PM "Mail" limitations...

last reply
13 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Occassionaly, I send out group mailings to all on my friends list. Since I have slightly over 200, I'm soon at my maximum. Now, I realize that they are each counted as an individual mail and it does take up lots of server time in the distribution. But, why can't a group mailing to all on your friends list count as one only?? You do, after all, have that little box on the PM's to send to all friends! Many times I want to send to individuals and found I can't until the next day.... It does get rather frustrating!!
Lurker
0 likes
I don't know what the answer is, all I know is that Lush is my dirty little secret too
Lurker
0 likes
All I know is that I wish Nicola would take away the ability to send a PM to all your friends, it feels like I'm getting SPAM.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Necho
All I know is that I wish Nicola would take away the ability to send a PM to all your friends, it feels like I'm getting SPAM.

I need to PM all my friends that Necho's sexy batman kinda girly AV is bursting out of her bra hee hee
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by roccotool

Yeah, I agree. My feeling is that if the 'message to all friends' is about reading/scoring a story one has just posted, its best to avoid the urge.

When people are interested in being notified, they can use the "follow the author" option.

Otherwise, its best just to have the details of a new story in a status message for a few days or maybe in a forum signature.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Quote by roccotool

Yeah, I agree. My feeling is that if the 'message to all friends' is about reading/scoring a story one has just posted, its best to avoid the urge.

When people are interested in being notified, they can use the "follow the author" option.

Otherwise, its best just to have the details of a new story in a status message for a few days or maybe in a forum signature.

Zactly! I'm glad I'm not the only one very annoyed about being PM'ed like this...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Necho

It might be better to give one the ability to reject PM sent by someone using the send to "all friends function".

I have used the PM "all friends function" to send messages to all my friends on rare occasions when I have something to say to everyone. The last time I did that was to announce a story I co-wrote with gypsy, which we are particularly proud of. We spent a number of months working on it and were very excited and enthusiastic about its release.

If someone is on my friends list, it is OK with me for them to send me stuff or visa versa. If I don't like it, I can remove them from my friends list, which I have done with a few individuals in the past for various reasons. There is no point of me having people on my list I don't care about or a person who has offended me.

Overall, it is a good function. I think it should stay.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by iceman
Occassionaly, I send out group mailings to all on my friends list. Since I have slightly over 200, I'm soon at my maximum. Now, I realize that they are each counted as an individual mail and it does take up lots of server time in the distribution. But, why can't a group mailing to all on your friends list count as one only?? You do, after all, have that little box on the PM's to send to all friends! Many times I want to send to individuals and found I can't until the next day.... It does get rather frustrating!!

I think that rocco answered this as he does in his to the point way. It looks like SPAM, thus the limiting factors.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Quote by roccotool

I agree with you and I don't agree with you. I agree that people can use the "follow the author" option. Yet, I don't have a problem with anything people on my friends list send me, if I do I remove them from my list, that has happened rarely.

I get annoyed with people sometimes but I just delete and ignore, that makes things a lot easier and I have zero issues with people that way.
Lurker
0 likes
I was just real blunt. It all depends on how you use the feature. If you use it too much, you just irritate your friends.
Lurker
0 likes
I still find it completely unnecessary to send a pm. The story appears on the front page, you can set your status to announce you have a new story, you can also set your forum signature to announce that you have a new story and readers who like you can choose to follow you. I don't see the point of annoying people with PM.
Lurker
0 likes
And if there is anyone else that is so tragically upset due to the fact that your PM"s are annoying me, please spare me the pity party of sending me a PM about it, (like I said, they annoy me) and just delete me from your friendslist.
Lurker
0 likes
The thing that I find annoying, and Necho can probably relate to this, is friends that pm you up to 4 times about the one story, telling you that they are writing a story, then that they have submitted a story, then that it is published and finally please read and vote.

But I think it will be hard for even gav to launder out those sort of messages. I think the only solution as Kyle has said, and that is to delete them. Hopefully, one day they will understand that pushing their stories onto us, only turns us away.