R.I.P. David Bowie

last reply
47 replies
4.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
I was heartbroken when I heard the news this morning. I have loved David Bowie for years. Much of his music in the 80's really shaped my formidable years. In fact, he was in my all time favorite "Muppet" movie... Labyrinth. So, to honor David Bowie's memory, here's my favorite song (actually... my two favorite songs, but the second one must be in a separate post)

RIP Goblin King
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
And my other favorite song...

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
One of my favorite quotes:

“I'm a born librarian with a sex drive”
― David Bowie
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
When I think of him, four main things come to mind:

1] Quote near/at open of "Breakfast Club" (watched edited on cable a lot years ago)
2] Playing Tesla in "The Prestige" (explained it to relative after I got clue on "Jeopardy" once)
3] Davy Jones of Monkees & name-change
4] This article
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Peri

Aww Steph you're crying like my mom who is a faithful follower of David Bowie. She actually had a crush on him in her teens. You can find so much of David Bowie in her house in London. This morning she rang me and I could hear nothing but her sobs and sighs. Anyway, I created a thread here in remembrance of David but soon Liz told us to move to similar thread created by Nicola (Your mother? I read somewhere :P). And further posting on my thread was ceased by someone as if they were in possession of a magical wand....
So if you promise not to cry any more, I'll post another clip of David Bowiesmile

We NEED to CLEAR SOMETHING UP here!!!

NICOLA IS NOT MY MUM!!!

xx SF

Nicola: "I would have aborted you..."

Me: "Thanks, mommy..."
Classified
0 likes

One thing for sure is that this Star Man will not rest in peace.
He will join the other illustrious for the biggest and longest jamming session.
Bob, Freddie, John and all the others, already playing.
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Lurker
0 likes
It was sad. I sat down & watched Labyrinth with my daughter. She loved it. Now another generation to love & appreciate David Bowie. You will be missed!
Troublemaker
0 likes
If you don't own Ziggy Stardust don't even talk to me....this is my favourite Bowie song...RIP

0 likes
Quote by Frank

One thing for sure is that this Star Man will not rest in peace.
He will join the other illustrious for the biggest and longest jamming session.
Bob, Freddie, John and all the others, already playing.

So true

He left an indelible mark on music, style and an entire generation. The King of Glam, and the pioneer of Punk Rock. I will miss his music and his down to earth personaltiy. He was a truly great man...

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Shocked yesterday when I found out but like the one song by the Righteous Bros says "If there's a rock n roll heaven they have one hell of a band. RIP David Bowie
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
icon, legend. genius, innovator all in one and so many more... your music will live on in all of this world forever
Lurker
0 likes
Ashes To Ashes

Its Ashes to Ashes
Now the Starman has gone
To a seat in the heavens
Where the party lives on.

Where ziggy keeps playing
Like its Hunky Dory,
And we could all be heroes
In another crazy story.

Now life on Mars is coming
In an oddity of space,
As the man who sold the world
We never can replace.

So turn up every station
And put your helmet on,
It's time to leave this capsule
So Goodnight Major Tom.

Gone too soon! R.I.P. The Man that fell to Earth
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Creativity has no age limit. Consider this his last gift to us. When you watch it, and realize just how close to death he was when he made this, it sends shivers up my spine. But beyond that, it's a remarkable piece, and the more I hear it, the more I realize just how precious he was to me, and how much I miss him already. My partner and I spent most of the evening jumping about Youtube, listening to everything from The Laughing Gnome, released in 1967 (he never did live that down, but I love it!) to this, his final release. We laughed and we cried, but most of all we remembered. I haven't felt this way about losing an artistic icon since the morning I awoke to find Johnny Cash had passed. I am not sure I could pay him a higher compliment than that.

Lurker
0 likes
Patton Oswalt mentioned Bowie's passing yet again on "Conan" last night, saying it saddened him even more knowing that neither he nor Conan will be able to die like Bowie, leaving great work at/near both ends to bookend their career...

That's why I'd rather have a million other diseases than the 2 or 3 I've been diagnosed with for sure... No cures, which means I could die today or in 50 years. At least those committing suicide know when it's happening.
Lurker
0 likes
I read a few days back the man that shares my hometown, Dave Grohl, is going to perform a tribute to him on an upcoming show (maybe Oscars). Days before that, read DG recalling DB turning-down a discussed collaboration, so it surprises me a bit (both the refusal & that Dave recalls that & will still perform the other).