Volunteer Story Editors

last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Why not ask for non-moderator members to volunteer to edit stories for members that are having problems getting stories approved?

If there are official volunteers editing stories then this would help the mods and then the members that ask for help can rank the help the volunteers gave.

I believe that this would help alliviate the frustration on both sides.
Lurker
0 likes
Story mods aren't editors.

Their job is to make sure stories stick to Lush guidelines and aren't riddled with errors. If they have time they will make very minor edits but that's up to any given mod on any given day.

Anyone mod or not can be an editor. My friend edits my stories and she's not a mod.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Haineko, I said to ask for NON-moderator volunteers. I know the moderators are very busy and can't edit stories.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to know who is willing to edit stories and how good these editors are?

This would help the people having trouble getting stories approved for grammatical reasons. I often feel it is helpful to have another person read my stories to find errors that I have missed.

The stories would still need to go to the official story verifiers for acceptance after editing.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by CleverFox
Why not ask for non-moderator members to volunteer to edit stories for members that are having problems getting stories approved?

If there are official volunteers editing stories then this would help the mods and then the members that ask for help can rank the help the volunteers gave.

I believe that this would help alliviate the frustration on both sides.

We thought this would be a good idea too, a few years ago, and implemented it back then.

It didn't work out for these reasons.

Some authors were taking advantage of the volunteers: a) dumping lots of stories on them, b) treating them like a free editing service, c) making deadline demands etc.

A few authors submitted stories containing banned subjects - , underage characters etc, which was the nail in the coffin as far as this "service" went.

It's not going to be brought back.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you very much for your reply Nicola.
0 likes
I have nothing to contribute. This was very informative. Thank you for asking the question, CleverFox, and thank you Nicola for making your answer so straightforward.
Recommended Reads by TheScheherezadeFeint:
Undeniable - Erotic Poem
Disappearing Act - Love Poem
Synthetic Hours - Fantasy/Sci-fi - Eighth Place, 'Some Like It Hot' competition, January 2015
Night Work - Erotic Poem
Eating Breakfast In Glass Slippers - Straight Sex - Fifth Place, 'The Morning After The Night Before' competition, November 2014
Miracle of Night - Love Poem
The Brightest Black You've Ever Seen - Love Story - Ninth place, 'Toy With Me' competition, September 2014
Scream Fire - Erotic Poem - Audio read by MadameMolly
At First Sight (He) - Quickie Sex
Lurker
0 likes
People (writers) ask for editing help in General Forum all the time. "Editor Needed" is not an uncommon Forum thread. (I myself have one or two friends here who will if nicely asked look at/suggest corrections to some pieces before I finally submit them...)

The do's and dont's of this route are pretty obvious. Ask NICELY. Don't submit to a prospective editor a FIRST DRAFT, (that is a piece that you yourself have not ATTEMPTED to edit) for their input. Don't forward a piece that's LITTERED with punctuation errors, (the information to self-police these is widely available on-site.) Don't expect a total re-write. Do be prepared to work with an editor and, EVEN IF YOU DON'T AGREE with their take, BE GRATEFUL for their time. DO NOT presume that a volunteer editor is any more skilled or qualified than YOU are.

In my own case, my editors most commonly change all my BOLD words to italics, (a terrible habit I have which you'll have noticed), will ADVISE on tense shifts, will correct over-long para-length, and in one EXCRUCIATINGLY embarrassing instance, remind me that unless the guy has three arms, (a fact surely to be pointed out quite early in the story) he can't have one hand on her pussy, another on her breasts AND be stroking her hair at the same time.

xx Steph