Login

Voting record

last reply
10 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Would it be possible to show the avg vote given by a member? This would be even better if it could be broken down by genre.
0 likes
The question for me would be "Why?" What is the value of knowing how someone has tended to vote?
The Linebacker
0 likes
I would strongly oppose that and in fact not accept it. That should be private. Many people wouldn't put up with it and leave. The only cases where someone's voting record should be made public is if they are an elected politician and their votes on laws should be available to their constituents. Other than that doing such thing is an invasion of privacy. I am very sure that such an intrusive, counterproductive thing would not even be considered here on Lush.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by Buz
I would strongly oppose that and in fact not accept it. That should be private. Many people wouldn't put up with it and leave. The only cases where someone's voting record should be made public is if they are an elected politician and their votes on laws should be available to their constituents. Other than that doing such thing is an invasion of privacy. I am very sure that such an intrusive, counterproductive thing would not even be considered here on Lush.

I agree with Buz. I don't feel the need to justify any votes I've made or what my average scores that I've given are. My votes are mine. If a writer asks me for feedback I will give it. Any criticism on a story I might give, I give privately. Many others do the same.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Firstly Buz you're vote is not private. It's quite easy for an author to work out how you voted.

The question arose because I noticed someone had voted on my story and gave it a 1. All the other votes were 4 or 5. I thought ok, they didn't like the story. I checked their profile and looked at other stories they'd voted on. Practically every other story they voted on had a rouge outlier score of 1, presumably also from the same person.

There are a number of explanations 1) they are extremely demanding. 2) they are very poor at choosing which story to read 3) they are deliberately choosing to read and vote on stories they won't like 4) they are mendaciously voting low for some reason

I have also read many comments on stories in a particular genre from one member that are almost always negative. I question why he continues to read from this genre because he clearly doesn't like this kind of story and has some axe to grind.

From another point of view it would contextualise the voting if someone always gives 5's. A bit like at school where everyone gets a prize.

I have also posted it in the thread suggested.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Little_wanker
Firstly Buz you're vote is not private. It's quite easy for an author to work out how you voted.

The question arose because I noticed someone had voted on my story and gave it a 1. All the other votes were 4 or 5. I thought ok, they didn't like the story. I checked their profile and looked at other stories they'd voted on. Practically every other story they voted on had a rouge outlier score of 1, presumably also from the same person.

There are a number of explanations 1) they are extremely demanding. 2) they are very poor at choosing which story to read 3) they are deliberately choosing to read and vote on stories they won't like 4) they are mendaciously voting low for some reason

I have also read many comments on stories in a particular genre from one member that are almost always negative. I question why he continues to read from this genre because he clearly doesn't like this kind of story and has some axe to grind.

From another point of view it would contextualise the voting if someone always gives 5's. A bit like at school where everyone gets a prize.

I have also posted it in the thread suggested.

If it's that easy to work out what score a person gave you then why do you need an average voting record?

Also, what difference is it going to make if you are able to see what a person usually scores??

Seems daft to me.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
It's easy to see how they voted individually but not overall. So if you get a low vote and that users avg is low then it adds context. As is aid, some users just vote low persistently for some reason or another.
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Your Lush votes aren't really private from the person you're voting on, though. I get an alert every time someone votes on a story and if I flip right over and know that story's record fairly well (unless it's a comp entry of course), I can pretty much guess what they voted (e.g. If it is all 5s and there's now a 4, they voted 4. If it is still all 5s, then they voted 5). Low scores are even easier to figure out because, to be frank, very few people give them. The only way to make Lush voting completely private would be to anonymize those alerts (e.g. it just says "Someone scored on your story" instead of "Buz scored on your story"). And even then, you can probably guess who voted if there's a comment posted around the same time.

That said, I still don't see the utility of publicly posting users' averages. To my eye, it just becomes a tool for triggering drama. Then again, I don't worry too much about scores. If I'm getting comments, I don't worry too much about the numbers.

And, as I've commented in the past, the scoring system is a bit pointless when most people use it as a Like system by putting a 5 on anything they like and just not scoring anything they don't. Might as well just have a "Like" button plus comments.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I agree with Buz. If someone wants to go through the hassle of figuering out my votes over the last seven years, be my guest. I would not want the site actively reporting it.