Awesome Award 3/16/17: Dirty Martini

last reply
24 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Sometimes it's all about the timing. Alan was actually going to be the next awardee. Had I known there was going to be a time schedule involved...

There's already a lot of tributes going on, but a lot of people have asked me to do this properly, to officially award him this badge, to give him the moment he deserves. I think that says a lot about him.

Alan joined Lush on Oct 19,2009. Listing his accomplishments doesn't seem to do him justice. i know there are a lot of people here who have a way with words much more poetic than i do, and i hope that they put down their thoughts as well. that said, i'll give it a shot. it's a bit disjointed, but... i'll do my best.

Alan was a poet at heart. Not that he couldn't and didn't write short stories and erotica, but his true love was poetry, and he put a lot of love and care into doing just that. i am sure that anyone who knew him, even just as a casual acquaintance, will tell you that he would go out of his way to encourage his fellow writers, pass on whatever advice he had, or just talk the craft. and it went beyond that. giving you a heads up that there was a competition or a publisher was taking submissions for something he thought you would be interested. he had a huge heart - if you loved to write, he wanted to help foster that love.

then, there was the Alan who went after plagiarists tirelessly. god help the thief who stole a story if he caught you at it. he'd go at them like the white knight from hell. he'd help you with that too. but he'd always keep his sense of humor. a lot of his jokes were the kind you groan over, but really, they made you smile all the more for it.

he loved to talk music, too. he played guitar, mostly the blues. loved photography. he was, really, a bit of a renaisance man - an all around artist.

all in all, so many people, here, and on the blue site, were touched by him, either by his words, or his presence. just so you know, his profile and written works will remain here as long as Lush exists. go read his poems, here, and at storiesspace: http://www.storiesspace.com/dirtymartini/stories

he'd like that. a lot. i like to think that, as long as his work exists, he will never be truly gone.

Is happiness something far out of reach?
Something for which we must strive.
Like some far off destination,
Where we hope someday to arrive.

Or is happiness just a commodity?
Something that can be bought,
Or is happiness something we all can learn?
Something that must be taught.

Is our happiness in short supply?
That may someday come to an end,
Or is there enough to go around?
That we can share it with a friend.

There are many things we’ll never know,
Like an envelope that’s always sealed,
And yet as we pass through life,
The answers are slowly revealed.

For we‘re all here for a reason,
As we pass from young to old,
And the longer that we live it,
The more answers will unfold.

And though we entered the world that way,
We were never meant to be alone,
And though we may often try,
We can’t do it all on our own.

For I believe happiness is our purpose,
And a purpose made to share,
To help make happy the ones we love,
And show them that we care.

And whatever our purpose in life may be,
And only time will truly tell,
My only hope is that I’ve served it,
And served my purpose well.

-Alan W. Janakowski.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
I had a lump in my throat reading this wonderful tribute, Rachel.

Alan will be smiling xx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A most fitting tribute to an amazing writer, poet, and friend. He is and will be missed by many.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
your heartfelt words are truly touching, rachel. over the past week, i've come to realize i missed out on knowing an absolutely inspirational person. this tribute, in conjunction with the poetry competition, encompasses alan's spirit very well. i agree with those above, he's smiling down on us and is very proud. thank you for sharing❤

Say. Her. Name.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
A very touching tribute. Thanks, Rachel.

L x
Story Verifier
0 likes
Yes, a very beautiful tribute Rachel.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
This is a classy decision. That was beautifully said, Rachel.
0 likes
Beautiful, selfless and respectful way to say farewell to one of our LUSH poet laureates, and inspiration/friend to so many.
DM, I always thought I had time to know you, but foolishly I let that time slip by. May the wind be at your back, and the sun on your face.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations, wherever you are, Alan. You made the world a brighter and better place.
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm sure Alan would have been touched by this tribute Sprite. Very nicely done.

He would probably have had a chuckle to himself, about the comedic timing too.

He's left a big void in the writing community. He's touched so many people's hearts.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
This was beautifully written, Rachel.
The Creep
0 likes
So Beautiful Sprite.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A beautiful tribute to a great person! I am glad his work will be available on lush for many to read and get inspired! I am sure he is smiling
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I met Alan in 2007 on another site. He was the first person to greet me after I posted my first story online. Then we moved to Lush in 2009 and SS in 2011. Over the years we had many long winded conversations about music, love, drinking, writing and our lives. He was a true friend and often a mentor. Alan was the most prolific writer I've ever known.

The world was a better place with him in it. His legacy of words have often been repeated by the masses of his fans. I only hope that his family or closest friends find a way to archive and save his works.

I thank Nicola and Lush for honoring my friend.
High Lord of Darkness
0 likes
Such a nice tribute and a nice thing to do with regards the competition. I am going to have a read at some of the poems soon.

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal!

Watch this space...She is really - cumming soon!

0 likes
OMG, I leave the site for a few days and we lose DirtyMartini. I don't think it is possible to be active on Lush and not at least know who he is. I only knew him through forum posts and writing, but those spoke volumes. Beautiful tribute, Rachel, and I love that the new comp is in his honour.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Alan certainly was awesome. He was all around awesome from being a genuinely really good person to caring to being talented to having a great sense of humor.
0 likes
What an amazing tribute to Alan. Like many, I did not know him but have been thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to read some of his works that many have been sharing.
Awesome Lady
0 likes
I can only repeat so much of what has been said. I feel through the words of those that knew him well that I missed knowing a oh-so-special person. Sprite, this and the competition are very moving and are a well deserved tribute.
Convict
0 likes
Happy You Are Awesome Day, Alan.

This is a fantastic Tribute Spritelette and he would've been so chuffed. He was awesome in the true sense of the word. I also have him to thank for bringing to my attention that penguicorns really do exist. He snapped this one in his front yard.

This is the type of thing he did often, along with little notes to me asking if I was ok when I would go quiet for a while. He had his own problems but always found something nice or funny for someone else.

Chat Moderator
0 likes
Beautifully written Sprite. Thank you .
Primus Omnium
0 likes
It's wonderful to see this from you, Rachel, as well as all of the other loving thoughts and words from others.
Flirtatiously Fluttering
0 likes
I haven't visited the site in some time and am saddened to learn that Alan is gone.

Wonderful tribute Sprite.

xo