Those Verification Codes required on many websites for 'security.'

last reply
16 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
Those letter & number combinations that many websites require for security when ordering or setting up a new account and so forth are just EVIL!!!!!

Those are absolute hell on dyslexics! They are anti-dyslexic. They discriminate. They are bigoted against a group of people!

Does anyone have a good attorney to recommend because I think am going to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of all dyslexics like me? Maybe I can work to get legislation passed to outlaw those evil codes. The UN ought to pass a resolution showing the world's disdain for them.

Those are pure EVIL!!!! EVIL!!!!! EVIL!!!!!
Matriarch
0 likes
I have 6/6 vision, am not dyslexic, and well over 50% of the time, they don't work for me either.

I understand captchas are to stop spammers, but there must be a better way to do so.
Lurker
0 likes
some are easy. Some.. well i dont speak aramaic, but yeah i imagine thats what aramaic would look like. they do have alot of audio files now where they read off verbal numbers and letters mixed with white noise. whoever came up with bots is evil.
Lurker
0 likes
I hate them damn things. I can never get them right.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I can only hope the guy who invented Captcha codes rots in his own special hell where he has to spend eternity trying to type them in. And they're written in Wingdings.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i like monkey"s idea.
Bunker Love
My Dream my latest stopry
Lurker
0 likes
I find if you squint and sit back from the monitor, it helps. Maybe use an enigma machine, too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I already have a terrible time with numbers, those captcha things made it worse for me in choosing a password.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

The Linebacker
0 likes
I was on a website the other day trying to place an order and it kept asking me to type that code at each new step. I finally just quit. They lost me as a customer.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I get them wrong 50% of the time as well.

But really... can they blame us?

Here's one I got recently. Completely ridiculous.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh they are worse than you can imagine...

First off the cost of having them solved is about $1 per thousand, there are folk who do nothing else all day in Afghanistan.

Most of them are actually harder for humans to solve than computers. Computers are really good at detecting red text on a slightly darker red background, people are not.

And most of the sites that use them do it in a stupid way. If you get one thing in the form wrong you have to prove that you are not a bot again.

Some idiots even put them on their checkout... stupid stupid fucks.
Lurker
0 likes
Some are difficult to read for us with normal vision.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I hate the damn things....and now My email (Yahoo) is starting to use them to send emails! ARRRGH! >sad
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Princess Blondie
0 likes
Quote by Monkey1282
I can only hope the guy who invented Captcha codes rots in his own special hell where he has to spend eternity trying to type them in. And they're written in Wingdings.

I vote for this to happen
Quote by MasterJonathan
I hate the damn things....and now My email (Yahoo) is starting to use them to send emails! ARRRGH! >sad

Mine does too
†Jinxy Approved†

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Like everything else, there's good and bad for those.

The good:

-With captchas, you, the user, can't make purchases, gamble, download something, etc. while drunk. This prevents the awkwardness if you drunkenly send a nude picture to a friend.

-When a captcha is required to send mail, it reduces the likelihood that the email provider will be used for spam. When it's used for spam, a person is definitely behind it, even if s/he just solves a captcha.

The bad:

-With the more secure captchas, if you get the captcha wrong, then you have to try again. If you take too long to type in a captcha (you answer a text when a captcha pops up; by the time you get back, it's timed out), then you have to start over. If you take too many tries, the system thinks you're a bot and locks you out.

-It's an additional step before doing something online.

-With the advances in technology, it's possible that bots will recognize captchas and be able to bypass them, thus making them moot.

I see the point to them. However, if my last point comes true, then they just need to get rid of them.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

C
Lurker
0 likes
I am more for skinning spammers/scammers than making it harder on the rest of us. But that is always how it is. Find a problem, then create a "solution" that does not really stop those who want to do wrong in the first place, but makes it a living hell on everyone else.... oh yeah!!!! THAT WORKS! ;)
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Actually, a great majority of them offer an audio captcha...you just click on the little audio symbol, and some letters and/or numbers are recited to you, and you can type them out. And you can also play it back as many times as you need to. I almost always use the audio version. It's a lot better than trying to decipher a bunch of squished up and jumbled letters and numbers.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░