AUTHORS - please read this before submitting your next story

last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
As lushstories.com becomes increasingly popular, our moderators are being put under more and more pressure, with story submissions coming in thicker and faster.

We no longer have the luxury of time to "fix" stories as we have done previously, and with a generous spirit.

Please remember, we are NOT an editing service. Story moderators act as the quality control for the site, and give guidance to authors where necessary. They are volunteers, not paid editors.

I have given the team a more rigid set of guidelines, as to how we are should process stories moving forward.

The starting point to ensure your story gets verified first time, is to read this thread:

Advice before submitting a story

It will be assumed that you have read and digested the contents of the above.

There is some leeway, we are all human, and mistakes do happen - however, if we see more than 3 or 4 errors in the opening paragraphs, the story will be sent back to the author. If it's littered with mistakes at the outset, that's a sure sign the rest hasn't been checked thoroughly too.

This may seem a fairly harsh stance, but we have already processed 966 stories in the first 3 weeks of the year, and it's become increasingly necessary to put these measures in place.

The quality of stories has a knock-on effect throughout the site. It's in everyone's best interests, to make sure you submit a story to the best of your ability, and that we publish only high quality work.

Thank you all for your continued support of the site, and for your valued story submissions.

Cheers,

Nicola
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That's funny I submitted my latest story just last night, my longest story yet too. But I did go through it time and time again, being it's a long story I don't really expect it to be passed first time. But I can sure understand why those rules and guidelines have been put into place, especially now the site is getting busy.

All the story Mods do such a great job though, all the Mod's I have had the pleasure of talking too have been most kind and helpful. And I doubt that will change either, All authors will just have to show some self discipline when it comes to submitting.

Thank you all story Mod's and keep up the great work.

Jamie
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Noted! The Mods do alot of work that is greatly appreciated!
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Thanks, Nicola, for reminding us of something that I assumed was taken for granted. Each author must and should edit their work before submission. Such a simple rule. Such a simple request. Such a simple routine all authors should have incorporated into the process of writing a piece of work.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Thank you Nicola for such a useful read, I’m glad to get more information about what goes on behind the scenes. I understand that the mods are unpaid and limited which is understandable with so many stories being submitted. I never rush or expect my stories to pass within seconds. I know how many stories and how little mods are. It’s a lot of work. I want to thank each and every one of them for doing a great job.

I do have a question though. I have always used italics in my stories when my characters are speaking. I didn't in my first few stories but then was told by someone I should and once I got in the habit I liked it. It makes sense to me. However I submitted a story last night and when I woke up this morning one of the reasons it failed was for something else, but she also asked me to remove the italics from the dialogues. I just am wondering why? Why can’t I use them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wow Lush is processing an average (for now) of 46 stories per day? That is certainly a lot of work for the mods. Wasting precious minutes just to reject a story is unfruitful and must be frustrating for the mods, who also have their own stories and lives.

I do understand the need for tougher guidelines.

Nevertheless congratulation on the increasing success of the site.
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
I do have a question though. I have always used italics in my stories when my characters are speaking. I didn't in my first few stories but then was told by someone I should and once I got in the habit I liked it. It makes sense to me. However I submitted a story last night and when I woke up this morning one of the reasons it failed was for something else, but she also asked me to remove the italics from the dialogues. I just am wondering why? Why can’t I use them.

My understanding is that italics convey emphasis. In dialogue, the conversation itself should carry the impact and the character, situation etc. Used sparingly, it is usually ok. If all dialogue is in italics, then for me it's a style issue.

The same goes for underlining and bold. I'd rather not see them at all in stories.

Please post the question separately, in the writer's resources section, I wish to keep this thread on topic.