Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Dealing with change (growing up)

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
So my life is starting to come to a point now where everything is going to change, and I dont know how to handle it.

Im 24, and my sister is 20. Although she recently declined, her and her boyfriend have been talking about moving in together, probably not for a couple of years but its on the cards.

I recently moved into a houseshare but i hated it do much I was home crying the next day and moved home a week later. Im currently waiting for the landlord to find a new tenant.

I also want to start job hunting soon as Im not enjoying my work but am trying to get used to the idea that the job i want might not be somewhere where I can still live at home, i might need to move closer. Owning my own place is in my future plans, no one wants to live with their parents forever, but given what happened recently i dont know if Im ready, or when i will be. Of course I can stay in my current job but Im not enjoying it and feel like i need to move on.

Everything is changing and i dont know how to deal with it.
My sister will leave home and move away, i will probably have to, or definately should do by the age of 25.... Im terrified of things going wrong and not having anyone to support me. My family are so important to me, and i dont keep in contact with my close friends as much as id like to. I moved only about 9 or 10 miles away and i couldnt even handle that! Im single at the moment as well and dont even have any prospects on the horizon, so no chance of moving in as a couple or having someone over a few nights a week. Im going to have to do this alone.

I so want to be able to do the things i want to without being scared but I dont want anything to change either. I dont my sister to move away, or me to live away from my family. All i want to do is stay here and have everything stay the way it is. I dont how to deal with any of this
Active Ink Slinger
I had the same issue, I thought because my sisters moved out straight after they graduated I had to, I moved 6 hours away from my parents and got a new job - I hated it! I wasn't happy and even though I had relatives around I felt lonely. After 6 months I moved home and loved it, until I felt I was ready, like theres nothing left for me here. So I moved and hour and a half away, I met people through a local discussion page. Even just asking if anyone is interested in a work out/walking buddy once a week. I met a lot if nice people.
It's okay to feel nervous, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do move out because your sister is doing it. A great thing to do it start small, finding a new job is perfect. Perhaps you might meet someone looking for a house mate, you never know. But never change everything at once. Then once you've conquered that, what's next on your list.
Don't be ashamed about living with your parents, it's completely normal! (And the greatest thing on earth!)
Rookie Scribe
As one on the other end of life, change is always frightening. But it's unavoidable. And while it's hard to accept, the greatest growth in our lives comes not from times that are easy, but from those that challenge and wound us the most. There is no perfect career, but enjoy your work. Even a coffee shop job can be great if you enjoy your customers, coworkers. We spend so much time working, you should really like what you do. And while your family may be hours or even days of travel away, they will always be your family. Their love for you is unchanging and constant.

Remember to say 'I love you' often to those closest to you. It's OK to be afraid, but not to let fear stop you from embracing life. Even if you have your heart broken, and you will, Love is worth everything.
Ahhh~ That is sad. I know it is hard.

I was the opposite, though, even if I found things difficult, and sadly could not wait to grow up, get out, and I wanted to be farther away than I am today! I was no baby bird who wanted to stay in that nest. I wanted to fly! 'But there can be harm in wanting to fly too soon, too. Somewhere there is balance and that is what is healthy.

Sure we can land on our face. We have to dust ourselves off. You probably won't have another bad experience like that one. You'll have different things, and some will be wonderful parts if your personal story.

This reminds me of my nieces. They were in no hurry either. One did move back home after a first flat with roommates bad experience and then as sisters they moved in places. They were not models for maturity though.

I know it really CAN be scary. This makes me realise how scary my next move will be, but I have moved enough to know that it will be alright and everything "looks" worse going in. I just have to go through it and make the best. Growing up is not a "bad" thing~ as it is a necessity and part of maturing, as no one wants to remain immature, but you do not have to "loose" anything you love or enjoy. Security is an illusion~ that sense family gives and all of that, we grow and learn to provide that feeling for ourselves and in many other ways. They will not be around to always do that. Relying on another person for that is not wise. (I understand the Peter Pan syndrome & some people have a harder time & a dislike of change more than others).

Some people have pets...

Being forced out of our comfort zones can sometimes be a good thing and it does force us to look at ourselves and grow as a human being. It is all a process. One step at a time~

You can ~ Learn to embrace "change" - It can be a GOOD thing
Active Ink Slinger
I had my life exactly where I wanted it once, a good social life, a job that paid me enough money to get by but life is always changing and eventually either you will have to go with it or it will take everything else away from you anyway.
I live in the UK and as part of my studies had to move to Jersey in the Channel Islands for a year, I didnt know anyone, didnt know the island, was starting a new job and was living in a hostel with people Id never spoken to before with very little privacy. I hated the first two weeks, wanted nothing more than to go home, be in my own bed, see my friends again but I stuck at it, smiled, talked to new people and met some of the most interesting people I've known in my life, made some really close friends.

The idea of moving away and everything changing can be a scary prospect especially when your so afraid of being away from everything familiar but it also offers you an opportunity, your forced to put yourself out there to meet new people, to have new experiences and learn new skills. Don't be afraid of change, of moving away, at the end of it all if it doesnt work out you can always go home and people are only a phone call away.