Force 8.9 earthquake hits Japan

last reply
17 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Internet Sensation
0 likes
It's horrible. If anyone needs a place to stay, the chat rooms are open 24/7.
(or I could have a few people in my room, but I don't live in Japan...)
Lurker
0 likes
Previously, there was the huge one in the Indian Ocean. Think plate tectonics. The Earth is ever changing, we just can't stand that it interrupts our visit.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It is horrible indeed. The power of nature never fails to amaze me.

The fact is that earthquakes have been happening as long as the earth has been here, wherever that is... Besides, we're getting close to December 2012 anyway, keh.
Lurker
0 likes
The scariest part of the whole nuclear power plant issue is after shock. Cross your fingers.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just for the record last time they had an earthquake close to this magnitude, Mt. Fuji erupted. Heard today that a volcano in the southern part was erupting.
Matriarch
0 likes
I saw on the news earlier that 2000 people were found dead on a beach in the north.

I know nuclear power stations need lots of water to cool, but building them close to the ocean? I mean, Tsunami is a Japanese word. What on earth were they thinking?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
They either need lots of wind or lots of water. I don't know if there is enough wind in Japan but they obviously chose to go with water cooled reactors for whatever reasons. I can't imagine a tsunami destroying a nuclear power plant as they would have had measures in place to prevent that. And as far as I am aware it wasn't the tsunami that broke the cooling systems but the earthquake which is an extremely rare event, at that magnitude anyway.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
all we need to do is to pray to all disaster of other country will going through and hoping not to happen in our country... since we cannot control this gods act...
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I admire and am impressed with the way the Japanese are handling the aftermath despite the concerns about the potential nuclear meltdown. Considering what has happened, everyone is working together for the greater good of survival, politely standing in line for water and basic food supplies. The culture really asserts a level or order and calm and community.

I strongly suspect that if the same earthquake/tsunami disaster hit North America, the aftermath would not quite be as orderly, and in fact would probably escalate into total anarchy, looting and violence (if we look at Katrina as a kind of preview). Another reason to hope (possibly in vain) that the same kind of natural disaster doesn't hit this continent.
Lurker
0 likes
Got a co-worker who's daughter lives in Japan. It's a temp thing but for some reason she's not leaving, just yet. I don't get it.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Thirty-five years ago, Dale G. Bridenbaugh and two of his colleagues at General Electric resigned from their jobs after becoming increasingly convinced that the nuclear reactor design they were reviewing --the Mark 1 -- was so flawed it could lead to a devastating accident.

What fuels Japan's nuclear reactors?

At this time, it is being openly admitted that readings are 400 mR/hr at 20 miles out from the source.

What really pisses me off is the utter lack of honest news actually coming out of or being reported about the dire situation in Japan. Mainstream Media in the US? Might as well forget it. You have to get the news from the internet and of all places...Rense or PrisonPlanet.

We are fucked

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
http://www.infowars.com/alert-fukushima-coverup-40-years-of-spent-nuclear-rods-blown-sky-high/

http://www.nirs.org/reactorwatch/accidents/6-1_powerpoint.pdf <-- Information crucial to what is actually on site at these nuclear reactor sites.

The world is being told that only Building no.4 has stored spent fuel rods. ALL 6 buildings are storing spent rods. It should be obvious by now that the authorities in Japan are lying about the effort to contain the situation in order to mollify the public.

The Fukushima Daiichi plant has seven pools dedicated to spent fuel rods. These are located at the top of six reactor buildings – or were until explosions and fires ravaged the plant. On the ground level there is a common pool in a separate building that was critical damaged by the tsunami. Each reactor building pool holds 3,450 fuel rod assemblies and the common pool holds 6,291 fuel rod assemblies. Each assembly holds sixty-three fuel rods. In short, the Fukushima Daiichi plant contains over 600,000 spent fuel rods – a massive amount of radiation that will soon be released into the atmosphere.

http://www.japannuclear.com/nuclearpower/program/waste.html
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It must be a conspiracy.
Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Jillicious
It must be a conspiracy.

Contrary to an old adage, what you don’t know CAN harm you.

One may be the most highly intelligent person in the world, but if he or she
is operating on erroneous or incomplete information, a truthful and correct
conclusion on any issue is impossible.

Additionally, a person is at a distinct disadvantage when confronted with
new and unfamiliar information in any situation. So, you want to know all
you can about a wide variety of topics. And none are more fascinating than
the subjects being tossed about on the Internet in the Digital Age.

Some of the issues are concerned with conspiracy, a term formerly disparaged
by the corporate-controlled mass media. However, since the attacks of Sep-
tember 11, 2001, were obviously the result of someone’s conspiracy, the term has been
somewhat rehabilitated.

My motto—“If it’s not an act of God, it’s a conspiracy”—still
stands.
Sure, accidents happen. Cars crash, ships sink and airplanes crash.

But if an event is not an accident and more than one person is involved, by the dictionary
definition, you have a conspiracy.

Conspiracies are not all bad. If you throw your friend a surprise birthday
party, that’s a conspiracy, but it’s not a bad one. However, if people conspire to break
the law or harm someone else, that’s certainly not good.

The Internet is chock-full of conspiracies and mysteries. The Net is a conundrum within
itself because the upside of the Internet is that everyone and anyone has access to
this modern phenomenon. The downside is that everyone and anyone has access.
The problem is separating the wheat from the chaff, distinguishing between good
information and bad.

How does one fnd the truth behind any conspiracy? Take a lesson from the
great detectives and journalists of the past.

Don’t settle for superficial and facile explanations. Dig past the obvious
evidence—which can be fabricated or planted - and look for finer facts. Go past the
headlines and seek evidence in the small print deep within a news story. Carefully
look at the source of a story.

If you read an article about the safeness of nuclear power and note that the story
is based on information from the Atomic Industrial Forum, an industry organization
promoting the commercial use of nuclear power, you will know that you are not
getting both sides of the story.

Likewise, a piece raising alarm over land use citing the Earth Liberation Front as its
source most probably is not a fair and balanced account of the issue.
Study all sides of an issue. Don’t allow partisan politics or an ingrained
belief system to infuence what you read and hear.

Don’t trust polls and statistics; it has been repeatedly proven that these
can be manipulated by loaded questions and misleading arithmetic. For example, did
you know that 82.4 percent of all statistics are just made up on the spot? See what
I mean?

Don’t put your trust in media personalities. In Great Britain, they have it
right. Instead of “news anchors,” media talking heads there are called “presenters,”
a more appropriate description. Most news presenters are fine folks but let’s face it,
they “rip and read,” that is, they read news stories right off the wires that are placed
before them.

They simply do not have the time or inclination to verify all the stories they must deal
with on a daily basis. Additionally, they rarely have the background knowledge or
leniency from management to pass judgment on the truth of any given story. After all,
the sins of the corporate-controlled mass media are primarily those of omission
rather than commission.

Most importantly, begin to think for yourself rather than putting your trust in per -
sons and pronouncements in the media. This does not mean that any old idea that
pops into your head is as valid as those of conventional thinking.

Davy Crockett once said, “Be always sure you’re right and then go ahead.”
The key here is to make certain you know what you are talking about. Just because
you learned something in Sunday school, public school or from your parents does not
necessarily mean that you got correct information.

When you tackle a controversial issue, start out with the fundamental questions that
were once taught to beginning journalism students—Who, What, When,
Where and Why.

Armed with these basics and hopefully a dash of deductive reasoning, you are now ready to take on the world of mystery and conspiracy.

- Jim Marrs (investigative reporter)

Maybe it's a conspiracy Jill...or maybe it's just some professor making up stories and throwing shit against the wall in a classroom of young, naive students hoping some of what he spouts, will stick. And 'that' can't be a conspiracy, can it?
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Jillicious
I apologize if I have offended you.

You offend no one, Jill. Least of all, me.