Login

Online Chat needs help

last reply
15 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
Has the Online Chat function been changed in any way recently? There has been many problems with it recently, including failure to send initial messages, eventually no longer receiving messages until a message is sent, etc. It's getting to be annoying.
Site administrator
I have found that if I send an OM from the persons profile when I hit send the box doesnt collapse. So the other day I assumed it wasnt working and kept hitting send and the poor girl got the message every time and about 20 of them !!
Clever Gem
Until this is fixed can I suggest sending IM's (black boxes) from your friends online page. Just hover over thier name and a list drops down from there and you can send an IM with out it hanging.
Lurker
Does anyone know when this will be fixed?
Lurker
It's been freezing up on me constantly for over a week now. I keep having to refresh but that is really not a solution. Right now it sucks!
Lurker
Same problem, not sure that messages are being sent!
Matriarch
Gav is on holiday for a week, he'll be stopping by these forums noting all the bugs, as one of his first ports of call.

Traffic has shot up recently, we know there's an urgent need to add more servers.

Maybe we should charge for the chatting, that might help pay for those servers and all the rest of the free features which make up the entire site?
Active Ink Slinger
I dont think charging is the answer,you may find yourself with much less accounts,think it over.maybe more advitisers would be a better option.;)
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by nicola
Gav is on holiday for a week, he'll be stopping by these forums noting all the bugs, as one of his first ports of call.

Traffic has shot up recently, we know there's an urgent need to add more servers.

Maybe we should charge for the chatting, that might help pay for those servers and all the rest of the free features which make up the entire site?

Sounds like a good way to get no one to use chat, you could always add really spammy popup ads ;p
Detention Seeker
Question answered above but I have been told it's priority when he is back.
Her Royal Spriteness
sheesh. she's joking, people. the boss has a wicked sense of humor, trust me on this. actually, what i've heard is that she's going to start auctioning off her undergarments to pay for the new server (is why i've been pinching my pennies! i plan on putting in serveral bids!).

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
hey sprite! i have a jar full of quarters!
Matriarch
Quote by sprite
sheesh. she's joking, people. the boss has a wicked sense of humor, trust me on this. actually, what i've heard is that she's going to start auctioning off her undergarments to pay for the new server (is why i've been pinching my pennies! i plan on putting in serveral bids!).

I forget, most of the people who use chat don't even know who I am, let alone my sense of humour

Thanks Sprite for pointing out what I thought was obvious!

It's a free site, supported by advertising and gold member contributions (thanks to all those who've participated, there are some great new perks coming in 2013). It will remain so.
Lurker
It is the first time that it has happened to me and it is very disconcerting not being able to open a chat room to speak with my friends. The issues are as follows: not being able to do the short online e-mails, no pokes, and not being able to open a chat room or participate in one with any of my friends. These glitches are very annoying and upsetting because one thinks that perhaps infractions against the rules have occured.

I sound like a school child and realize that the services provided on this site are free, but I do like to talk with my friends and they do like to talk with me in turn. When their names pop up on my screen, there are no corresponding avatars showing. Nothing works when I open a chat room of my own....trying to write a chat is like ghost writing in the sky at this point.

When will this issue be resolved?
Cocolicious
While I understand your frustration MerryMaiden, I've not seen or heard of all the issues that you are reporting. As has already been stated, the site's tech guru is vacationing. It is imperative that everyone remain patient while he's not here. Nicola has made a wonderful home for us here without many contributing financially to the site's upkeep, so that alone should keep the public complaints and dissatisfaction at bay. Have I experienced the online messaging issue; yes, but there are ways to deal with it. Send your friend a PM, it may not be ideal for you but it is an option.
Code Monkey
I am back, once I have sobered up I shall be making some updates to chat and messaging functions.

Expect a release mid week.

Thanks for all your patience.