Login

Love is a Fire!

last reply
2 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is something I wrote a while back. It's not a poem, so I can't post it there. I guess (or maybe I think) this would be an ok place to put it up for all to see....

What is Love? Or, Building the Fire!

Just what is love, and how does it start or, let's build a fire.....

True love is the total emotional and physical bond between two people - regardless of sex – that makes being separated or with another person unbearable. It’s like trying to have a nice warm fire without the heat, fuel or oxygen.

Finding that true love is not unlike building a fire, from the finding and gathering the wood, to a roaring inferno. It’s friendship on fire!

First, is the gathering of the wood – or the meeting of two people. This can happen at any age, any place, or any time. Be it a shopping mall, in kindergarten, traveling, or walking down a path or street.

The wood is gathered and piled in a heap, then sorted by size – the very smallest to the largest. The tinder is the very first, followed by the kindling, and subsequent larger pieces. Or, it’s the initial meeting of two people and the looks given to each other. The friendship is forming, the bond is the glue to hold it together.

The finest of the tinder is piled first, This is the starter, the glances between people, followed by the kindling – in a nice loose pile. Ah, the introductions are made.

Next is the kindling, piled loosely around the tinder, followed by larger and larger pieces, all kept nice and loose - it’s got to breath! Games and conversations are starting, the friendship is forming, and bonds are forming. They stay fairly close together, cementing their forming bond and that friendship.

Time passes, it can be fast or it can be very slow. Only those involved are oblivious to the passing of time. The size of the fire gets larger and larger. The friendship is growing, evolving, it has a life of its own. But, it’s not there yet, something is missing, but what?

Just like any fire it’s a triangle; of heat, fuel and oxygen. In love and friendships, the fuel is the meeting and forming of a close bond. The oxygen is the desire to remain close to each other, even with looks across a room, street or playground. The desire to call on the phone, just to hear that other voice. The breath and heart quicken when the other party is heard or seen.

So, what are we missing here? We have the fuel and we have the oxygen. We have introductions and a loose friendship that is growing and evolving. Where is that spark? Where is that heat? What’s going to get the love started?

Now we’re back to time. Rome wasn’t built in a day, they say. A good fire takes time to build properly or it won’t last! It will soon extinguish itself if done improperly. It’s the same with friendships and love, both need some time and neutering to grow properly. That’s that desire of two people to be close, the want of hearing that one voice or seeing that face, even a simple touch.

Touch? Touch you say? Can this be “IT”? Can’t be that simple, can it? A match is pulled out of a pocked and struck. It’s touched to the tinder. A hand reaches out and touches the hand of another. Wow, it’s a shock! A spark! This is “IT”! The match ignites the tender and the fire is started. Fingers reach out and entwine, a smile is formed on two faces. The fire is starting to flicker, starting to grow, to flare up, and to evolve! The bond of friendship is formed. They are inseparable now.

The flame of Love is spreading, just as the flame in the tinder flares and spreads. The kindling ignites, the flames spreading and spreading. Soon larger and larger pieces catch the heat, just as in a friendship to love.

From friendship, to infatuation, to a crush, to love. Love cares not for whom it touches or who it consumes. It does have a mind of its own, just as a fire untended can spread and consume everything around. The love between two people consumes their heart, their mind and their very soul.

So people, find someone and build a friendship – yeah, build that all consuming fire!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
just thought I'ld give you one reply
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Iceman, do you happen to know me & my S.O.? I was married for 38 years then divorced. I had been friends with a woman for over 10 years at that time. Her husband was a good friend of mine also.Sadly he died. My friendly relationship with his wife now widow had always been just that . Friendly only. I never ever thought of her in any kind of a sexual way. He was my friend & I would never even think of any of my friends wives that way. No true friend does. After a period of time our friendship grew. Still platonic & with no intentions otherwise. Then guess what happened? Through no control of our own somehow a fire was starting to build. Seems as if we realized at about the same time that the fire was growing and we couldn't do anything about it. First we were in denial about it. Then acceptance. And it just blows my mind that your essay or whatever it should be called was written for us. Every word, sentence, paragraph is a description of our relationship. This could not have been written by a person who had not had a fire built around them & if that is the case I hope that it is still flaming out of sight. I would like to have permission to print this essay just for the two of us. Personal only. If you have a problem with that then i can respect your decision with no ill feelings at all. We are proud just to have found it . Thanks