Front page story

last reply
7 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
On the front page when the story shows, instead of having the first few lines of the story showing, could authors write a small summery or pick a section of the story to show. Just because the first few sentences of a story is usually not a good indication of how the story will develop.
Matriarch
0 likes
That's an idea.

Gav would have to code another section to the story submission area though, and program it so that if nothing was entered in there, it would default to how we have it currently.

Is there much demand for this? Anyone else?
Lollipop Girl
0 likes
I think that would be a good idea. You would be able to get more back ground like you do when you read the back of a book. Good idea Necho!
"Haters make me FAMOUS!!!"

Sassy
Lurker
0 likes
But at the same time, that would help you stretch your writing muscles by leaving it the way it is. A challenge to see if you can capture your reader with just two or three lines to make them want to read the whole story. Just sayin.
Matriarch
0 likes
Good point Chef.

Don't forget we have the one liner too, so once people are on the story page, they have a brief summary of what the story is all about there.

I guess you're talking about before people even get to the story page itself.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Necho
On the front page when the story shows, instead of having the first few lines of the story showing, could authors write a small summery or pick a section of the story to show. Just because the first few sentences of a story is usually not a good indication of how the story will develop.

Very true. like th eidea.
Lurker
0 likes
pick a section of the story to show

How about having those few lines show on the mouseover, as you drag your mouse across the story preview on the front page?
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
I second Necho's suggestion, and send an "atta boy" to Rocco for his follow-up. Although I'm a big nag about strong openings, (see my little noted nor long remembered, How To Be A Happy Hooker in the Author's Reesources forum) there are times when more subtle openings are called for.

Rumple Foreskin
RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN