NASA’s Perseverance.

last reply
23 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This high-resolution still image is part of a video taken by several cameras as NASA’s Perseverance rover touched down on Mars on Feb. 18, 2021. A camera aboard the descent stage captured this shot.

For more Info check out https://www.nasa.gov/perseverance
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What’s Next for Perseverance Mars Rover? Sol 1 Press Conference
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
NASA’s Perseverance Rover Land on Mars! | Replay.
0 likes

I was following the landing as best I could given that I was supposed to be in HR training at the time. (pssst, don't tell HR).

NASA nailed that one beautifully. And they are already powering up the Ingenuity helicopter drone. Soon, we'll have the first flight by an aircraft on another planet.

Animation demonstrating Ingenuity launching:

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There are very few things that cum before having Fun on Lush.... watching NASA’s Perseverance live stream was one of them..

Can't wait for the EDL Video with sound, to be downlinked!.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Perseverance's First Full-Color Look at Mars .

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Did the color picture come via the high gain antenna?
Any audio yet?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
HiRISE Captured Perseverance During Descent to Mars.
And for the non-geeks, thats' one space craft in orbit around Mars, capturing a pic of another spacecraft in the act of landing on the Red Planet!.
The square, blow-up shows the Mars2020 capsule under the parachute. The little white circle was were Perseverance (the rover) ended up.

The descent stage holding NASA’s Perseverance rover can be seen falling through the Martian atmosphere, its parachute trailing behind, in this image taken on Feb. 18, 2021, by the High Resolution Imaging Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The ancient river delta, which is the target of the Perseverance mission, can be seen entering Jezero Crater from the left.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LoverBoy20
Did the color picture come via the high gain antenna? Any audio yet?

No, at the time they were using the UHF Omhi antenna, and had to wait for an over flight of one of the other Mars orbiters to relay the picture.
AFAIK They have started to blow the explosive bolts and get ready to deploy the High gain antenna (which was bolted down during EDL).
EDL = Entry, Decent and landing Phase.

They explect to have downloadecd the first thumbnail videos (possibly with audio) over the weekend, an release them to the public on Monday with any luck! smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This high-resolution image shows one of the six wheels aboard NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover, which landed on Feb. 18, 2021. The image was taken by one of Perseverance’s color Hazard Cameras (Hazcams).

Note: The rocks look like they have lots of holes in them which is getting the scientsts very excited.
This image is a piece of a much larger image showing one of the rover's wheels with some rocks around it. These rocks are interesting; note that they have lots of holes in them. They may be basaltic — that is, volcanic ... but they might be eroded sedimentary rocks.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
See Mars Like Never Before! as NASA's Perseverance Rover Sends New Video and Images of the Red Planet.
Youtube Live stream Scheduled for 22 Feb 2021.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
NASA's Mars Perseverance rover acquired this image of the area in front of it using its onboard Front Right Hazard Avoidance Camera A.

This image was acquired on Feb. 19, 2021 (Sol 0) at the local mean solar time of 17:21:29

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
NASA's Mars Perseverance rover acquired this image of the area in back of it using its onboard Rear Right Hazard Avoidance Camera.

This image was acquired on Feb. 21, 2021 (Sol 2) at the local mean solar time of 15:37:01.

As of 10:46 Hrs 22nd Feb 2021 (UTC) there were 145 Raw Images uploaded to https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/
Mary Poppins
0 likes
I do hope they find life.
Be nice to each other

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by verity100
I do hope they find life.

You never know Verity they just might!....

I still remember watching 2001 in the cinema all those years ago..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Latest NASA JPL update is due in a few minutes...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Actual EDL Video.... This is NOT a simulation!!.. biggrin

Mary Poppins
0 likes
Quote by spunkymonkey707

You never know Verity they just might!....

I still remember watching 2001 in the cinema all those years ago..

I love that film. The best sci-fi film ever made in my opinion. Add one letter to IBM and you get HAL, brilliant.

It would be good if they found life. It would certainly shake things up a bit. Especially in it contained recognisable DNA
Be nice to each other

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Images from the Perseverance Mars Rover Feb. 22, 2021 Press Briefing.

Navcam View of Perseverance’s Rover Deck.
The Navigation Cameras, or Navcams, aboard NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover captured this view of the rover’s deck on Feb. 20, 2021.

Perseverance Navcams 360-Degree Panorama
Panorama, taken on Feb. 20, 2021, by the Navigation Cameras, or Navcams, aboard NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover.

Mastcam-Z Looks at Its Calibration Target
Mastcam-Z, a pair of zoomable cameras aboard NASA’s Perseverance rover.

Perseverance and Mars 2020 Spacecraft Components on the Surface
This first image of NASA’s Perseverance Rover on the surface of Mars from the High Resolution Imaging Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) shows the many parts of the Mars 2020 mission landing system that got the rover safely on the ground.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
NASA's Perseverance Rover Microphone Captures Sounds from Mars February 22, 2021
A microphone attached to the rover did not collect usable data during the descent, but the commercial off-the-shelf device survived the highly dynamic descent to the surface and obtained sounds from Jezero Crater on Feb. 20. About 10 seconds into the 60-second recording, a Martian breeze is audible for a few seconds, as are mechanical sounds of the rover operating on the surface.

NASA's Perseverance Rover Microphone Captures Sounds from Mars February 22, 2021

This set of sounds from the surface of Mars were recorded by the microphone on the side of NASA’s Perseverance Rover on February 20, 2021.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/audio/
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
NASA's Ingenuity helicopter can be seen here with all four of its legs deployed before dropping from the belly of the Perseverance rover on March 30, 2021, the 39th Martian day, or sol, of the mission. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech