The Official Olympics Thread: Sochi 2014

last reply
135 replies
9.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
I enjoy watching the Winter Olympics, but they all look so cold. I do wish there were more head to head racing and competition events. Anything that requires the subjectivity of judges just seems so open to prejudice. I enjoy watching the ice hockey, but folks where I come from don't understand the rules much. Every time we get professional hockey team in Atlanta those damn Canadians steal them. I know its a conspiracy that Dudealicious is behind.
Gold hearted fun loving Aussie Angel
0 likes
love the Olympics, will be watching the figure skating, luge, moguls and the halfpipe
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
If I could momentarily hop into the body of an Olympian for a sport - it would probably be to get to experience something like this.

It looks so incredible and scary at the same time!

I remember watching this with my dad as a kid. It looked so cool. Then I went to Lake Placid and actually saw the hill they ski down and it as so scary. But these guys make it look so easy.

But if I could trade places for a moment it would be with a Skier in the Aerials. So Cool!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Canada is officially mogul nation!

Alex Bilodeau repeats his gold medal in the 2010 Olympics to continue his reign as olympic champ of men's moguls in Sochi.

And Mikael Kingsbury grabs the silver medal in men's moguls!

Oh and ps, a third Canadian was in 4th spot - nearly a complete maple leaf sweep. I took the afternoon off to see this event live. So happy!
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Canada is officially mogul nation!

Alex Bilodeau repeats his gold medal in the 2010 Olympics to continue his reign as olympic champ of men's moguls in Sochi.

And Mikael Kingsbury grabs the silver medal in men's moguls!

Oh and ps, a third Canadian was in 4th spot - nearly a complete maple leaf sweep. I took the afternoon off to see this event live. So happy!

LOVE IT!

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
0 likes
If you hear a loud, off-key voice singing "Oh Canada" ignore it. It's me. Today's medals put Canada in first place overall!!
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
If I could momentarily hop into the body of an Olympian for a sport - it would probably be to get to experience something like this.

It looks so incredible and scary at the same time!

Would give me a fucking heart attack. I can barely stand jumping down to the yard off my 18 inch high deck. My son is the skier in our family but he's not up to that kind of stuff yet (just started last Christmas).
Head Nurse
0 likes
I love watching the speed skating, but WTF is going on with the US uniforms? the patches make me think of diapers.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
More reasons to see the silver lining in those long winters of Canadian snow!

Dara Howell won the inaugural women's slopestyle ski competition and Kim Lamarre won bronze!

Ok, and as if snowboard slopestyle wasn't a crazy enough visual, these girls ski it backwards (and go into the jumps backwards). Woah!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by BlondeBookworm
Is anyone else getting concerned with Bob Costas eye?

Matt Lauer is replacing him now. He's got double pink-eye!

In other Olympic news - I caught a bit of the men's halfpipe. Swiss skiier, Iouri Podladtchikov's reaction after his final run was sooo adorable. I love the Olympics for moments like that - the pure emotion of giving it your all and coming through. He was so stoked!

It's a shame that Shaun White didn't perform the way he wanted to but it looks like he's staying in for another four years and seemed pretty positive about it, all things considered. The halfpipe is such a cool sport to watch - I can't wait to see the women have at it tomorrow.

I heard there's been criticism that the Sochi halfpipe is substandard - there were a lot of falls and glitches by top riders. Officials worked overnight to try to improve it, but who knows if that's factoring into the outcome for the athletes. This sport does have its dangers so it's a little unsettling to hear that. Hope things go smoothly tomorrow.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Matt Lauer is replacing him now. He's got double pink-eye!

They should have just fashioned him a couple of eye patches that match the opening ceremony outfits the US wore
Lurker
0 likes
The US men won a curling match against Denmark They switched to ski jumping halfway thru, so i didnt get to see the whole game . wtf
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Ajax
They switched to ski jumping halfway thru, so i didnt get to see the whole game . wtf

Probably because the US girls won gold and bronze in women's halfpipe. That event was very cool to watch.

Torah Bright (Australia) won silver. She's such a awesome girl. She was one of the athletes who wanted to wear a Sarah Burke sticker on her helmet but the IOC said no, no political messages. I don't know how it's political considering it's in memory of fallen athlete Sarah Burke, who was instrumental in bringing the sport to the Olympics in the first place and died doing the sport she loved, never getting to compete in these games. It's so ridiculous and insensitive of the IOC.

From Torah Bright's Instagram:

It's hard for me not to think of Sarah Burke watching the women's freestyle skiing events. She would have been a gold medal contender in the sport she loved and worked so hard to bring to the Olympic Games. She was also just a really lovely and inspiring human being.

Gold hearted fun loving Aussie Angel
0 likes
We'll done to Torah Bright Australia winning silver in the woman's half pipe. Courageous effort and skills from all that competed
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
How’s this for a crazy yet heartwarming Olympic story.

Speed skater Gilmore Junio had qualified to skate both the 500m and 1000m in Sochi. It was his first Olympics and his specialty is the 500m, where he placed 10th on Monday. He knew that he had a slim to none chance to get a medal in the 1000m, yet his whole family had flown to Russia to watch him compete.

His teammate Denny Morrison’s specialty was the 1000m but he had caught a blade in the ice during qualifiers and fell and now he wouldn’t have a chance to compete.

The night before the race, Gilmore Junio decided to ‘gift’ his spot in the 1000m race to his teammate – knowing Denny had a better chance than he did to bring home a medal for their country.

Denny Morrison skated the 1000m race and won the silver medal.

If that isn’t a story of a heroic and selfless Olympic spirit, I don’t know what is. That’s pretty damn hard to do – after years of training and hard work – giving up your own spot in the Olympics to a teammate because he has a better chance than you do.

Nicely played, Gilmore Junio!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
The Value of Gold

So how much is a gold medal really worth to the athlete who wins one in Sochi?

Some athletes are gifted prize money by their home country for bringing home gold.

Kazakhstan - $250,000 in prize money.
Latvia - $192,000
Italy - $191,000
Ukraine - $150,000
Australia - $126,000
Finland - $41,000, unless it’s a gold in hockey which is worth $82,000 in prize money
USA - $25,000
Canada - $18,000

Awarding cash runs counter to the Olympic ideal of amateurism, which some nations still cling to.
Britain, Norway, Croatia and Sweden are among the countries that offer no cash prize for bringing home a medal.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hahaha

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
love all the downhill ski events, slopestyle, half pipe - I love to ski and board, so it's great to watch these athletes kick ass on each specialty! I also enjoy the luge and skeleton - always loved to sled as a kid and would love one crack at going down one of those runs - one run would probably kill me, but you gotta go out with a bang!
Lurker
0 likes

Joss Christensen, Gus Kenworthy, Nick Goepper sweep the podium in Slopestyle skiing yesterday. USA!!! USA!!!!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by InTooDeep
love all the downhill ski events, slopestyle, half pipe - I love to ski and board, so it's great to watch these athletes kick ass on each specialty! I also enjoy the luge and skeleton - always loved to sled as a kid and would love one crack at going down one of those runs - one run would probably kill me, but you gotta go out with a bang!

I watched luge and skeleton and kept trying to figure out which one would scare me more. They go sooooo fast!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
By the way, how crazy was that shoot out between US and Russia in hockey yesterday? Not that I care about Russia winning at all, but the goal that didn't count because the peg holding the net came loose was a jaw dropper for me. I get that Olympic rules are different but that 1 inch difference with the corner of the net didn't impact how that goal went in and I like to see fair-play for athletes. Anyway - both teams were well matched and strong. I don't even watch a lot of hockey but could feel the pressure and tension mounting in that game. Oshie was quite the rockstar in that shootout!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

By the way, how crazy was that shoot out between US and Russia in hockey yesterday? Not that I care about Russia winning at all, but the goal that didn't count because the peg holding the net came loose was a jaw dropper for me. I get that Olympic rules are different but that 1 inch difference with the corner of the net didn't impact how that goal went in and I like to see fair-play for athletes. Anyway - both teams were well matched and strong. I don't even watch a lot of hockey but could feel the pressure and tension mounting in that game. Oshie was quite the rockstar in that shootout!
The net has to be secure though. I read oline that Ovechkin accused Quick of dislodging the net on purpose. seemed to be a mystery why the goal was disallowed at 1st. Maybe it was some compensation for screwing the US women in thier game against Canada As for using the same player for the shootout i thought it was sort of bush-league. I know it's allowed but, i dont think it sits well with the other players on the bench.

On a side note: Finland looks pretty strong these olympics . Plus , i'm really shocked that Slovakia is playing as horrible as they are.
Lurker
0 likes

Davis and White Capture the gold in ice dancing !!!!!

Plus The US women's Hockey team clinch spot in gold medal game . USA!!!!! USA!!!!!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
And with back to back flawless programs in both the short and freedance, congratulations to the iconic and legendary team of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir for giving us their best and winning the silver medal, to add to the silver medal and gold medal that they've already won in what is truly an astounding competitive career.

Whether the fix was in or not, the skating community, commentators and past greats of the sport know exactly where they stand in the history of the sport and what they've accomplished in Sochi and they're at the very top of their game.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
And with back to back flawless programs in both the short and freedance, congratulations to the iconic and legendary team of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir for giving us their best and winning the silver medal, to add to the silver medal and gold medal that they've already won in what is truly an astounding competitive career.

Whether the fix was in or not, the skating community, commentators and past greats of the sport know exactly where they stand in the history of the sport and what they've accomplished in Sochi and they're at the very top of their game.

You sound upset over the outcome
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Ajax
Quote by Dancing_Doll

You sound upset over the outcome

Well... mixed feelings. I was involved in the sport when I was a kid so I'm looking at this from more than a casual observer or Olympic spectator perspective. There has been talk over the past two years from notorieties in the sport that something about the judging has been amiss and there's been talk of collusion. That's not coming from one national camp or another, by the way, it includes North Americans, Russians, Finns, BBC commentators. Then the L'Equipe story broke. It's a reputable sports magazine that first broke the Lance Armstrong scandal, so it's not a tossaway rumour.

In particular, I was disappointed in the short dance where Virtue & Moir had points deducted on their Finnstep. The guy that actually invented the Finnstep moves in this particular dance was a Finnish ice dancer by the name of Petri Kokko. He tweeted this:

Totally taking nothing away from Charlie and Meryl, who are an extremely accomplished dance team. Those who know the ins and outs of the sport though see differences (you can read a decent overview in this article). To the untrained eye, it's impossible to see why one team is better than another, but to those that understand program component scores, you can see that something has been 'off' in the scores at Sochi. Nearly every team topped their personal bests in the short program, and yet V&M who were flawless and the top choice by the guy who actually invented the Finnstep, were two points behind their personal best. That in itself - shows something isn't right with how things have been going down in the judges box.

Ice Dance has always been figure skating's problem child though - without jumps - it's the easiest discipline to 'fix/judge' ahead of time. I'm just all for a fair shake for the athletes. They all spend a crazy amount of time training. If politics come into play (realistically the $$ that can get funnelled for gold medalists in a country like the US is huge), then it's just a shame for both teams. Who wants to win a gold amidst this kind of scandal, right? It tarnishes it somehow. And damn - this has been blowing up on twitter, social media and the press for over a week now. It's all I'm seeing. If it does turn into something akin to the [url=http://]2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City [/url] where it was finally verified that there was a judging fix, and they had to award second Gold medals after-the-fact, then the sport is basically doomed as far as Olympic competition.

Anyway - either way - I'd congratulate the top two teams - they were both fantastic.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I also have to give a shout out to the Russian pair of Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapo for their bronze medal winning performance in Ice Dance. This particular lift, which was set to exactly the right moment in the music, was a real showstopper. I kept thinking of Mila Kunis in Black Swan though.

Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Totally taking nothing away from Charlie and Meryl, who are an extremely accomplished dance team. Those who know the ins and outs of the sport though see differences (you can read a decent overview in this article). To the untrained eye, it's impossible to see why one team is better than another, but to those that understand program component scores, you can see that something has been 'off' in the scores at Sochi. Nearly every team topped their personal bests in the short program, and yet V&M who were flawless and the top choice by the guy who actually invented the Finnstep, were two points behind their personal best. That in itself - shows something isn't right with how things have been going down in the judges box.

Ice Dance has always been figure skating's problem child though - without jumps - it's the easiest discipline to 'fix/judge' ahead of time. I'm just all for a fair shake for the athletes. They all spend a crazy amount of time training. If politics come into play (realistically the $$ that can get funnelled for gold medalists in a country like the US is huge), then it's just a shame for both teams. Who wants to win a gold amidst this kind of scandal, right? It tarnishes it somehow. And damn - this has been blowing up on twitter, social media and the press for over a week now. It's all I'm seeing. If it does turn into something akin to the [url=http://]2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City [/url] where it was finally verified that there was a judging fix, and they had to award second Gold medals after-the-fact, then the sport is basically doomed as far as Olympic competition.

Anyway - either way - I'd congratulate the top two teams - they were both fantastic.

I'm finding a harder and harder time accepting the validity of a sport that's decided by human judges rather than against a clock, or a race to a certain number of points. It's just too easy for judges to cross over from unavoidable subjectivity to outright fixing, or more importantly, it's too difficult to assure the public that such activities aren't going on. To say nothing of the horribly corrupt IOC in general. When I really start thinking about it, it starts to spoil the entire Olympics for me, so I try not to.

I watched a replay of the ice dancing finals this morning (I was working and couldn't see the broadcast last night), and granted, I really don't know what I'm watching as far as the intricacies go, but I really thought the Canadian dancers were better. In the previous round (?) the night before, when the American team also had higher scores, the NBC crew even said, "the Canadians must now be thinking, 'what's can we possibly do to take back first place?'". In light of what I'd read, it put a sour tasted in my mouth.

So yes, the whole thing sucks. I've read things that essentially say that the conspiracy theory may sound exciting, but practically speaking makes little sense, and yes, it's only a rumor at this point. However, the outcomes did happen exactly as theorized.

I like watching figure skating and ice dancing; I have tremendous respect for their talents, and strength, and artistry. But I almost feel like I enable this sham by watching it. I wish there were some better way to determine a winner among all of these individuals and couples whose abilities are simply breathtaking.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I also have to give a shout out to the Russian pair of Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapo for their bronze medal winning performance in Ice Dance. This particular lift, which was set to exactly the right moment in the music, was a real showstopper. I kept thinking of Mila Kunis in Black Swan though.

All I've got to say is, God I'd hate to be that guy's balls at that moment. I know nothing of figure skating's scoring methods or means. I just like to watch the girls' asses.