There are pickpockets in your city?

last reply
10 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
In Barcelona there are thousands, it's odd the day that goes by whithout seeing some of them on the metro, the beaches, downtown, etc. Most of them are professional gangs who work in teams, more or less a twenty-first century version of Oliver Twist.

Here if the amount of the stolen items dont reach 400 euros (500 dollars), the pickpocket walks free, some of them have been caught dozens of times, but they manage not to get caught with more of 400 euros on them, so very rarely they end up in jail.

And they dont only target tourists, they target locals as well.

I wonder hows the situation in other countries? Is it common pickpocketing? Do they serve time in jail?

PS, Not that I am considering becoming a professional pickpocket, just curiosity.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
In California pick pockets aren't a problem. I've lived up and down this state my whole life and have never heard anything about pick pockets. You're more likely to get robbed at gunpoint or knifepoint.

I don't know the law but I'm sure a pick pocket would get jail time. More so if they are working as a team.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by javier
In Barcelona there are thousands, it's odd the day that goes by whithout seeing some of them on the metro, the beaches, downtown, etc. Most of them are professional gangs who work in teams, more or less a twenty-first century version of Oliver Twist.

Here if the amount of the stolen items dont reach 400 euros (500 dollars), the pickpocket walks free, some of them have been caught dozens of times, but they manage not to get caught with more of 400 euros on them, so very rarely they end up in jail.

And they dont only target tourists, they target locals as well.

I wonder hows the situation in other countries? Is it common pickpocketing? Do they serve time in jail?

PS, Not that I am considering becoming a professional pickpocket, just curiosity.

Where I live, the pickpockets are legion, and on the trams there are posters warning people about them.

I've seen them in practice, and have been aware of one who tried to pick my purse. He was smooth, but didn't realise how the purse opened, and made a wrong move, which is why I saw him.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I've been all over the US, but I've never seen a pick pocket.

Two guys have tried to mug me (in the 80s), why they'd want to mug a 6'3" - 190 pound, 26 or 28 year old is beyond me. That could be a recipe for an ass kicking.

Along similar lines, I was chatting with a friend of mine who lives in Copenhagen, a few months ago. He mentioned how he used to get fleeced a lot while traveling around Europe. Much more than he'd encountered here in the states (west coast) ever. That was part of his cultural shock when he went abroad for 'good' in 1989.

Here in the states, I've just never let my guard down when I'm out - anywhere. Don't look like a tourist or a visitor, etc...and always let people know my head is on a swivel and I seem aware of my surroundings. Especially when I'm in city I am not familiar with.

It's kind of like driving a car. I'm always looking for my escape route and sizing people up. Always.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
It's kind of like driving a car. I'm always looking for my escape route and sizing people up. Always.

Well put!

While some might say it sounds paranoid, think about a hunter or warrior. That is the trait that lets them survive.

I've heard interviews with criminals, they size people up looking for distracted, unaware, confused looking targets. Why go after someone whose radar appears to be working overtime?

As far as pickpockets, I'm pretty sure it's OK to shoot them here in Texas.
Matriarch
0 likes
I've been to Barcelona on business before Javier, and was actually warned by the travel agent that it's rife there.

There used to be a warning sign at Tottenham Court Road, and Oxford Circus tube stations in London, to supposedly help combat this problem, the trouble is it had the reverse effect.

Tourists would read the sign, "beware, pickpockets operate in this area," immediately check their wallet / purse in whichever pocket it was in, then the thieves would know exactly where their cash was and make their job a whole lot easier. Opps

The signs were taken down.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
That's kind of funny Nicola. It's lke the cheesy spy moview bit...

"Where's the safe?"

*Glance at safe* "I don't know what you're talking about."
Lurker
0 likes
someone tried to rob me at knife point once... I broke his arm, took his knife, constrained him so he couldn't get away and called the police
Lurker
0 likes
I caught something about 'Pickpockets' on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine. A pickpocket person on the radio called in, he said "where ever there is a sign Pickpockets opperate in this area" Apparently people walking past where patting there pockets that they had valuable in. PMSL LOL.
Lurker
0 likes
I think pickpocketing is mainly a European phenomenon. Maybe because there's no guns to rob somebody with?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I think pickpocketing is mainly a European phenomenon. Maybe because there's no guns to rob somebody with?

Now that's funny.
Seriously I live in a small town kind of area in Connecticut we sure do have pickpockets here in the states. Now me personally I never have had it happen to me but I know a few people that have and one good friend a couple of years ago was at a mall here had it happen to him luckily for him they found his wallet cash was gone but his DL and all credit cards were still there. So they are out there it's like WMM said don't look like a tourist when traveling and just watch your surroundings.