Is this a compliment or?

last reply
22 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Would you consider this as a compliment or an insult if you were this man's better half.

Personally, I'm on the fence.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I can see the veiled compliment but if it was said to me I wouldn't hear it that way
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by elitfromnorth
Would you consider this as a compliment or an insult if you were this man's better half.

Personally, I'm on the fence.

Depending on his history with the ex, I'd say it was a compliment. If he re-married the ex, she'd get stuck with the funeral bills, and he'd have set me free to do what I wanted.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I'm with Shylass, at least it wouldn't be on me to pay the bills.

I think I'd be more offended, even if he wanted to re-marry his ex because it eternity, be it good or bad, he still rather be with her than me in his final days. So, bye, be gone.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would expect my ass to be kicked to the curb
Chat Moderator
0 likes
I see how some people would look at it as a compliment, backhanded one, but a compliment... I think most people would look at it as you would rather spend your last days on this earth with someone you divorced and dont love rather than be with the one who loves you...
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I look at it as a husband asking his wife to please stop asking him stupid questions.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Jokes should be phrased as jokes. If you left it like that you deserve the hot water you are in.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by CleverFox
I look at it as a husband asking his wife to please stop asking him stupid questions.

Er this^^. Its clearly a joke. Theres nothing to be taken from it.
Velvet-Voiced Titillator
0 likes
Quote by Ardentmale
I see how some people would look at it as a compliment, backhanded one, but a compliment... I think most people would look at it as you would rather spend your last days on this earth with someone you divorced and don't love rather than be with the one who loves you...

I agree that it's a backhanded compliment. Putting the fact that it's a joke aside, I think it makes him pretty selfish. He's going to be dead in a year, so instead of thinking about spending the time helping his wife, he thinks of a way in which he can make himself want to die.

That's just my opinion though, I am sure others will have different views.
Lurker
0 likes
In the moment I'd probably slap the mess out of him but then once I calmed down and realized what he was saying I would A apologize for being a bitch and B take solace in knowing that our marriage was working out much better than his old one.
Lurker
0 likes
Maybe wife was high on something and she just wanted to 'fantasize' about silly things.. I would laugh though
Lurker
0 likes
Just sounds like a joke to me. Some people should lighten up a little.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
Quote by Jayne33

I agree that it's a backhanded compliment. Putting the fact that it's a joke aside, I think it makes him pretty selfish. He's going to be dead in a year, so instead of thinking about spending the time helping his wife, he thinks of a way in which he can make himself want to die.

That's just my opinion though, I am sure others will have different views.

Your post just made me think of the movie P.S. I Love You... THATS what a man with a year to live would do for the woman he loves...
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by evie_j

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Ardentmale

Your post just made me think of the movie P.S. I Love You...

It is a movie about this?? No wonder that he made a joke out of it.
I imagine scenario where she made him go watch girlie movie, than she was insecure and needy enough to demand the same from her partner what she saw in the movie, lol, no wonder he laughed at her.
Velvet-Voiced Titillator
0 likes
Quote by Ardentmale

Your post just made me think of the movie P.S. I Love You... THATS what a man with a year to live would do for the woman he loves...

I actual prefer the book, having read it several times before seeing the film, I just didn't think the film matched up to the book, but then I think that is mostly always the case. If you enjoyed the film, and haven't read the book, then I highly recommend it.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by evie_j

Exactly!

I would laugh - it's not a compliment or an insult - it's just meant as a joke.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
not only is it a joke... it's an old one
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by evie_j

This. I'm a little astonished that people are taking this so seriously.
Lurker
0 likes
This thread is a bit like asking for a consensus on why the chicken actually crossed the road, in the belief that the chicken actually existed. It's blindingly obvious there is no chicken.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by urbancoyote
This thread is a bit like asking for a consensus on why the chicken actually crossed the road, in the belief that the chicken actually existed. It's blindingly obvious there is no chicken.

Apt analogy.