last reply
54 replies
4.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
The tobacco smoked by the Native-Americans* had not undergone decades of scientific cross breeding to make the nicotine more addictive.

Smoking looks sexy in the movies, but in real life there's all that nasty cigarette smoke, as well as lung cancer and emphysema. Don't forget the second hand smoke killing people who don't deserve it.

I will smoke a cigar occasionally, but am very careful who i smoke around. If it bothers them I will not do it. Plus, I don't inhale cigars, just taste them.

I'll not mention smoking any other items. hmmmmm.....

I am part Cherokee.

Cigars can cause lip , mouth, and throat cancer even if you dont inhale. Lot more tabacco in cigars in than cigarettes especially if you prefer the big fat ones.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Everything about smoking disgusts me, from the evil industry behind it to the rancid smell and illness left in its wake.

However, I can see how it could be perceived as seductive in certain circumstances, with the swirling and what not. Its association with a post-sex come down is no doubt a big part of that.

As far as I'm concerned, its only value is as a literary device to depict the weakness of a character; their need to use it as a crutch. I actually did in my latest story. I think it was also done quite effectively in the song, Cigarettes, by Aussie hip hop artist, Illy.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
THe only thing I smoke is a penis
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I don't think it is sexy, at least not most of the time. That being said, I smoke and I dislike myself for it. But with a spouse and an entire family that smokes it is really hard to quit.
Common Sense Iconoclast
0 likes
I can't stand smoking tobacco. I tried it as a kid, and never liked it.

My parents were addicted. When my Dad tried to stop, I had a really useful lesson in withdrawal symptoms at the age of 12, and that probably kept me from smoking. He failed, and during the withdrawal attempt, he was grumpy as all hell. Eventually, it killed him.

My mother also suffered from its effects, and she is also gone. Both lost before they reached their mid 70's.

I am taking care of my aunt now, and she still smokes. One pack here in Canada sets you back $10, but she is addicted, so I have to go out and buy her a carton on rare occasions. Basically 50 cents per smoke. I hate it, but I know she is addicted, and can't reasonably be asked or expected to stop. At least she has made it to 84 so far, but her health is not that great. and, every time I visit her, I come home smelling of smoke.

I hate smoking! I hate the lies that the tobacco industry perpetuated. Now, all the tobacco harm-deniers are today's climate change deniers. I detest the lot of them!
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain (or Lincoln, or Confucius, or...)
Prolific Writer
0 likes
It will be 11 years this April that I gave up smoking.

It was very hard giving it up and I failed many times. Once my father died I gave it up for good. I didn't want him looking down at me and seeing me still smoking.

I certainly don't miss the expense nor the smell.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xoxo
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
It will be 11 years this April that I gave up smoking.

It was very hard giving it up and I failed many times. Once my father died I gave it up for good. I didn't want him looking down at me and seeing me still smoking.

I certainly don't miss the expense nor the smell.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xoxo

Congratulations and well done. I too haven't smoked for over 12 years and can honestly say it's something I don't miss. It is hard to give up, and you will only stop when you truly want to stop. New Years eve is never a good time to stop though !!
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by I_am_me

Congratulations and well done. I too haven't smoked for over 12 years and can honestly say it's something I don't miss. It is hard to give up, and you will only stop when you truly want to stop. New Years eve is never a good time to stop though !!

Thank you so much. Congratulations to you too....Hugs, Mysteria....xoox
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Ajax
Cigars can cause lip , mouth, and throat cancer even if you dont inhale. Lot more tabacco in cigars in than cigarettes especially if you prefer the big fat ones.

One can definitely get cancer from smoking cigars. Also chewing tobacco and snuff can be bad to cause lip or mouth cancer. And let's not forget second hand smoke.

But then again how about all the additives in food, steroids in meat, insecticides on vegetables. And who knows what will be discovered about genetically altered foods in the future. We do know that cigarettes contain tobacco that was genetically changed to make it more addictive in order to enhance the profits of the tobacco companies.

Did y'all know that much more damage has been done to the Gulf of Mexico by the insecticide and fertilizer run off coming down the Mississippi River than happened from the BP oil spill. That is all thanks to the massive corn belt and wheat growing in the midwest, which is protected by some of the most powerful lobbyist groups in Washington, D.C.

With cigarettes & tobacco you have a cancer causing product that also takes massive amounts of fertilizer and insecticides to produce. That run off is draining into the Atlantic Ocean.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Melissa999

Every Cigarette, I smoke is my last one, maybe one day that will be so

It really should be...every one distils millions of nasty carcinogens into you. Believe me lung cancer is a truly horrible disease, but far more smokers die from heart disease and chronic lung damage, a painful breathless exit.

As you are obviously both young and beautiful you should be aware of the accelerated ageing effects of cigarette smoke. In your forties you may come to look as though you are about to draw a pension. Smoker's face is a well recognised clinical entity.

Seriously... do stop it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I started smoking in 1973, in high school. The big thing, look cool, be a man. I started with those little cigars, Dutch Master they were .26 cents a pack. Next I jumped on the cigarette wagon smoking Marlboro for a few years, then Winston, and finally Camel. Notice they got stronger. I at the end at the age of 24, was smoking 4 packs per day. I remember the day I quit. I sat on the edge of the bed coughing my fool head off, reached for a cigarette and lit it while I was coughing. I couldn't believe it. So I went to work and around 11:00AM, I threw the smokes on the dash of my truck.
Cold Turkey. I had a little trouble that night but the next morning I knew it was beat. I've never smoked again. Against the odds, non smokers then we're like smokers now. No help in restaurants anywhere. My wife, dad, boss, everybody smoked. But I quit.
Well that's just my opinion, sorry if you don't like.

BigDaddyRich
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

One can definitely get cancer from smoking cigars. Also chewing tobacco and snuff can be bad to cause lip or mouth cancer. And let's not forget second hand smoke.

But then again how about all the additives in food, steroids in meat, insecticides on vegetables. And who knows what will be discovered about genetically altered foods in the future. We do know that cigarettes contain tobacco that was genetically changed to make it more addictive in order to enhance the profits of the tobacco companies.

Did y'all know that much more damage has been done to the Gulf of Mexico by the insecticide and fertilizer run off coming down the Mississippi River than happened from the BP oil spill. That is all thanks to the massive corn belt and wheat growing in the midwest, which is protected by some of the most powerful lobbyist groups in Washington, D.C.

With cigarettes & tobacco you have a cancer causing product that also takes massive amounts of fertilizer and insecticides to produce. That run off is draining into the Atlantic Ocean.

What is missing in the above, is the scale of risk involved. Cigarettes and Tobacco products WILL shorten your life. That is a certainty. Avoiding them will reduce your chances of dying prematurely. There are many things in life that present risks but this one is directly controllable for everyone.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I never smoked cigarettes, but I use to enjoy a small cherry flavoured cigar, odd for a woman, but I've always been odd. Quit even those maybe 4 years ago. Miss the flavour and nicotine sometimes.
Anyone know anything about those vapor things?
Oh, I still smoke some legal pot, have a valid reason and prescription. But I can't hold it, so one of my nurses holds it for me.

non tobacco smoke kisses, amy
kisses, amy
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Yep. what you mentioned about food products is alarming to say the least. But factor in smoking , 1+1 = 2 . By smoking, chewing, your kinda compounding the cancer risks.

As you said you don't smoke frequenly. Havin a cigar every now and then isn't a big concern for you. I think it's when People lose track and smoking becomes more and more frequent for them.
a lot of the time they don't realized they're smokin more and more untill they become hooked. Then the struggles begin.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Guest
Although i dislike smoking for it`s health risks and the smell ~ lingering after effects, having to stand on the bus next to someone who smells of an ashtray. . . . i`m straying from my main point. For some reason watching someone take a drag of their cigarette, the motion of their wrist, the way they hold it between their fingers, and the movement of their chest as they inhale and then exhale a plume of smoke that slowly escapes from between their lips is slightly erotic in nature. Perhaps i`m alone in this but i`ve always found it to be an enchanting sight. Just wondering if others felt the same way.

You're alone..lmfao!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I took up smoking in the middle 1930s, picking up butts off the Minneapolis streets. Until about 5years ago when I couldn't breath, I smoked continuously just about anything that would burn. So almost equally addicted to breathing, I quit.
For a couple weeks.
I had too much on my plate at the time, building my new house, etc, all that goes into it, so smoked on.
Until 3 years ago when again couldn't breath, I quit for good.
Nothing's complete without a smoke, and if I knew the day I was going, I'd start back in.
Breathing be damned.
0 likes
Johnny cash could be licking those safety lollipops they used to give out at banks..and make THAT look cool!

I smoked clove cigarettes in college because I thought they were cool...

Then I almost passed out from whatever the crap those jakarta things had in them..and stopped..

Eight years ago my mom got brain cancer which started in her lungs

You will die..it will be horrible..but you have that right...

I get it..sucking on it and blowing the smoke was in a way erotic..

But cool..nope..dirty stained teeth..wrinkles and the smell...

Cool is listening to johnny cash...having a perfect glass of wine a simple yet perfect meal and being with people who make you laugh
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As an ex smoker I find it impossible to moralize about this addiction and make no mistake it is an addiction and harder to give up than heroin. I once had perscription drugs for a frozen shoulder and after the treatment realized I was suffering the symptoms of heroin or opiate withdrawal this took 2 weeks to overcome - compared to years before I managed to stop smoking. It is not a case of what looks 'cool' forget that crap it is to do with a need and this has to be overcome.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you truly want to quit, make a commitment to someone that you love and announce that you're quitting to everyone you know. Then do it.

After having tried to quit privately countless times previously, I quit for my daughter's 15th birthday 8 years ago, plus announced it to all family and friends. I've never looked back.
"Being male is a matter of birth.
Being a man is a matter of age.
Being a gentleman is a matter of choice."
Lurker
0 likes
I wouldn't say smoking is a turn on...but a hot guy is still going to be attractive to me regardless of whether he's puffing away at something. Being a smoker I'd rather he was.

I'm a 20+ a day kind of girl, the odd cigar on special occasions and some other funky things as and when the mood takes me. I enjoy it. True, I'm addicted but at the moment I don't really give a shit.

Smoking doesn't automatically mean you'll get cancer. There's old farts in my village with a rolly still hanging from their chops even in their late nineties.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a terminally stupid thing to do
Lurker
0 likes
I don't like smoking I never have smoked.
The smell of it is gross
It is expensive
And very bad for you health and everybody around you
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Smoking kills people! If it doesn't kill you, it leaves you with incurable problems that finally kill you, I'm so happy my wife finally quit smoking but I am afraid it is too late, I've been quit over 23 years and now have serious health problems because of it. Don't smoke and don't get tattoos.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I smoked for 20 years. I still miss it. I quit because I moved to Colorado and wanted to hike and climb and camp.

Quitting was much easier than I expected, though. Perhaps because I expected it to be nearly impossible.
Lurker
0 likes
I've never smoked. It's a total turnoff for me. I don't care to smell like a cigarette nor do I care to take on other's second hand smoke if I can help it. I was so happy when my company became a smoke-free facility. Just not healthy for you besides.