Mobile Responsive site - feedback

last reply
55 replies
4.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Code Monkey
0 likes
EDIT: Now the new style sheet has been added, please use the new thread for issues relating to the new responsive design so we can keep them all in one place!

hello lushies

i've been working on a responsive version of the story site (everything apart from the Forum for now) for a while.

for those of you who access Lush using their phone or tablet, i would appreciate any feedback you have on this new site. if you see any rendering issues or some whack pages, please mention them below. screenshots would be appreciated!

i have setup a temporary site to host this:

**removed**

you should be able to login, message and even use chat as normal. i will aim at moving this code to the live site this week baring any major issues found.

cheers, gav
0 likes
Gav, it looks so damn great!!!

I'm taking a look at everything and will add screenshots in a few.

--

It's so s l e e k.
As someone who uses site on Samsung Tablet, I must admit that it's wonderful not having to zoom in but still can if necessary on this new updated version.

××

How the main site looks when clicking on LUSH STORIES on top left corner

Taking you directly to recent stories.

××

Click on red bars in CATEGORIES section and genres slide out to the left side of your screen.

××

Clicking on the three top right bars and settings slide from left side of the screen is great;drop bar on certain options too.

You click on top right bars then site navigation settings appear w/ drop bar for a few of those options.

Once you click on dropbar for SETTINGS you'll see the above

××

Chatroom:

on the top right it let's you know how many users are in that room, other options on top left corner.

then you click on it and list shows on right side of screen. You can leave it open or close it to have full access to room.

Emoji Option shows:

Thought Bubble shows:

Gear shows:

××

Timeline

××

Groups

××

A look on how CHAT HISTORY looks (didn't bother hiding user's info on this screenshot) and you can see how the rest of those folders look too. It's like the main site only compressed.

××

Inbox

(I blocked out babes names and message but you see how it looks.)

Friends List

Left that part out because I share everything else except that. I gotta keep something for myself.
winky winks

××

I don't think I've missed anything but if I have, do add your own screenshots and feedback.

No issues found on my end.

--

Edit:

And this is how my profile looks when clicking on my username/avi

Badge Section

and rest of options w/ drop bar.
Code Monkey
0 likes
^ wow awesome work IT. you deserve a badge or something!!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by gav
^ wow awesome work IT. you deserve a badge or something!!

i'm telling Jen to send you pix of her tits as a way to say thank you, Gav. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i'm telling Jen to send you pix of her tits as a way to say thank you, Gav. smile

If you could throw in a couple of toilet rolls into the pics I will make the forum responsive too
0 likes
Just took a quick look but, dang, I think you nailed it. This is the mobile site we needed. I shall peruse it more and add comments if I see anything worth noting.
0 likes
The only itty bitty issue was in chatroom.

I'm using it as I type this update.

It doesn't generate chat smoothly, I have to manually load it.
The ×××'s are what I used to push the chat forward;no notification sound wasn't heard either.

I thought that room had glitched/froze but once I typed ××× it posted the rest of the chat.

I have to do it each time.

--

Edit:After I posted first pic it showed that I logged in again but I never left.

Code Monkey
0 likes
Thanks IT.

I think its due to it not running on the main site url (lushstories.com).

Our old friend CORS is blocking us.

has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.

It should just "work" once we move to the live site.
Matriarch
0 likes
So are we there yet Gav, are we there, are we?

Excellent work over the last 4 months getting this going. =d>
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
That's absolutely great work Gav! And surely the way forward, having one codebase for both desktop and mobile. Congratulations!

I had a quick view and noticed 2 minor issues:
- On the smallest screens (320px) the items in the red bar are rather crammed and overlap on some pages. A smaller hamburger icon could fix this.
- On my profile page, which has a light background, headers like "About [member]", "Stories Published", etc. are not/hardly visible.

A few suggestions:
- A regular hamburger icon, with 3 equal length horizontal lines, is more common, and therefore more recognisable for navigation menus.
- Since the menu is on the left it would feel more logical to put the icon on the left too.
- I see you've made some (all?) icons with regular HTML elements. That's nice, but may not work for all icons of course. https://ionicons.com/ has a nice set of free icons.

I commend you for the work done, because it probably wasn't all that easy. And I wish you a lot of luck on the forum, because that will probably be even harder. Hopefully Flexbox will let you tame those tables.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by gav
Thanks IT.

I think its due to it not running on the main site url (lushstories.com).

Could that be the issue I had with commenting on stories, too? It looks like the comment isn't saving, but if you check main site it is there. I accidentally commented twice on MollyDoll's comp entry because of it.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Mobile platform works great, but I'm stuck at home for the next 2-3 months. When the pandemic ceases, and I'm not dead, I shall whip out my Note 9 and read the forum or stories or chat - with ease and not care one bit if anyone at the mall, baseball game or the DMV can see my screen.

Solid work, Gav
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Southern Barefoot Angel
0 likes
It works great but even on my phone I prefer the desktop version for when I decide to change my background on the mobile I cant see my background.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I really want to access the desktop version on my phone and devices. Please, please say that is still possible.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by Buz
I really want to access the desktop version on my phone and devices. Please, please say that is still possible.

I can add this option.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It would be nice to be able to get to the home page or be able to contact the mods. I use an iPad most of the time and the changes seem to awkward as hell.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Some issues:

The links are ultra slow.

Cannot see author's stories on their home page.

No home page.

And yes, l personally prefer access to the regular desktop version for my phone and mobile devices.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

I can add this option.

Please, please add that option! I appreciate all the hard work but I prefer the old setup!

I wanted to add that I use Allscripts in my work for twelve hours a day! When I come here after work the thoughts of scrolling is the last thing I want to do!
This is an amazing place to interact but I’m just don’t like this setup at all
The Linebacker
0 likes
The desktop version on my desktop is gone too. When I log in, it is hard to find a way to one's own bio page.

Sorry, but I think this is clunky, difficult, and it's much harder to navigate.

I really hate what has happened to my bio page. Can we not have the bio pages back like they were? We spent a lot of time getting those right.

I think authors want readers and viewers to have easy access to their story list like it was before. That's probably the most important thing.

I vote to bring back the old desktop version. It was awesome! It was a huge reason I came to Lush and the old desktop version is way better than anything else out there.

Things are so much easier to access and organized better on the previous desktop site. This is much more like the competition's sites - why I don't like them.
0 likes
I prefer the old desktop version, sorry.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh
I prefer the old desktop version, sorry.

no worries. i'll add an option in your settings to revert to the desktop theme.
0 likes
Quote by gav

Much appreciated, thank you

I’m afraid I don’t adapt to change as quickly as some so I’m more comfortable with the old format. (You should have seen me when I got a new laptop)
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by gav

The current desktop is also changed. Will the regular one be back?
Dreamer
0 likes
Quote by gav

That would be appreciated.

My bookshelf includes 227 stories, which include 76 collaborations;

One Editor's Pick, Three Series Awards, Fifty-three Recommended Reads, and Eight Famous Stories are included. Go to https://www.lushstories.com/profiles/view/ChrisM/stories

Enjoy

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
add another vote for wanting access to the old desktop version. while i can see the appeal to some mobile/tablet users, the ability to use the desktop version on my phone is why i enjoyed using my phone in the first place.

also, i too find the profiles to no longer be inviting and requiring more work to interact with authors. being able to see stories/poems at a glance was greatly appreciated.

as always, your efforts are truly valued, gav. thanks for ALL you!❤

Say. Her. Name.

Prolific Writer
0 likes
Hi:

I find this set-up confusing and I prefer the old way. It’s very clunky.

Hugs,
Mysteria
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sorry, I use an iPad and always use the previous desktop version. And it’s just not working. Profiles are all over the place what used to be visible when the profile opened is now a long scroll down the page. I can’t click on my profile, the icon is missing from the top of the page where it used to be, so I can’t access settings which is crucial.
Please put it back as it was.
0 likes
Quote by gav

Just in case I want to use the desktop version of lush, where in the settings will it show?

I know many users in chatroom have stated that they were lushing on desktop/laptop and not on iPhone/iPad/Android/Samsung Tablet.

Question as to why some desktop users saw the mobile version?