Age and Pregnancy ...

last reply
27 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I was surfing the net this afternoon, checking out various normal sites ... one being CNN.

They report that Kelly Preston (47) and hubby John Travolta are expecting a baby.

I thought, whoa ... 47!! That's older than me!!

So, as my son walks thru to get something to drink, I asked him what he'd think if I got pregnant and had a baby early next year .... he stopped - stunned! "are you?" ... I say, no! but what do you think?

"First of all, you are nuts if you do and secondly, I'll be moving out!" he says.

Is that any way to get him out of the house?!! LOL

kidding ... but thought it was funny!

So, how old is too old to have a baby for a woman ... and for a man?? (I bet the ages will be quite different by gender!)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/05/18/john.travolta.baby/index.html?hpt=Sbin
Lurker
0 likes
As long as they're both healthy, I would think they could up until they were in their 50s. People live into their 80s and 90s now so they could still see the kid reach 18 and be off to college.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
It helps to have a couple hundred million in the bank.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
I think they are trying to fill the void that was created when John Travoltas son died.
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Lurker
0 likes
first of all....Kelly preston is 47? Damn. Still looks pretty good to me.

This question depends on whether or not you're referring to social or physiological factors. Women can have babies up until menopause, but the risk of complications and birth defects increases with the age of the mother.

If you're talking about social factors...well it depends on the situation. A celebrity couple can probably have kids up until a later age, but the situation is very different if the parents are low-working class. I know a girl that was born (by accident) late in her parents' age. When she was still in highschool, and her siblings were all grown and living their own lives, she was living with two elderly parents on social security. It made things kind of hard for her, especially after her parents died. Having parents dying when you're an independent adult is very different than having your parents dying when you're still living with them.

People in general are having children later in life nowadays, mainly due to women placing greater importance on careers. 47 is kind of pushing it, but I'm sure that child will be properly cared for.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie
I think they are trying to fill the void that was created when John Travoltas son died.

I do too. I don't think that should ever be a reason to have another child though; at any age.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

People in general are having children later in life nowadays, mainly due to women placing greater importance on careers. 47 is kind of pushing it, but I'm sure that child will be properly cared for.

Sure the kid will be properly cared for....but by who? I mean it's a sad fact that people can die young. Both of my parents did not live past 50. I don't know what statistics show but if you figure when that child graduates high school his parents will be pushing 70.
Lurker
0 likes
i think i agree with DamonX too. that child will lose their parents at a very young age. regardless of money, its almost kind of irresponsible..but its just my opinion..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pixie

That was my first thought too. *very sad*

paranormal • erotic • romance
www.forlorn-hope.net
Lurker
0 likes
People should definatly not have kids once in there late 40's. First its kinda wierd and Second it but the baby at high risk for certian diseases and mental problems. 20's and 30's is when people should be having kids and rasing a family
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Most couples that have kids in their mid-late 40's are celebs or wealthy enough to ensure it can be as safe a pregnancy as possible.

If someone is healthy, is aware of the risks involved, and can afford to raise the child, then why not?

Besides, these days women can freeze their eggs and use them later in life... so even though the woman might be older (in body), the egg might still be fresh (or as fresh as it can be after thawing.. LOL).

Kelly Preston might even have used a donor egg. We don't know, so we shouldn't pass judgment.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HunterNoel
People should definatly not have kids once in there late 40's. First its kinda wierd and Second it but the baby at high risk for certian diseases and mental problems. 20's and 30's is when people should be having kids and rasing a family

I like to see the web sites or research pages you got these stats from.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
you're mean chef...
Lurker
0 likes
And you like it like that. Uh huh, uh huh. There's a song in there somewhere.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by HunterNoel

The rate of complications does increase with the age of the mother. The rate of Down syndrome in particular. I actually thought it was pretty common knowledge these days. Sorry though...I don't have a citation for you. For a quick reference though you can check emedicine.com.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by HunterNoel

MarchofDimes.com

Small blurb from Johns Hopkins -- concerning the older fathers birth defect contributions.

Most current evidence points to healthier offspring being conceived if both parents are under the age of 35, Chef.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by HunterNoel

The rate of complications does increase with the age of the mother. The rate of Down syndrome in particular. I actually thought it was pretty common knowledge these days. Sorry though...I don't have a citation for you. For a quick reference though you can check emedicine.com.

True, but the majority of children born with Down's Syndrome are born to young mothers, because that is the age group that is bearing the most children.

In most cases, since a woman over a certain age is at higher risk for bearing a child with genetic anomalies such as Down's, she is likely to have an amniocentesis performed in order to find out if the foetus has any problems, and make certain very difficult decisions early on. A young woman in prime child bearing years isn't as likely to have that test done unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Older women who are bearing children in countries that have adequate to excellent medical care and health care programs are often very healthy and have frequent medical check-ups that are meant to discover and deal with problems early on. An older woman who has decided to bear children in her forties because her career choices have come first is also more likely to be conscious about health issues, and she is more likely to take care of herself and her health. She's also more likely to have the means to do so

The health of the mother during pregnancy is important to neo-natal development at any age. Yes, there are risks and drawbacks to a woman having a child later on in life, and honestly, I'm not a proponent of it, but the statement made by HunterNoel that it's 'kinda weird' is off base to me. No, it's not weird. Why is it weird? It happens and has happened for centuries, believe it or not. Both my parents were born to mothers who were in their late forties, and it seems to me that my paternal grandmother may have been fifty.
Lurker
0 likes
I was just about to wrote down theory of evolution (copy-paste of course) by scientist and proponet Charles Darwin when I read links that WellMadeMan provided ..
I definitely agree with all of you who are against late pregnancy, heck I am against that all people can have children, there should be testing for parenthood. And yes I know that is just 'wishfull' thinking because of all civil liberties, human rights...

I seriously believe that our DNA is changing as we become older, by that I mean, the older we get more exposed we are to viruses , bacteriums, antibiotics...and everything else we consume into body. All together effect our system. Everything we get in touch with changes our body system (of course in small amounts) as every choice we make changes our path of living..

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Let's prove 'em wrong chef.. let's you and me make a baby...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BigRod

I'm allergic to them.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by BigRod

I'm allergic to them.

When you see those sarcastic comments: "Some people shouldn't breed"

It is me they were/are speaking or thinking of.

A man's gotta know his limitations.
Lurker
0 likes
I wish they all did.
A lot of people breed like rabbits just because. Either because the church says to or the gummit will pay for it or cause they're friends are all doing it or because mom wants to be a granny and on and on.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by DamonX
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by HunterNoel

True, but the majority of children born with Down's Syndrome are born to young mothers, because that is the age group that is bearing the most children.

In most cases, since a woman over a certain age is at higher risk for bearing a child with genetic anomalies such as Down's, she is likely to have an amniocentesis performed in order to find out if the foetus has any problems, and make certain very difficult decisions early on. A young woman in prime child bearing years isn't as likely to have that test done unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Older women who are bearing children in countries that have adequate to excellent medical care and health care programs are often very healthy and have frequent medical check-ups that are meant to discover and deal with problems early on. An older woman who has decided to bear children in her forties because her career choices have come first is also more likely to be conscious about health issues, and she is more likely to take care of herself and her health. She's also more likely to have the means to do so

The health of the mother during pregnancy is important to neo-natal development at any age. Yes, there are risks and drawbacks to a woman having a child later on in life, and honestly, I'm not a proponent of it, but the statement made by HunterNoel that it's 'kinda weird' is off base to me. No, it's not weird. Why is it weird? It happens and has happened for centuries, believe it or not. Both my parents were born to mothers who were in their late forties, and it seems to me that my paternal grandmother may have been fifty.

Well put.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

This question depends on whether or not you're referring to social or physiological factors. Women can have babies up until menopause, but the risk of complications and birth defects increases with the age of the mother.

A man's sperm also becomes more defective with age my friend.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by BigRod

I'm allergic to them.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
I wish they all did.
A lot of people breed like rabbits just because. Either because the church says to or the gummit will pay for it or cause they're friends are all doing it or because mom wants to be a granny and on and on.

entirely agree. I cannot stand irresponsible people.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by She
Quote by chefkathleen
I wish they all did.

entirely agree. I cannot stand irresponsible people.

Then you don't want to come to the US. They're everywhere. LOL
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
I wish they all did.

There are a lot of people having kids because the government pays them. In Australia, we're given $5000 every time we have a child (it's paid in fortnightly installments now, because people were apparently using the money to buy plasma TVs and such).

Just recently I saw a family of three walking around our local shopping centre. The father was swearing at the mother, nice and loud so everyone could hear him. The mother was struggling with a toddler on her hip and a couple of shopping bags in her other hand. The father was pushing his carton of beer in the stroller.

Some people shouldn't reproduce. Maybe the government could pay them NOT to have children.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sexyho51
Quote by DamonX

A man's sperm also becomes more defective with age my friend.

Yes. Sperm count and motility both decrease with age. These factors decrease the chance of impregnation but I'm not aware of any neonatal medical conditions that are caused by old sperm.