Time to update the forum "replace words as you type" feature

last reply
28 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
Post words you'd like to never see misspelled again in the forum.

For example:

A.l.o.t = a lot
G.r.a.m.m.e.r = grammar

I have t.o.u.n.g.e in there already and a few others.

Lurker
0 likes
Can we cut out any text speak?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Can we cut out any text speak?

Damn can't cut all if it out lol then wouldn't be able to use LOL LMAO LMFAO WTF? but that's bout the limit of my text speak anyway lol
Lurker
0 likes
alright=all right
accept=except (a lot of times)
"all of the sudden"= all of a sudden
masterbation=masturbation
masturbayshun=masturbation
masterbetion=masturbation
masterbait=masturbate
masterbate=masturbate
OMG=no such word
ur=no such word
y=a letter of the English alphabet, no such word
ne=abbreviation for New England, no such word
...=ellipsis, not a comma
fk=not a word
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh=no such word
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"your" is often used when "you're" is meant
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Are we talking about the stories or the forum?

If we're talking about the forum and not the stories then...

I don't know about correcting text-speak. All across the web, on every forum, you'll find it commonplace. Long before it was called text-speak, it was called eSpeak. Emailing and forums were slow and sluggish (I remember when email could take up to a week just to deliver an email.) and dictionaries were very expensive books most people didn't have. anyway, the point is, eSpeak evolved by necessity, to communicate with less keystrokes.

Today, many of those excuses no longer apply, but it is rooted within the internet and its communities. So, my opinion is that it would be a shame to disallow eSpeak such as "lol", "OMG" and the like. The internet is not grammar school, the atmosphere is more relaxed. Casual. Fun. I'd be disappointed to find people feeling alienated from Lust because of their grammar (mine isn't so great either) <--- perfect example! *lol*

But commonly misspelled words could use help. Nicola's examples are two of my own pet peeves. Also mentioned by rocco is all right is not alright (I make this mistake myself. Sadly alright derives from a cultural anomaly. It used to be acceptable in English classes, so I grew up believing it was properly spelled.)

Dont = don't
wont = won't
cant = can't (most likely, cant is a word, but rarely used in conversation)

paranormal • erotic • romance
www.forlorn-hope.net
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BrindleChase
Are we talking about the stories or the forum?

If we're talking about the forum and not the stories then...

I don't know about correcting text-speak. All across the web, on every forum, you'll find it commonplace. Long before it was called text-speak, it was called eSpeak. Emailing and forums were slow and sluggish (I remember when email could take up to a week just to deliver an email.) and dictionaries were very expensive books most people didn't have. anyway, the point is, eSpeak evolved by necessity, to communicate with less keystrokes.

Today, many of those excuses no longer apply, but it is rooted within the internet and its communities. So, my opinion is that it would be a shame to disallow eSpeak such as "lol", "OMG" and the like. The internet is not grammar school, the atmosphere is more relaxed. Casual. Fun. I'd be disappointed to find people feeling alienated from Lust because of their grammar (mine isn't so great either) <--- perfect example! *lol*

But commonly misspelled words could use help. Nicola's examples are two of my own pet peeves. Also mentioned by rocco is all right is not alright (I make this mistake myself. Sadly alright derives from a cultural anomaly. It used to be acceptable in English classes, so I grew up believing it was properly spelled.)

Dont = don't
wont = won't
cant = can't (most likely, cant is a word, but rarely used in conversation)

Great points me I just can't stand when full sentences are written out in chat shorthand I mean some of it is rather annoying ya know? As said how much harder is it to write out your instead of ur or u for you I personally hate that and cringe at it. To me some of it is just being a bit lazy
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Post words you'd like to never see misspelled again in the forum.

For example:

Alot = a lot
Grammer = grammar

I have t.o.u.n.g.e in there already and a few others.

definately kewl
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm not talking about omg / lol etc, I mean incorrectly spelled words in the forums.

Your is a perfectly good word, I can't do a find / replace on the fly with valid words.

I will add those Brindle. Tyvm .

EDIT: added. Now your post looks funny
Matriarch
0 likes
Alright is ok, I sometimes use it. Probably an English thing.

usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but remains in common use especially in journalistic and business publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used occasionally in other writing <the first two years of medical school were alright — Gertrude Stein>
Lurker
0 likes
The Internet is not a cell phone, either.

I'm quite fine with reading text-speak on one, but not on a literary, story site. No way. No how.
Matriarch
0 likes
The trouble is Rocco, if you replace words like: ur, dat, dis and so forth, it will mess up perfectly valid words like: your, date, disjointed.
Lurker
0 likes
Oh I see what you mean.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
The trouble is Rocco, if you replace words like: ur, dat, dis and so forth, it will mess up perfectly valid words like: your, date, disjointed.

I think Gav would be able to write regular expressions that could find unique occurrences of strings like ur, dat, dis, etc and replace them with an equivalent English word. Only problem I can foresee is replacement may change the context of the work inadvertently.

This seems to be a discussion about a kind of Lush style book, that would be similar to what may organizations have, that is set grammatical, syntactical and spelling boundaries. I don't think it is a bad idea at all. It would add standardization to the brand.

I would like to make an academic point on text speak or whatever you want to call it. This opinion is independent of any style decisions made by Lush. I am not making a value judgment on text speak just presenting an observation.

Language evolves continuously in order to meet the day to day needs of a particular culture. Words are invented and words go out of use. Grammar, spelling, syntax all change overtime. Reading Shakespeare or original government texts from the time of Elizabeth I clearly demonstrates the evolution of English today. Going back further in time we find that many English texts are completely unintelligible to all but scholars.

That said, using text speak is the evolution of our language given our need to communicate in new media. It may or may not have a place within the boundaries of a Lush style book but it is a valid and vibrant method of written communication. Text speech most of the time lacks elegance and can be downright ugly. Nonetheless, like acronyms it has applications. I suggest that a really creative writer could do some interesting work with text speak.

Until the Internet real time conversations were done with our voices or things like the telegraph. We are now in a situation where real time conversations are done with text speak using words or acronyms that do not have spoken word equivalents. Text speak is language, it is fulfilling a need. Will it die on the vine or evolve into something that becomes formalized. Who knows really. In the digital age we have conversations without sounds other that the click of a keyboard.

All I am saying is that text speak is not trivial, it is used world wide by perhaps a billion people.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
If you pay me i can have that as a fulltme job, nic :P
Matriarch
0 likes
Are you sure you wish to replace catnip with mousenip?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
It's not really the spelling, but the usage of there, thier and they're
I'm always perving...
Lurker
0 likes
- 'thier', rather than 'their'.

- 'organism', a misspelling of 'orgasm'.
Matriarch
0 likes
What if someone wants to write about organisms in their story Gypsy? Perhaps in an insect story? lol.

"thier" could form part of the word "wealthier", so we can't add that to the list either. It matches the string, not taking into consideration other letters around it, so if it were added, the new word would be wealtheir.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Maybe a literary test has to be passed to join lush.

Perhaps prospective members will need to sing the alphabet song.

Sorry a little flippant and I make mistakes typing and I know my grammar could do with some work.

BUT in this day and age can people at least use a spell checker............PLEASE.....

That would save the proprietors of this fine establishment the hassle of having to search and replace spelling in peoples stories.
Rubber Ducky your the one, you make my life so much fun
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
What if someone wants to write about organisms in their story Gypsy? Perhaps in an insect story? lol.

"thier" could form part of the word "wealthier", so we can't add that to the list either. It matches the string, not taking into consideration other letters around it, so if it were added, the new word would be wealtheir.

So, the coercrt usage would be sumtin liek 'Wealtheir money would make me happier if thayd givit 2 me now'. Right? lol

LOL about organisms in insect stories. I knew one woman whose x-boyfriend insisted that she was 'multi-organic', and would not be convinced that she was 'multi-orgasmic'.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
No thanks Nicola, nip only end words with the letter t(nip) as last letter according to my Nipplish dictionary.
Here's an example:
Catnip satnip on a ratnip.
Then the ratnip transformed into a batnip.
The catnip on the batnip flew lostnip in sovietnip.
Lurker
0 likes
Here's one that drives me crazy. "anyways". I want to scream when someone uses that.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Perhaps we could hold online classes to help get ourselves all orientated and back off track, through the gantlet of myriad meridians or mediums or whatever.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Like anyone there are words that bug me when they are miss spelled, but I try not to bitch to much because I know that I spell stuff wrong all the time. I know I say this a lot but, sorry about any of my miss-spelled words.
The one 'text speak' that bugs me the most, as in I hate it with my being, is 'a/s/l'. It pisses me off to no end. If you want to know those things, then go look at my profile BEFORE you message me.
Lurker
0 likes
I was on another forum with Rocco that had spell check in the forums reply area at the bottom where it says, preview,post,cancel, it also had spell check. Would that help? Would it be hard to do for Gav?
Matriarch
0 likes
Too hard Chef, this forum software is a nightmare apparently. It doesn't realy matter all that munch anyway the od spelling misteak.

I had to remove dont and wont, some of the smiley's were linked to the misspelling and weren't showing as they were being replaced with the corrected words
Lurker
0 likes
The thing is most browsers have a spell check built in today just have to activate it.