Login

Cosmetic surgery and the opportunities of "beauty"

last reply
16 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
Countless sociological studies and western media (in general) has suggested that 'physical attractiveness and perceived youth' opens doors and creates more opportunity, even in the workplace.

The "Halo Effect" has suggested that attractive people are also often seen as being "more intelligent and competent", and that according to one study, children asked to choose between two teachers, chose the more physically attractive one because they were seen as more competent and nicer.

With this cultural obsession with youth and beauty, how far would you go, if all options were open without any concerns about cost?

Would you ever consider plastic surgery or cosmetic enhancements (ie. botox, fillers etc) to improve your looks or diminish the signs of ageing if it was completely free?

Are there limitations to what you would and would not do?
Lurker
There's no question that it's a beautiful person's world out there. We want perfection, or at least as close as we can get to it. Of course the hot girl with a tight body is going to get the job. Of course the young guy that works out is going to get the nod over some donut-eating shlub that gets out of breath on the phone. You think John Kerry had a better shot at being president if he didn't look like his face was melting off his skull? I'm sure of it.

So naturally, if you know you're beautiful, because people remind you of it all the time, of course you're going to feel better. And when you feel better, you perform better, no matter what it is you are doing. My mentor always taught me, and I do the same thing with those that I'm an agent for: tell your talent that they have to believe that they're hot, and that there's nobody hotter. When they lose sight of that, they just lost half of their auditions, half of their call-backs.

The beautiful are blessed, indeed.

As for me- I am blessed too. I'm not short, or prone to being overweight, or bald, and based on my genetics, I never will be. If I was obese, would I get bariatric surgery? Absolutely! Remaining obese is both a death sentence and an open siphon on my income. Look up the average income difference between short men and tall men, fat men and slim men. It would be more than enough to motivate me.
Fifteen years ago I'd probably have considered implants if they'd been free, but the older I get the more comfortable I am with how I look. Also, becoming a mother helps to fill out in those areas, so I'm okay with it now.

As far as cosmetic surgery to look younger, I really don't like the idea at this point in time. From the examples I've seen, most women don't look younger, they just look like women who've had work done.

Ask me the same question in another ten years, though, and I might have changed my mind!
Lurker
Actually I do agree that image is important in putting your best foot forward and making a positive impression in whatever you do in life. Being blessed in the genetics department is half of it, but the other half is in maintaining a healthy lifestyle which is something I feel very strongly about. If you work out and eat well, that usually translates into being physically attractive. Health is attractive to both sexes. We want to be with someone that takes care of the vehicle they were given to travel through life with. A healthy lifestyle will also help with the aging process.

If someone has a specific body part that they were born with and can't be changed through their own efforts, then I fully support the idea of surgical alterations. At the end of the day, it comes down to an individual choice.
Rookie Scribe
Personally a couple of years ago if you asked me do I want free cosmetic surgery, I'd grab the option with both hands. I was a pretty over weight teen. But I knew for the industry that I want to work in I have to look a certain way.

That industry is the film; and for anyone whose ever worked in theatre and film you know that no matter how great an actress or actor you are you will not get the lead if your not the skinny or look a certain way. Or healthy and fit to keep up with dancing and singing (the stage).

But if I'd had the surgery I'd have missed out on achieving the body I always wanted myself, and the joys of keeping fit. If you want a banging body work for it.

But if its something in your face, or something that is seriously damaging your self esteem why not let people free have surgery.
Active Ink Slinger
I can understand plastic surgery in moderation, in certain circumstances... but I see it sometimes used as a band aid to insecurity. People like Pamela Anderson, who was one of the world's most beautiful women, ever... until she destroyed her looks with unnecessary plastic surgery.... it's so sad.

I don't know... the women who appeal most to me, are natural. I see women every day, in every day life, working normal jobs, with un-enhanced bodies, that are so beautiful... I think Hollywood (as a mentality and a society all its own) puts unfair pressure on women... and usually, it's unneeded.

Erika Eleniak, another gorgeous woman, felt she needed bigger boobs to get her part on Baywatch. Sad. Same show, Nicole Eggert, also gorgeous as she was, did the same thing. Sad, sad, sad.

paranormal • erotic • romance
www.forlorn-hope.net
Lurker
I'm all natural, supplements only. I've not been around cosmetic surgery, but I have been around a lot of steroids and refuse to use it, even with studies that prove that if used properly, steroids are not nearly as harmful as first thought. I still choose to be all natural, its a matter of pride. Cosmetic surgery seems to be cheating to me, you didn't work for it other than the dollars you spent to put into it.

I heard a journalist (I think he was a journalist) put it nicely once, "Pamela Anderson is a beautiful imitation of a woman."
Constant Gardener
Quote by freefallin1309
Cosmetic surgery seems to be cheating to me, you didn't work for it other than the dollars you spent to put into it.

What is Lasik if not enhancement surgery for people who wear glasses or contact lenses, often times with astigmatism so bad it prevents them from playing catch with their children.

What is cosmetic dental surgery, if not enhancement for people who were born with barely functional adult teeth?

There is a whole gamut of surgical procedures which have been developed, to aid humanity. Not everyone was born with all natural blessings of working gear.

I've had the dental surgery, if I can get over my fear of blinding myself, I'll allow Lasik to be performed too.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Alpha Blonde
Quote by WellMadeMale
Quote by freefallin1309
Cosmetic surgery seems to be cheating to me, you didn't work for it other than the dollars you spent to put into it.

What is Lasik if not enhancement surgery for people who wear glasses or contact lenses, often times with astigmatism so bad it prevents them from playing catch with their children.

What is cosmetic dental surgery, if not enhancement for people who were born with barely functional adult teeth?

There is a whole gamut of surgical procedures which have been developed, to aid humanity. Not everyone was born with all natural blessings of working gear.

I've had the dental surgery, if I can get over my fear of blinding myself, I'll allow Lasik to be performed too.

I agree. I can see the argument for steroids or liposuction being something that you can work for on your own to achieve results. But there are many things that cannot be achieved naturally. And if we work to make the dollars to pay for it, then I think we should have the freedom to spend the money as we choose to. People spend money on fancy cars and upgrading their homes, so I don't really see the difference if someone wants to make an improvement to the body/face/teeth they have to live their lives with. Women already colour their hair to create a different image than what they were born with. This is just another extension of that (albeit obviously much more invasive).

Having said that, I'm not a huge proponent of unnecessary plastic surgery. It's true that everyone starts looking like the same imitation of a single standard of beauty. I have a few friends that have gotten into the surgeries, and they are barely thirty and are already starting to look plastic. It's definitely not a good thing. I think moderation is key.
Lurker
I'm definitely in favor of cosmetic surgery to enhance people who've been born with problems that make nonfunctional and vital parts of themselves functional. I'm just opposed to people that don't need it, but are only doing it for vain purposes such as an ass lift, breast implants (for those not needing it for mastectomy reasons), face lifts, botox etc.

The ONLY time I personally find it okay, IMO, for vanity purposes I mentioned, are if your job depended on it such as models et al. And then only to a point, at some point you begin to look awful.

And I was unaware that Lasik was cosmetic, I thought it more of a functionality surgery.
Active Ink Slinger
Look up the average income difference between short men and tall men, fat men and slim men. It would be more than enough to motivate me.

It certainly is in China. People are going through radical, painful, procedures to become taller. I recently saw show about it, can't remember what it was called. But I found it terribly sad that anyone would go to such extremes for a few inches.
Alpha Blonde
I still think it's about the freedom of choice.

If gaining a few inches or fixing a large nose or getting an eye-lift will help someone in their career and to become more successful, shouldn't they have the freedom to invest in themselves?

Journalists, CEOs and top line sales executives, as well as those people in the public eye do tend to have more career success if they look a certain way.

Even for something as simple as an eye-lift giving a middle-aged person the impression of looking "more awake", it's likely to translate to more positive interactions in both the business realm as well as socially.
Lurker
I still think it's about the freedom of choice.
If gaining a few inches or fixing a large nose or getting an eye-lift will help someone in their career and to become more successful, shouldn't they have the freedom to invest in themselves

They already do. As long as you have the money you can get whatever you want in that department.
Lurker
I would work on my body, but never undergo sugery. Just some workout, jogging at the beach, some diet, but that's all.

You know, I got a friend, she is from Ecuador. She's got Latina looks, a misture between Jennifer Lopez and Hellena Christensen. She was SUPER hot.

But she just thought her nose was too "ethnic", and she wanted a more European looking one. Now she has this pointy thing...she just looks like Michael Jackson.
Lurker
I always wanted a dainty girly nose...I'd look enviously at other girls with pretty snub noses in my teens...but I turned 26 and I just grew into my own skin...I love my nose now...I think people always exaggerate how bad they think their physical flaws are. I'm just glad I don't work in an undustry where it's all about physical image.In IT it's all about drive,ambition and intelligence)..it must be exhausting trying to keep up with other people i.e. surgery,excessive exercising and eating very little all the time to keep in the best condition...

and I so want Lasik
Constant Gardener
I am so glad I'm not more like Tabitha Stevens, into the whole anal bleaching trend...I believe she was promoting for a few years. That would have to be close to the epitome of.........

Fwhack

would it not?
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
as per Wiki ,hydroquinone is a suspected carcinogen which they use in anal bleaching...yuck...bleached anus vs cancer