Login

Even mediocre writers deserve a few moments in the limelight

last reply
3 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
It will be my 70th birthday soon and as a present a little praise would be nice. However, as I have no one else to champion my stories and poems, I have decided on this occasion to overcome my aversion to self promotion and humbly beg that a few kind Lushies might like to read and comment on a couple of my efforts of which I am proud.

The first is a story for the dark hours of the night in the horror category called Blood of a Lamb, and is a tale about a vampire who finds love and is thus freed from the curse of immortality. A warning however, I have recorded an audio file of this story, but I’m afraid my formal British accent is rather boring and not at all sexy and the audio file is best avoided.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/horror/blood-of-a-lamb.aspx

As it will soon be Valentine’s Day I would like to recommend my only love poem on this theme which has the title Unrequited Love. It is really about unrequited lust and reflects something of my own feelings about this sad experience.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/unrequited-love.aspx

The moderators were kind and generous enough to award both with a Recommended Read for which I am deeply grateful.
Active Ink Slinger
Hate the thread title. Mediocre my arse. You know you can write. I’ll shout here.

Your work will NEVER be to everyones taste. Same as every other author.

So, in the spirit of of you dipping your toe into self promotion, I’d like to ask- who are you writing for? Where does your distinct style and love of love of language come from?

Exx
Lurker
Quote by Emily260
Hate the thread title. Mediocre my arse. You know you can write. I’ll shout here.
Your work will NEVER be to everyones taste. Same as every other author.
So, in the spirit of of you dipping your toe into self promotion, I’d like to ask- who are you writing for? Where does your distinct style and love of love of language come from?
Exx

Oh dear Emily, your plain speaking is the kick in the pants I deserve for wallowing in self pity, and I accept your rebuke.

I will try to answer your questions briefly, but I will write to you privately with a more detailed answer.

1. Who do I write for? The answer is both for myself and for the public. Like many gifted people (and I use the word gifted rather than talented because my abilities are something for which I can claim no credit as they are a product of inheritance and upbringing and all I can ever do is hone what I have been given) I suffer from immense self doubt and need the approbation of others, which is a serious character flaw.

2. What inspires me to write? I am often driven by strong emotions both of love and rejection, or my response to real life events that shock or anger me. My poetry is much closer to my heart than stories, which are often my way of expressing my inner sexual fantasies in a way that does not hurt or harm others.

3. What is important in a story? A credible story line and believable characters are paramount. Sex when it occurs should flow naturally from the behaviour and feelings of the characters and should never be gratuitous. Good stories should stand on their own without explicit sexual descriptions. For me it is important that the language is never crude but should express the lyrical beauty of sex - explicit words are only necessary in the height of passion and eroticism does not depend upon the use of four letter words but on the engagement of the reader’s imagination. I do not like stories where there is deliberate humiliation, cruelty or exploitation. Hoewever, erotic stories should be sexually arousing, both for the writer and the reader.

4. Where does my love of language come from? Initially from my mother who read novels and poetry to me from an early age, but once I was able to read for myself I read voraciously, often five books a week when I was in my teens (I read very quickly, although I will often read passages in a book several times).

5. Is my writing mediocre? I am a classical perfectionist, and nothing is ever good enough to satisfy my inner critic - where others see something good I see only the imperfections (that is also true of other things that I do in real life). I am aware that to a non British audience my prose often appears old fashioned and stilted - the world of writing belongs to the Americans, which is why they are going to be excluded from the Man Booker prize. My dialogue has also been criticised as unrealistic, again usually by Americans (although not by all Americans) but that is how I speak - I am nearly 70 after all, and I use much less slang than the younger generation, including my children. So by the standards I set myself, my writing falls short of the top class, and as one who was usually top of the class at school, I am rarely if ever truly satisfied.

That is the best I can do at the moment.

Xxxxx