want it "partner".
I'd remind them we're husband and wife, please refer to us as that.
I personally find the term degrading, as it means to me a business arrangement not a lovingly one.

I referred to one woman's BF as boyfriend and she corrected me with, "He's my partner. I'm too old to have a boyfriend." She was 28.

How do you feel about using the term PARTNER as opposed to WIFE, HUSBAND, BOYFRIEND, GIRLFRIEND?
Artistic Tart
0 likes
I've never used it. My experience is that when it's used, especially when said "partner" is not around, it's a subtle way to indicate that it's a same-sex relationship. Not every time, but that's common, at least here in the US. But now that I think about it, I will occasionally refer to him as my partner when it's just he and I, as in "you're my partner in life", and everywhere we go in life, we'll go together. But I've never said "please meet my partner" when introducing him.

I suppose it comes down to ones' preference.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I normally hear the term "partner" when used for same-sex relationships. When same sex couples say it, it has a loving quality to it.

But, I have heard it for man/woman relationships too and it always sounded strange. Whenever I've heard a man or woman introduce his/her opposite sex "partner" is seems so clinical. Almost like some sort of arrangement. Like, "we're together because no one else will have us, we really don't want to term it as boyfriend/girlfriend and either of us can bolt if a better offer comes along". Especially if they're living together, partner sounds like one notch above roommates.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
0 likes
For married couples (like me), I prefer husband/wife or spouse if it needs to be gender-nonspecific. "Partner" has, IME, always meant unmarried (though not necessarily same sex) longterm relationship.

Mendalla
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by Scriptwriter66
When I was in the UK I detested my wife, or me being referred to as the PC police want it "partner".
I'd remind them we're husband and wife, please refer to us as that.
I personally find the term degrading, as it means to me a business arrangement not a lovingly one.

I referred to one woman's BF as boyfriend and she corrected me with, "He's my partner. I'm too old to have a boyfriend." She was 28.

How do you feel about using the term PARTNER as opposed to WIFE, HUSBAND, BOYFRIEND, GIRLFRIEND?

This!

Being almost 45, I would feel absolutely ridiculous introducing someone as my boyfriend. I would definitely use partner (or manmeat depending upon the company) over boyfriend.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
For married couples (like me), I prefer husband/wife or spouse if it needs to be gender-nonspecific. "Partner" has, IME, always meant unmarried (though not necessarily same sex) longterm relationship.

Mendalla

Must be a Canadian thing. That's also what I think of when the term "Partner" is mentioned. Someone who lives with you in a romantic relationship that isn't marriage.
0 likes
I use the term "Partner" and several others interchangeably. For a long time I steered completely away from the term "Boyfriend" (since about age 13 or 14) because I had an incident where I behaved so badly that I really kicked myself over it and swore "NEVER again!" I did NOT ever behave like that again. I thought that if I was not tied to someone as in "going with" (as we also called it) then I would not get so attached and I did not want to get attached to someone again like that and have the same problem.

I use "Mate" (and not as in friends or flat-mate), however it sounds more animalistic (and is), and I often do not feel that does justice either.

"Partner" has been used for business as well as "Life Partner" context, gay or otherwise, but I do feel it is deeper than some usual things, Mate and Boyfriend included. (It is a mutual "partnership" just like marriage and so I do not see this term to be in ANY way demeaning or negative-quite the opposite.)

I use my "Lover" and my "Love" as well.

I tend to dislike "Better Half" or "Significant Other" just because it seems trite~ (though, really, there is nothing wrong with them).

I am not the "old lady" or "ball and chain" - Lord I hope not ever referred...

but I am NOT a wife or a fiancee ~

So what am I?

I am not just a fuck, and he is someone very special to me... we both feel that way.

I am not 13 or 14 anymore to be called a Wifey/or WAIFU, nor is he a Hubby/Husbano!

I am in an exclusive relationship. I have a ring but not moved up to fiancee. He is my boyfriend but I am also his 'Little' in D/s relationship, and yet in polite society I would not introduce him as my "DOM" or even "Daddy" (though he is), I do not call him my DOM or my Master anyway.

He is the love of my life, my bestfriend, and many things that might seem overly gushy and lengthy, and yet "boyfriend" does not quite cut it either.

It is strange to seem trapped between terms. WE know what we are and to each other, but in an introduction, it seems like I grasp for the just right expression. "Honey", "Sweetie,"...etc.