8.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I think it's just Physical Graffiti and ugly
Lurker
0 likes
No I don't see it as fine art. I personally would never get one because I have a huge phobia of needles, but I have seen some absolutely beautiful tats before. I don't understand why anyone would get them all over their body--show your own beauty (inner or out )is my motto. Those who love them are more daring than I!
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I consider anything that requires skill and creativity to be an art. Building furniture, playing music, writing, painting...all of these are arts. As for what makes them fine arts, well that is for those who are moved by the work to decide.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kimasa
I think it's just Physical Graffiti and ugly

I consider graffity to be art! Im not sure there is a distinction in the english language that seperates comon street gang scribbles from the murals that artist are displaying in maior metopolises of the world.

In portguese we clearly distinguish "graffiti" as te artform and "pichar" the act of defacing public and prvate property.
Lurker
0 likes
I consider my tattoo (see profile) to be a form of art because I gave my tattoo artist an idea and she drew it up it also has meaning to me and when I look At it I feel an emotion. Which is how I view art does it bring me an emotion.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think they're at best ordinary and worst ugly.

I have never, ever seen something on someone's skin that has made me think "that moves me" - usually they just make me judge the person who has to wear it
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
I don't know about "fine" art, but the artists I know are pretty talented. I can't draw like that. Like anything there's going to be good and bad...I have one I regret, but overall definitely art.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I think that tattoo's are an art to the person that has them. For those of you that say they are not a fine art, try going to a tattoo parlor and watch the ARTIST at work. One mistake and there is nothing you can do. You can not paint over it or start over. There are ppl out there that give this art a bad name i.e. the ppl that get a tattoo cuz they think it is cool. But then again how may ppl own art and have no idea what it means or what the artist is feeling. They are the same ppl just pay more money and the art will be recycled to the next person that thanks it is a pritty sun rise or what ever it may be. So what I am trying to say is that yes tattoo's are art, if you understand them or not does not make them ugly or disgraceful just art you do not understand.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it is a shame that some very talented artists apparently have no way to make a living with their talent other than applying tattoos. And a poorly executed tattoo is self-imposed disfigurement. I see no reason to ever get one, and most people I know who got one when they were younger live to regret it. I'm sure my response shows my age, as they are all too common among those even 10 years younger than myself. If that's what you want to do with your body and your money, to each his own, but they are a turn-off to me.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I personally think they are OUTSTANDING IF they are done properly. Ihad mine done while visiting the UK and love them..very tasteful...and artful.
Lurker
0 likes
Most definitely! Tattoos are a fine art of self expression.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Art knows no canvass..Anything can be used to express art..
No one can make you jealous, angry, vengeful, or greedy -unless you let him.
- Napoleon Hill
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by jerseylynn
Art knows no canvass..Anything can be used to express art..

i like this, mostly because it's 100% true. btw, graffetti can be art as well. i have seen some beautiful "graffetti" in my day.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Each Tattoo is different as is each artist. I myself have a tattoo, and I have a friend who does but his tattoos are poorly done yet he likes them. Each person has their different opinion for some being fine art I have to agree. If the aritist truly is passionate about his work no matter what the design is and it comes out beautifully then yes fine art it is.
Miss Sassy Pants
0 likes
I have 10 tattoos and I love my art. A tattoo should be carefully considered, placed and have meaning to the one getting it. Just to get one, for the sake of having one, yeah no. I researched mine throughly, spending hours looking. They are not for everyone. I accept that, so do not judge one for having them. You just might be missing out on a great person.
Lurker
0 likes
Personally, no but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think some tattoos are creative and artistic but the majority of tattoos that I have seen are not flattering. I am a decisive person, but I could never decide what I'd like to permanently brand on my body. Before my brother died, he and his wife happened to have a discussion about how he would visit her if he ever passed away, and he said that it would be as a monarch butterfly. I grieved deeply for him and still do and that is really the only symbol I had considered getting. I bought a silver charm of a butterfly instead because I just couldn't tattoo my body. To each his/her own.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I loved watching the INK series (Miami, LA, NY) and some of the work the artists came up with was breathtaking.

Now if you had a tattoo like this:

That's just graffati on your arse.
Lurker
0 likes
Tattoes will be fine art for me when its on a canvas...real cardboard canvas...
Lurker
0 likes
depends on the tattoo some can being meaningful and the artistry and drawing techniques can be amazing. then others can be pointless and thoughtless
Lurker
0 likes
Just thinking out loud here.

If tattooing is the use of ink on skin in the same way as painting is the use of paint on canvas, paper, card etc. then to define tattoos as fine art is possibly as meaningless as defining painting as fine art: some paintings are fine art and some aren't. The artistic merit comes from the way it is applied rather than the use of a particular medium. I think that tattoos can be fine art but not all are.

I think the issue I have with tattoos are that as people we change and grow throughout our lives. If we decorate our living spaces with a particular style of art then that art may reflect where we are as people at that moment in time, whether spiritually, politically, musically or whatever. (I'm thinking here of posters of pop stars, Che Guevara and religious iconography, as well as pictures such as Vladimir Tretchikoff's painting of the Chinese Woman that adorned any self respecting home in the sixties and seventies). As our tastes or opinions change then we can redecorate our rooms (how many people still have a picture of The Green Woman up on their walls?)

However, if someone gets a tattoo then that is permanent. It may be an statement of their tastes/values/opinions at the time when they got the tattoo but, while these may change, the ink on their skin won't. However, they may still be judged according to their tattoos.

Sorry if this was a bit rambling, I was trying to figure out what I thought as I was going along because part of me finds tattoos fascinating but I wouldn't want one myself.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Do I consider tattoos 'fine art?'

No.

Nest question.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN