Login

Sausage Sizzle

last reply
7 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Devil's Advocate
As my wife and I set about on our Saturday errands this morning, we pulled into our local Bunnings on the way to partake in the greatest of Australian traditions, the sausage sizzle. While scoffing them down in our car, we wondered if the sausage sizzle was something enjoyed in the United Kingdom and North America, or just something unique to Australia.

It's a simple barbecue, where a plain beef sausage is placed diagonally on a single piece of white bread, and the free corners are pulled up to wrap around the sausage. It usually comes with barbecued onions and tomato sauce, or maybe a bit of mustard if you're going to be fancy. It's quick, simple and delicious.

They have them every weekend in the carpark of the hardware chain, usually run by a local charity as a fund-raiser. Harvey Norman does it too. Occasionally it's offered to entice people down to a car dealership or display village. And it's also at the heart of our democracy, with a sausage sizzle present at every polling station on election day - I think it might even be in our Constitution.

Anyway, do you guys have sausage sizzles in your neck of the woods? And if not, what's your national meat-in-carb delicacy to lure people to homewares stores and community events?
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
English Rose
Having a van in the car park of DIY stores and suchlike is a very common occurrence in the UK. They usually sell bacon, sausage, burger or fried egg rolls or sandwiches (or combinations of all). Generally I think they would be collectively titled, "The Burger Van". Fried onions are an option and they also have all manner of sauces/mustards etc in big squeezy bottles for you to up end and splurge all over your food. They're often found in lay byes on the side of major roads too. I've never seen one at a Polling Station on election days though.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Lurker
...where a plain beef sausage...
Never heard of using beef & sausage in the same sentence. Usually it is pork or wild game (deer/duck/boar).

They do have something called a hot dog, if kosher it is beef.
Cryptic Vigilante
It's the first time I ever hear of this...

It just seems like a cheaper, less reliable version of a hotdog. I mean, slices of white bread are usually much thinner than hotdog buns, and I could see the condiments leaking from everywhere, especially if the bread is heated. Why not just eat a hotdog?
Lurker
Never seen or heard of this in Canada. Usually around here the stores, car dealerships, etc. focus on either plain hotdogs and burgers, or upscale Smokies - sausage on a better bun. Never seen them on a piece of bread before! Some of the better places are getting into pulled bar-b-que pork in a bun.

Weaver of Words
most of the time, if the Hardware stores or car dealerships are trying to draw in customers, they will serve hot dogs, because they can get them pretty cheap, they can be cooked on a grill or simply steamed in water. throw them on a bun, have a few condiments to add and you are good to go.
Advanced Wordsmith
In the USA sausages from vending trucks are fairly rare, they tend to just serve hotdogs (In a sense a form of sausage, however, I think a sausage actually has to have meat in it. The contents of a hotdog are best left to the imagination) in a bun. That is the staple food at sporting events, amusement parks, and hotdog eating competitions ...
Never seen it. In my part of Canada, we usually put our sausages in large buns similar to hot dog buns (or even large hot dog buns). I may try putting them on bread next bbq season, though. We often barbeque sausages at home as a quick dinner during the week.