last reply
160 replies
8.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by verity100
Kimmi, you are so very nice and at the same time so very naughty. My first story (for which you now have no excuse for not reading) was a total of over 15,000 words, split into two parts. That one was easy to write as it was true, about me and how I found Lush. Having said that, it was rejected several times for being of pretty low quality with regards to spelling, formatting and almost complete lack of correct punctuation. Thankfully tams_back_yay took pity on me and went the extra mile to correct it. After that, people were asking me for more, something I never had so started to make stuff up. Since then, the ever lovely twisted_skald (Mischelle) has very kindly taken me under her wing and invited me to join her novice writers club. Since I’ve been on lush I have received nothing but kindness. I count myself so very lucky to have been accepted by you and many others. I’ve even been gifted bronze, silver and gold membership. I owe it to those lovely people to do my best and continue writing. So basically, thank you and all of the wonderful people of Lush for giving me this opportunity. PS, I was only joking about reading my first story, it does ramble on a bit but if you ever have a problem sleeping it may be worth a try. Oh yes, I almost forgot to say, I got myself a bit squiffy today and dropped the “F” word into one of my stories. Oh dear, kindest regards, Verity

You might want to try the free version of Gramnarly. I once had a story rejected because I had made some sloppy mistakes, and the moderator practically ordered me to get it.

It has to be used with some caution, because it doesn't replace a human editor. It requires some judgment calls, because sometimes it recommends things that don't make any sense. (I remember wanting to use brown stone, the material, and Grammarly wanted it as brownstone, the type of building.) If you can get a human proofreader, that would be ideal.
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
Quote by LucaByDesign

Not so much now, but there was another writing site I used to visit where I could let my inner Demon Critiquer let rip — always delivered with a lovely dollop of honey, though.

Does anyone fancy a mauling? (No, please, only joking).

Ooh, ooh, pick me! Every once in a while, I ponder setting up a group or forum where everyone is encouraged to thoroughly rip into each other's writing (with membership entirely voluntary), but a) I don't have time and b) I imagine it wouldn't end well... The culture here is so nice, which is lovely, but it leaves me trying to guess when people are leaving a comment because they genuinely enjoyed my story and when it's out of hope that I'll leave a nice comment for them in return. But I seldom leave much criticism, because I'd hate to put anyone off writing, since we all started somewhere and, besides, there's plenty of stuff on here which is technically not brilliant but is hugely popular (I guess it's hypothetically possible that some readers here aren't interested in the literary merit of the smut they read???)

Quote by LucaByDesign

Also, I don't think the best writers always make the best critics. I wondered how this could be. I suppose what makes a piece of writing great is more than just technique, knowing the rules. This can all be learned with time, as can learning how to knock out an engaging, presentable story that has all the right bits — I am a case pinpoint, though some might disagree. But I think some writers just have that certain extra spice wired into them from . . . I'll be fucked if I know where from! (forgive the preposition — another rule to be broken whenever you can.

I think I see myself in a similar light. There are bits of story craft that, IMHO, I've learned to do reasonably well (from reading widely, looking at online writing guides and being generally self-critical, along with very occasional constructive criticism on here), but some people can just write stuff that just sings...
Mary Poppins
0 likes
Quote by LakeShoreLimited

You might want to try the free version of Gramnarly. I once had a story rejected because I had made some sloppy mistakes, and the moderator practically ordered me to get it.

It has to be used with some caution, because it doesn't replace a human editor. It requires some judgment calls, because sometimes it recommends things that don't make any sense. (I remember wanting to use brown stone, the material, and Grammarly wanted it as brownstone, the type of building.) If you can get a human proofreader, that would be ideal.
Thank you. I did try it but couldn’t understand what it was telling me to do. What I do now is save my story as a PDF and use the “read out loud” function. Listening back to someone else speaking has really helped me. Regards, Verity
Be nice to each other

Attention Whore
0 likes
Quote by PhilU

Every once in a while, I ponder setting up a group or forum where everyone is encouraged to thoroughly rip into each other's writing (with membership entirely voluntary), but a) I don't have time and b) I imagine it wouldn't end well...

Pick me. Pick me.

Nothing I like more than a little slash and burn through someone else's hard wrung words.

Actually and seriously I would not be averse to this. All of us could benefit from some quality, constructive, critiquing from time to time.

I've provided direct feedback to a couple of authors on a casual 'what did you think of this' basis and raised issues that they probably hadn't given much thought to. Sometimes it is just a matter of a different perspective.

And I have no issue about the same being done to my scribblings. Certainly, it is preferable to unexplained scoring.

Xxx
Yes, you should have a hazard label on you, "warning CG will be your every fantasy"

Attention Whore
0 likes
And whilst I'm on this forum...

Can I request that the Competition Entry Guidelines are updated to include the restrictions regarding story publication for related stories. I've found this particularly frustrating and would be a bit more sanguine about the matter if that information had been made available prior to me submitting a competition entry.

Xxx
Yes, you should have a hazard label on you, "warning CG will be your every fantasy"

0 likes
Quote by PhilU

. . . There are bits of story craft that, IMHO, I've learned to do reasonably well (from reading widely, looking at online writing guides and being generally self-critical . . . sings...

That sounds like me too.

The more I write the more I have come to understand the importance of reading in the furthering of one's skills. Many a time I have run into a problem — an uncertainty of how to approach a situation in a story, phrase something in a specific way, only to have the problem nicely illustrated for me in the reading I might be doing around that time.

I think reading outside one's comfort zone is one of the biggest favours that aspiring writers can do for themselves. By that, I mean not just reading literary stuff, but also trash, genres you would not normally consider. Only the other week I read somewhere that reading sports journalism was a great way to discover startling and bold new adjectives. The sports pages are the last place I would ever consider looking, but thinking about it, I can see what was meant.

And bad habits can be hard to break. Reading through some of the stories, I would come upon bits that didn't really work, sort of letting the story down, and I would think, but, yeah, you've done that before now. But seeing it objectively, makes you realise how it looks to a third party. There's no lesson better than one that says, for God's sake, don't do it like this.

Yeah, I don't see publically critiquing stories on Lush quite what the site is about. There are numerous sites that have smut writers who are willing to exchange critiques, though often it is a case of the blind leading the blind.

I suppose if an author wants constructive feedback, they could request such; a note at the foot of their story requesting it delivered in a PM.

Most readers on here are reading for the sexual kick. If we writers can give them that, make their fantasy real, to the best of our ability, all well and good. But I imagine most casual readers could not give a fuck about literary ability. They just want their particular itch scratching.
Chatterbox Blonde- Rumps Mystical Bartender
0 likes
Quote by LucaByDesign

Most readers on here are reading for the sexual kick. If we writers can give them that, make their fantasy real, to the best of our ability, all well and good. But I imagine most casual readers could not give a fuck about literary ability. They just want their particular itch scratching.

Feck it Luca, that's what I've been doing wrong all this time.
I've been amusing my muse and letting her put words on a page.
I didn't think I needed to seduce the reader too.
That explains everything.

Whatever was posted is always meant in love and respect never to offend.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

I've been listening to my kinky pencil here's my current work

My current Competition entry is here
A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.
Mary Poppins
0 likes
Quote by CumGirl

Pick me. Pick me.

Nothing I like more than a little slash and burn through someone else's hard wrung words.

Actually and seriously I would not be averse to this. All of us could benefit from some quality, constructive, critiquing from time to time.

I've provided direct feedback to a couple of authors on a casual 'what did you think of this' basis and raised issues that they probably hadn't given much thought to. Sometimes it is just a matter of a different perspective.

And I have no issue about the same being done to my scribblings. Certainly, it is preferable to unexplained scoring.

Xxx
I'm with you on this cum-chops. I'd like it if someone told me where I was going wrong and not just the few bits I accidentally get right. I have a skin as thick as an elephants arse. Sometimes I get the feeling like when mum puts your pictures on the fridge and says how good they are. As I'm new to this writing stuff it would be better if I could get out of any bad habits now before they become too ingrained. Please feel free to kick the shit out of me anytime you like. I really would welcome it. Regards, Verity
Be nice to each other

0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald

Feck it Luca, that's what I've been doing wrong all this time.
I've been amusing my muse and letting her put words on a page.
I didn't think I needed to seduce the reader too.
That explains everything.

Oh, I know, Michelle. When I write, the reader has to either like it or lump it. That is why I cannot write to order (as in a given comp theme). The impetus for the story has to come from within. I like the idea of using an image to inspire a competition theme, though.

But I do try to serve up contents of my mind up in a manner that is palatable to the reader.

And of course, the old cliche says it all: You can't please . . .
0 likes
Quote by LucaByDesign

Oh, I know, Michelle. When I write, the reader has to either like it or lump it. That is why I cannot write to order (as in a given comp theme). The impetus for the story has to come from within. I like the idea of using an image to inspire a competition theme, though.

But I do try to serve up contents of my mind up in a manner that is palatable to the reader.

And of course, the old cliche says it all: You can't please . . .

Nice to hear I'm not the only one who finds it a struggle to get something in order for a comp. I never manage to get the scribbling engine hot at the start of the window so I have loads of time to play and polish. It's always a wild desperate charge into the unknown roaring like a maniac and swinging my pencil like a machete.

Oh and is the old Cliche: You can't please old cranky sheep farmers who double as your Witch Elder??

Mine certainly is hard to please. Sheesh all right already I put the sand on the ashes what else do you want.

Elders, who'd have them.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.
0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald

Nice to hear I'm not the only one who finds it a struggle to get something in order for a comp.

I will make it a third. I am at the point where I only enter if something "clicks" and I get something started. If I can't come up with something that fits the theme, I won't knock myself out doing it. And sometimes, just continuing something I have going already or have an idea for ends up as a comp entry.

Then there's a couple comps that inspired me so much (or maybe I was in a very literary mood) that I wrote two and had to decide which one to enter. The second then was published as a regular story after the comp ended.
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I will make it a third. I am at the point where I only enter if something "clicks" and I get something started. If I can't come up with something that fits the theme, I won't knock myself out doing it. And sometimes, just continuing something I have going already or have an idea for ends up as a comp entry.

Then there's a couple comps that inspired me so much (or maybe I was in a very literary mood) that I wrote two and had to decide which one to enter. The second then was published as a regular story after the comp ended.

Sometimes you find the perfect thing ina forum post and race off to put it on paper before it escapes.
That's art I suppose.

A Cure For Stagefright

0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald

Sometimes you find the perfect thing ina forum post and race off to put it on paper before it escapes.
That's art I suppose.

That's hardly the weirdest place I've found inspiration.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LucaByDesign

It varies a lot among the readers. After being on three different sites in more than three years, I'd say - based on the feedback I've gotten, which isn't a huge amount - that many readers appreciate a good story beyond the sex. For example, some of them like a story with a setting they recognize. I had one guy say that he fondly remembers going to Garret Mountain in New Jersey, where I had placed the concluding scene for a story. I've had others mention the Paradise Theater in The Bronx which I have used several times as a setting (it's been a church now for many years).

It sounds like small things, but people notice what an author has done. Some of the scenes in the theater were about sex, but it wasn't just any theater. It was a specific one that some people have memories of being in themselves.
0 likes
Quote by LakeShoreLimited

It varies a lot among the readers. After being on three different sites in more than three years, I'd say - based on the feedback I've gotten, which isn't a huge amount - that many readers appreciate a good story beyond the sex. For example, some of them like a story with a setting they recognize. I had one guy say that he fondly remembers going to Garret Mountain in New Jersey, where I had placed the concluding scene for a story. I've had others mention the Paradise Theater in The Bronx which I have used several times as a setting (it's been a church now for many years).

It sounds like small things, but people notice what an author has done. Some of the scenes in the theater were about sex, but it wasn't just any theater. It was a specific one that some people have memories of being in themselves.

Yeah, readers are a mixed bag.

And what you say about familiar locations is so true. I also like to see places I know referenced in mainstream and literary fiction. It must be great to be a citizen of somewhere like Edinburgh and read the Rebus novels, recognising the places where the plot unfolds.

Previously I have mixed things up a bit when it comes to a setting. Thinking about it now, I might set some future stories in recognisable locations.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LucaByDesign

Yeah, readers are a mixed bag.

And what you say about familiar locations is so true. I also like to see places I know referenced in mainstream and literary fiction. It must be great to be a citizen of somewhere like Edinburgh and read the Rebus novels, recognising the places where the plot unfolds.

Previously I have mixed things up a bit when it comes to a setting. Thinking about it now, I might set some future stories in recognisable locations.

Sometimes I do use generic locations in modern America. Maybe I'm lucky in that I have New York and the rest of the metro area to work with, which have meany potential locations. Sometimes I go back to the past, often the 1970s and '80s. I do have first-hand memories of those. (Yeah, I'm getting a bit old.) I think the oldest period I've attempted is the 1910s. Going back earlier than that, say the Civil War era, would require some research which I haven't attempted yet.