last reply
47 replies
3.0k views
3 watchers
46 likes
0 likes
Quote by adele

1.   Are you an author?

Under a previous username, now retired, I had over 50 stories in about 9 years on the site. Have been debating whether to start writing here again or not. So, yeah.

2.   Do you primarily use the chat rooms, forums, neither or both.

Forums. Have never been fond of chatrooms, though will occasionally chat one-on-one.

3.   What is the main device you access Lush with? phone/tablet, lappy or PC

Used to be my PC but with this new interface, I am using my phone a lot. Mobile-adaptable was a feature I requested multiple times.

4.   On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the happiest) how happy are you with the chatroom changes?

Pass (see above)

5.   On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the forum changes?

4. Not perfect, but an improvement.

6.   As an author, on a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the story changes?

Pass, though if identical to what we have over on StoriesSpace, it's a 3 or 4. I'll know better in the next few days as I get some new stories up over there.

7.   On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the general overall design changes?

4. Improvement over the rather old look of old Lush but maybe a bit too stripped down in spots.

8.   Which chatroom features do you miss the most? (ex. mention vs just selecting a name, whisper,  "landing" directly into a room, room size, etc)

Pass (see above)

9.  Which forum features do you miss the most? (ex. new format, harder to post pics, forum signature, etc.)

We need a richer editor again. Most of the forums I am on use Froala or similar, which are full rich-text, BBCode-enabled editors. This one is a bit barebones, though it gets the job done and keeps things simple.

10.  As an author, which story features do you miss the most? (ex. detail vs rounding stats, ability to sort, tags at end of story instead of top, etc.)

Pass until I get to use it more.

11.  Which general features do you miss the most? (ex. black boxes, ability to customize profiles, ability to sort friends, have friends all show on 1 page, settings don't hold, becoming part of a dating site, etc.)

Nothing in particular. My presence here has always been pretty focused on writing and forums.

12. Any other comments you would like to add or if there is anything you are particularly happy with on the new site.

In general, I am pleased with the new site and with the pace of fixes and improvements. Were I the project manager, I would have done some more intensive beta testing to try to catch some of the issues before it went live, but I'm a bit anal about stuff like that. Fact is, this site was the beneficiary of Stories Space going first. Be glad most of you weren't around for that one and that some of the problems we found were already fixed by the time Lush went.

As far as the side conversation about the nature of the site, when I joined as seeker4 in 2012, I joined to write. And I wrote irregularly for 8.something years. I deleted because of personal stuff, not the site or the upgrade. Just felt the time was right. This account is purely to stay on the forums and stay in touch with what is happening for now. But I am already thinking about story ideas for here so never say never. 

So a move from being an erotic writing site to a general adult entertainment site would not be something that would motivate me to stay. The chatrooms, social media aspects (e.g. profiles), "finding a match", and so on are there but not what I am here for. And if they become the focus, then I will likely find someplace else for my writing, should I indeed start writing erotica again.

I think Lush 1 was at its strongest when the stories were front and center, with the rest to develop a community around that writing. I hope that is what this site is about, too.

Sincerely,

Scott (formerly seeker4, now NewLushSeeker)

0 likes
Quote by WannabeWordsmith
Quote by danadmin

Just a note to say in the next update (middle of next week), we will be giving moderators the option to send messages when they approve stories, we are also hoping to have the new editor ready which will support copy and paste.

Wooohoooo! Thank you.

Seconding the wordsmith's "Woo Hoo".

Scarlet Seductress
4 likes

Bear in mind that Lush 2.0 isn't just a redesign of the site, it is a completely new platform. Slapping a new theme on the old Lush would have kept the people happy who wanted to keep things the way they were but wouldn't have addressed any of the major issues that were impacting the day-to-day running.

Gav was retiring from active development and support of the site and he had been the sole programmer of Lush for a decade. With hundreds of thousands of registered members and tens of millions of views each year, it was a priority to ensure that the site was scalable going forward, made use of new web technologies to maximise reliability and performance, was mobile responsive so that the user experience is consistent from one device to the next, etc.

The core functionality of the old site is present and most of those features that were not part of the migration are either already on the development roadmap or in the suggestions pile for review. I have personally made in the range of 15-20 suggestions myself, from better visual separation between forum posts to mailbox UI improvements.

This stuff takes time to code/design. So, it's not that no one is listening to members' opinions, it's that hundreds of people posting their gripes in forum threads, many of which have already been mentioned at least once, just muddies the waters making it difficult to identify what actually needs prioritising.

Give the new development team a chance to get their teeth into things.

0 likes
Quote by Liz

Bear in mind that Lush 2.0 isn't just a redesign of the site, it is a completely new platform. Slapping a new theme on the old Lush would have kept the people happy who wanted to keep things the way they were but wouldn't have addressed any of the major issues that were impacting the day-to-day running.

Gav was retiring from active development and support of the site and he had been the sole programmer of Lush for a decade. With hundreds of thousands of registered members and tens of millions of views each year, it was a priority to ensure that the site was scalable going forward, made use of new web technologies to maximise reliability and performance, was mobile responsive so that the user experience is consistent from one device to the next, etc.

The core functionality of the old site is present and most of those features that were not part of the migration are either already on the development roadmap or in the suggestions pile for review. I have personally made in the range of 15-20 suggestions myself, from better visual separation between forum posts to mailbox UI improvements.

This stuff takes time to code/design. So, it's not that no one is listening to members' opinions, it's that hundreds of people posting their gripes in forum threads, many of which have already been mentioned at least once, just muddies the waters making it difficult to identify what actually needs prioritising.

Give the new development team a chance to get their teeth into things.

Amen, Liz. When I look at the state of StoriesSpace now vs. right after the upgrade, the team has definitely been responsive and capable. That said, it is a much simpler site, just stories, forums, and profiles. There's a lot more moving parts here. As an IT guy and forum admin myself, I think the progress has been satisfactory to excellent.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
Quote by AppleByBoom
Quote by honeydipped
Quote by IMPÜRETHOUGHTS

I love the site. 

I just see this thread as another form to complain when there are other threads where actual feedback is needed about what you liked about the old site and how can we make it work w/ this interface. 

where is the thread where we can provide feedback?

ETA: if in by "other threads" you mean ones created by mods/site admin.

Here: https://www.lushstories.com/forum/site-announcements-feedback/lush-20-ask-user-interface-questions-and-share-tips-here

ah, ok...didn't notice the addendum to the title. thanks. 

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes
Quote by WannabeWordsmith

Wheeeeeeeeee, this is pointless but I'll play along.

> Are you an author?

Yes!

> Do you primarily use the chat rooms, forums, neither or both.

Forums, trying to help people transition and remain informed about what's going on and why everything won't happen right now.

> What is the main device you access Lush with? phone/tablet, lappy or PC

Laptop/phone. It doesn't matter. It's the same codebase now on a single domain, unlike previously.

> On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the happiest) how happy are you with the chatroom changes?

Never used the chat rooms. Not starting now.

> On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the forum changes?

Maybe 4? It evolves by the day. But it's actually usable on mobile, unlike before where it was pinch-zoom city and I'd have rated the forum experience a 2.

It's not perfect. What is? Linking to individual forum topics works fine on desktop but copying a post link to the clipboard doesn't seem to work reliably on mobile (might be my obscure browser). We never had that feature at all on Lush 1, so that's a major step up.

Quoting is hit and miss here right now. It's workable. Quoting multiple people or adding quote blocks via the toolbar would be a nice-to-have one day.

Glad to see the back of BBCode. Man, that was awful.

The only major regression I can see is uploading images direct from device. And that's coming soon (which should hopefully work in PMs and wall posts too).

> As an author, on a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the story changes?

Right now, you mean? Might change tomorrow. Dunno. 4ish? Compared to the story pages and experience on Lush 1 which I'd rate a 3 in comparison. It was clunky and dated.

The story pages here look mint, barring the story cover image if it's not strict portrait dimensions. Hopefully that requirement can be relaxed one day.

On the publishing front I've not tried in anger. But with the formatting not pastable from Word and no apparent ability to import, that's a major stumbling block that I hope can be fixed quickly. It'll largely depend on the toolbar that's used. The one on Lush 1 was bodged and hacked over time to be what it became. It was very basic for a long time. And let's not forget what happened to everyone's stories when the editor was swapped out and all the spacing got screwed up if you went and edited an old story. That was a major pain - for authors and moderators.

> On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the general overall design changes?

So far... it's a huge step up. I'd rate it between 4 and 5. Unified codebase, usable forums, sleeker appearance. Sure there are (currently) some omissions that'd make things smoother still. IM is flaky. But so were BBs.

All in good time.

> Which forum features do you miss the most?

Not so much miss, because the new forum is fab. Catching up on threads was a pain in Lush 1 because only the latest post in each forum was highlighted on the main page so it was easy to miss topics. Two posts per forum here is better, and overall it's waaaaay easier on the eye.

With 'New Posts' in the Lush 2 forum, we never need miss anything. But there's such a post volume that it'd be great if there was an indicator of which forum each topic title was in (clickable to take you to the relevant forum landing page). At the moment I have to guess from the topic title whether it's in one of the forums I care about.

> As an author, which story features do you miss the most?

Formatting when pasting in from an external source.

Notification of activity is hit and miss right now.

Squishing my existing cover art into the portrait box instead of letting it fit naturally (constrained only by height would be fine).

> Which general features do you miss the most?

Some of the privacy controls. I'm sure they're on the list as things evolve. Lush 1 probably had about 5 settings when it launched and they grew over time (though comprehensive, they were an absolute mess - some for hiding stuff, some for showing it).

I think the team are doing an amazing job tackling everything and keeping the plates spinning. It's a shame about the impatient members who have given up because it's currently not exactly the same as before. Lush 1 was built over 15 years, feature by feature, hack upon hack. Not everything can survive a transition to a completely new system from day one.

Lush 2 has pretty much been rewritten from scratch in a very short space of time before the old site ran out of support. With the amount of downtime Lush 1 had due to ailing hardware (and said hacks) it was on borrowed time. When it next fell over, it might never have been revived without anyone to charge the defibrillator paddles.

With no other viable options (partners in a similar story sphere due to conflict of interests, or people unwilling to host adult content due to various payment or legal restrictions) Lush has terraformed a biome on an alien planet inhabited largely by swingers biggrin

Very little about the way the indigenous folk used the platform is compatible with a story site, so that aspect is being built entirely from scratch to coexist with our new neighbours. There's a lot of overlap with other areas of Lush 1 that have now been expanded, merged and tweaked too. There were only two user levels in the existing system; we had more. That's a fundamental, system-wide change with far-reaching ramifications from an architecture viewpoint, which needed to be changed in "their" system to match "ours". And that's not an isolated case; it's not all one-way.

As many hacks and warts as possible from the story side of Lush 1 (and StoriesSpace!) were ported in the restrictive timeframe. I'm astounded the development team shoehorned in as much as they did before blastoff. Everything else will be considered feature by feature, just as in Lush 1. But in a more sustainable manner.

We survived in Lush 1 without series links for, what, 12? 13 years? And they were twitchy AF with that dual input box and selector contraption. Until then, we had just rudimentary next/previous links that were a pain to manage on a story-by-story basis.

After listening to feedback, less than a month after launch among all the other teething troubles and bug patches, we have series ordering here: better and more flexible and usable than before, showing up as navigable sets in each story to allow readers to enjoy more of an author's universe. That's dedication. That's hard work. That's taking a bolt-on feature from Lush 1 that took 13 years to materialise (through nobody's fault) and re-engineering it in a more sustainable and manageable form. In a month.

It's not us vs them or "we are being told by the new host company" as if they're some monolithic entity determined to bulldoze everything about the written word in lieu of making us all date each other. To imply so is plain rude. It's about taking each piece of what made Lush great and slotting it into an existing framework so both can be supported and not fall over or need to go down for 20 minutes (or longer) every day for maintenance.

The previous thread was locked because, with the best will in the world, nobody is going to read through 13 pages of bugs/rants before deciding whether to post their own findings, just in case it's a duplicate. The helpdesk is there to be used. File support requests as you find them. One per ticket to keep things specific and manageable. Someone will field them as best they can, while we all learn new ways of working and keep abreast of the changes.

Asking divisive questions in the forum about why the new planet on which we've just landed only has saplings instead of the gnarly oaks from the one we had to hurriedly leave behind isn't constructive.

Ahh, my friend, this ^^^^^ is everything.  

Slow clap. Standing ovation.  

0 likes
Quote by danadmin

Just a note to say in the next update (middle of next week), we will be giving moderators the option to send messages when they approve stories, we are also hoping to have the new editor ready which will support copy and paste.

Fabulous  - you guys are doing such great work. Sorry that some people don't see that. I'm a happy camper. Is there coffee? Thanks. 

Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Quote by danadmin

This is exciting news to me. Thank you for your work on this! 
0 likes
Quote by dlcalguy
Quote by IMPÜRETHOUGHTS
Quote by dlcalguy

tl;dr - Drink the cool-aid and stop complaining. 

That's the spirit. Stop complaining. 

I have you blocked. Why am I even seeing your shit? Yet another problem with this iteration.

Don't you recall that blocks didn't work in forums when user would reply. For you liking Lush V.1, you are very forgetful. 

A legend in my own mind!
2 likes
Quote by adele

We are being told by the new host company that many of the differences are due to the fact that "75% of THEIR users access the site on a phone" and that they used to have features similar to some of ours, but when they polled THEIR users, were told they didn't like them, so they changed. It also appears that they intend to just make Lush part of their dating site "family". We feel like they should take into account what OUR LUSH MEMBERS feel, so here is a list of questions that should provide a good idea for how we feel about things.

1.   Are you an author?
Yes, 194 stories in less than three years!
Neither very often
PC
  4.   On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the happiest) how happy are you with the chatroom changes?
  6.   As an author, on a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the story changes?
  7.   On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the general overall design changes?
-1, the site seems to be more distracting than anything else.
  8.   Which chatroom features do you miss the most? (ex. mention vs just selecting a name, whisper,  "landing" directly into a room, room size, etc)
None
  9.  Which forum features do you miss the most? (ex. new format, harder to post pics, forum signature, etc.)
None
10.  As an author, which story features do you miss the most? (ex. detail vs rounding stats, ability to sort, tags at end of story instead of top, etc.)
Detail Stats, ability to see the whole list of stories, not broken by pages for sorting, I hate the 'likes', prefer the scoring and comments.  Prefer the old notifications than the current list that disappears after you click one.  Dislike the lack of email when an author you follow posts.  All in all the site no longer is author centric -- which was the original purpose.  I have been averaging a long (not micro) story a week since I joined.  Since the 'upgrade' I have not posted once.  The site is a distraction rather than a tool.
11.  Which general features do you miss the most? (ex. black boxes, ability to customize profiles, ability to sort friends, have friends all show on 1 page, settings don't hold, becoming part of a dating site, etc.)
The image list is awkward to use as well.
12. Any other comments you would like to add or if there is anything you are particularly happy with on the new site.
I dislike the changes and do not see it as an upgrade or improvement.  I work in IT and rule number one when making changes is you do not remove functionality  without giving something better (easier to use or more convenient) in return.

Meddle Not In The Affairs of Dragons, for we are Crunchy and Good with Ketchup!
0 likes

I haven’t been able to really digest all the changes to this site. However, this doesn’t seem like an upgrade.

I liked Lush because we could read stories, connect with members, and interact with them. I used the messaging system for that.

Unfortunately, as it stands, I can’t connect to my previous friends because the messaging system barely exists (at least on mobile) and we are funneled into chat rooms.

Some of the folks I chatted with left.

And I really don’t like this effort trying to turn this site into a social media, dating, whatever thing wrapped all in one. It was awesome being a story site where we could interact with each other.

I don’t know if anyone else feels the way I do but I don’t really like this new site.

Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Quote by Brookell
I work in IT and rule number one when making changes is you do not remove functionality  without giving something better (easier to use or more convenient) in return.

I also work in the field and appreciate that, while this sentiment generally holds true, when a system has outgrown its codebase and extenuating circumstances dictate otherwise (in this case, shut the site or rapidly find a new home on a platform that could be iterated towards something better over time) then difficult decisions need to be made that contradict such ideals.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 111 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

0 likes
Quote by _mal_

I haven’t been able to really digest all the changes to this site. However, this doesn’t seem like an upgrade.

I liked Lush because we could read stories, connect with members, and interact with them. I used the messaging system for that.

Unfortunately, as it stands, I can’t connect to my previous friends because the messaging system barely exists (at least on mobile) and we are funneled into chat rooms.

And I really don’t like this effort trying to turn this site into a social media, dating, whatever thing wrapped all in one. It was awesome being a story site where we could interact with each other.

I don’t know if anyone else feels the way I do but I don’t really like this new site.

Nope, everyone else loves it.

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes
Quote by CallmeJayne
Quote by _mal_

Congratulations Jayne, you just made me laugh out loud.
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
Quote by adele

We are being told by the new host company that many of the differences are due to the fact that "75% of THEIR users access the site on a phone" and that they used to have features similar to some of ours, but when they polled THEIR users, were told they didn't like them, so they changed. It also appears that they intend to just make Lush part of their dating site "family". We feel like they should take into account what OUR LUSH MEMBERS feel, so here is a list of questions that should provide a good idea for how we feel about things.

1.   Are you an author?

Yes

Both to interact with friends

Laptop

Haven't submitted a new story - yet

Ability to create a room to post pics. Just selecting a name. Seeing who is in a room before entering

Harder to post pics

Youtube music on profile. 

Ability to chat outside the rooms. - can't customise messenger (font, add pics etc}

Seems to be a downgrade on some of the things I like from Lush 1.0 then expected to pay more to get back what went missing

Our Stories Hellcat - OUR LATEST TALE
Lovers-Tryst
Tantalizing-Pleasures
Taken
Craving-him
A-Naughty-Christmas
Always Yours Eye-am-yours
Stories of Lana and Evan Cornucopia, Morning Delights, Tropical Escape
Oceans of-Love, Visions of You, Dream a Little Dream, That Attraction
RR - Sci Fi - The Thief and The Stolen Heart

Weaver of Words
3 likes
Quote by CallmeJayne
Quote by _mal_

You obviously are picking and choosing which comments you read, cause if you read them all, you would see not everyone is thrilled with Lush as it currently stands. And isn't it odd that the people who seem happiest with the site just happen to be mods?

I intended this thread to gather information as well as to give people a place to vent a little. A thread that is looking to "ask-user-interface-questions-and-share-tips-here" doesn't really seem like a thread looking for feedback (despite what AppleByBoom said). A phone may be a great vehicle for a chat room (though I can't imagine how easy it is in a room with 100 people in it) but it certainly is not conducive to writing and posting stories.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by adele
Quote by CallmeJayne
Quote by _mal_

You obviously are picking and choosing which comments you read, cause if you read them all, you would see not everyone is thrilled with Lush as it currently stands. And isn't it odd that the people who seem happiest with the site just happen to be mods?

I intended this thread to gather information as well as to give people a place to vent a little. A thread that is looking to "ask-user-interface-questions-and-share-tips-here" doesn't really seem like a thread looking for feedback (despite what AppleByBoom said). A phone may be a great vehicle for a chat room (though I can't imagine how easy it is in a room with 100 people in it) but it certainly is not conducive to writing and posting stories.

Sorry for butting in, although I am part of this thread, but I think Jayne was not being serious. I do not profess to be be speaking for her because she does a lot of speaking for herself but I am pretty sure that she is fully aware that not everyone is happy.

0 likes

I don't want to do another quote because it will go on forever.

Sorry, Adele...I know your intentions are good.

Of course my comment about everyone being happy was a joke.

People deal with change in different ways but I'm sure everyone will be happy in the end. Things are moving faster than expected.

Btw, I'm not a mod. I'm happier than some, because for me LS is an entertainment site, not because I'm pushing the party line.

0 likes

Hi Cas,

Thanks for the lovely shout out 😉. I'm not pushing the company line, I'm genuinely thrilled with the new Lush. As you know, I wasn't actually a Moderator until after we moved over here 🙂. 

I have never claimed things are perfect, of course they're not (nothing ever is). However, being kind and patient shouldn't really be a big ask. 

(For the record, that is the thread for site feedback.) 

Also, I use my phone the vast majority of the time, and the chatrooms (regardless of if it has 100 people in it) works well. The picture rooms can move really quickly, which is no different from  V1. 

I don't think anyone advised you to use your phone to write stories?

WW has addressed many of the issues you raised, Dan has also responded and advised there is an update due this week. 

As for the venting, I've spent time with you going over pretty much everything you've raised here. I've spent a lot of time in the ladies room answering questions and helping as well, not to mention the time I've spent with individuals, and in the main chatrooms too. 

Anyway. This poll might have worked better for you if you'd done it as an actual poll, but it's a bit late for that now. 

All the best.