Login

I love my home town because…

last reply
25 replies
1.7k views
1 watcher
2 likes
0 likes
I love my hometown because of the amazing diversity of people.

I'm a white guy, standing in line behind a woman wearing a niqab, who's standing in line behind a person of color in drag. The cashier is of East Indian extraction.

No one even blinks. Just another Tuesday…

James

An incredibly talented, but modest Polar Bear, often mischievous, but never malicious!

Active Ink Slinger
1 like
Because............my home town is London, the greatest city in the world.
Her Royal Spriteness
1 like
Oakland, CA.

This one’s for you Xuani. My sister. Love and respect, wherever you are. heart

Trump recently called it a hell hole. Fuck you. Fuck you. You who grew up with everything you needed or didn’t need or wanted. I have the right to call it a hell hole. You? You say ‘Oakland’ with respect or you back down and keep your mouth shut, motherfucker.

It’s part of you. It’s in your blood. No matter how far you travel, you’re from Oakland, and you say it with pride. This bitch is from Oaktown, baby. Imperfectly forged. I wear the scars like warpaint. Oakland’s not a place, it’s so much more. A lover. One who comforts you and wraps you in its arms and sings you to sleep, its voice drowning out the sirens and the screeching wheels and the occasional gunshot. One who hurts you one day and heals you the next. One who raised me to be hard when I needed to be and reminded me to love when I didn’t.

For me, it’s the people. The ones who always have your back. All they need to know is your face and you’re family. You need a place to crash? Got room. Not really, but yeah, we’ll make room. And a place at the table. Long as you need. No questions. Need enough for the bus or gas? Yeah, here. Pass it forward, and you did when you could. You live on the same block, the same hood? Didn’t matter if you were black, brown, Asian, or white. You belonged and you watched out for everybody and they watched out for you.

I have so many memories. Good. Bad. Ugly. I treasure them all. Treasure the family that I had, some of them blood, some of them borrowed. Adopted. some of them that I didn’t even know their given names, same as some of them didn’t know mine. I was ‘Blondie’, you know? That was enough. And yeah, all of them beautiful memories, embers that burn deep inside, that will continue to burn as long as I do. Not all of them made it. I buried a lot of friends. Or watched them fall. Some of them did, though, and it’s fucking good to know they’re still out there and that, as long as they are, I could just drop in and it would be like no time has passed. Some days I don’t think about it much and some days I do… like all the times I fell in love and all the times my heart was broken – too many to count, maybe, but I did. Oakland never did, though. Never broke my heart. I live in Seattle now. Have for a long time, but I’m from Oakland. That’s home.

Probably more than you wanted, but you asked. Loud and proud, baby.

this is my hood...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by JamesMerton1960

Hey, I'd like to disagree with you – but I can't.

I fuckin' love London!

An incredibly talented, but modest Polar Bear, often mischievous, but never malicious!

Mana wahine
0 likes
Because.............the only things to do are meth and fishing.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Because it's the biggest city in the States. You can find beaches, forest trails, indoor rock climbing, skydiving (indoor and outdoor), mountain biking, different languages and religions, altruism, drag queens and racers, all the art communities, so much. Unfortunately, it's also known for its gangs, murders, drugs, homelessness, financial income extremes, lack of education, and racism.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Where I grew up. Oakland CA. the memories and the people. it was close to the ocean, to the redwoods, and to the snow. also, it made me tough enough to survive.

Where I live now. Seattle. WA. This is where my wife grew up. i love it because she does. also, it's a beautiful city.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by laura
Because.............the only things to do are meth and fishing.

What about the other F-word activity?

0 likes
Quote by JamesMerton1960

Hey, me, too. Well, except we are probably talking different Londons here. I assume you mean London, UK while I am in London, Ontario, Canada.

What do I like about this city (and I have lived here for twenty years but wasn't born here)? It's big enough to be interesting but small enough that it doesn't feel like a big city. The flood plains along the Thames River (yes, we stole your river's name, too) are all parkland with walking/biking trails. It is called The Forest City for good reason - we have lots and lots of trees and woodlots scattered through the city besides the parks along the river. All in all, a nice, if a bit dull, place to live.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Because it is unlike any other Ohio town. It looks like a quaint New England village with historic architecture wrapped around a line of hills. It's a liberal college town full of a diverse community from all over the world. It's very safe, very cultured, and I grew up here.

0 likes
Quote by Beffer
Because it is unlike any other Ohio town. It looks like a quaint New England village with historic architecture wrapped around a line of hills. It's a liberal college town full of a diverse community from all over the world. It's very safe, very cultured, and I grew up here.

Nice picture and a lovely town. Have not really spent much time in Ohio save one trip for a cousin's (by marriage) graduation.
Lurker
0 likes
Great forum subject. And very original.

But I don't love my hometown.

This is from my back yard. That barn is ours. It's a picturesque, bucolic little valley, but I hated every minute of living there. Now of course there were some freedoms that we had but would hae preferred to live in a city.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's serene and quite by the seaside. I could have a smoke or drink, interrupted by none ...
Trust people to be themselves...
0 likes
Crime really isn't a big thing here compared to other big cities in the world.

My last published story: Good For Nothing

Chatterbox Blonde- Rumps Mystical Bartender
0 likes
There's one thing that unites everyone in my home town, the deep love of sport.
We tend to revere the oval ball of rugby, but the Gaelic Games get plenty of love too.
Boxing, horse racing, and rowing get a look in too.
We may not be the biggest city in the world, but we have a big heart and lots of it revolves around sports.
Whatever was posted is always meant in love and respect never to offend.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

I've been listening to my kinky pencil here's my current work

My current Competition entry is here
A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

My hometown is small, friendly and safe. I rarely lock my doors unless I'm gone for the day and have never locked the cars at all.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Because it's the best mix of City and country and the weather is pretty stable. The location exactly middle distance from both the beach and the mountains.

0 likes

Because my oldest and closest friends are from there. And the property I grew up on is absolutely gorgeous.