Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How does anyone survive marriage breakup?

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
OK, I've spent the whole night awake and have nobody to talk to, so here goes...

I met my wife more than 25 years ago, and we've been together ever since. When I asked her to marry me she refused on the grounds that I was not a Christian. I continued to see her, but also went to church and found myself agreeing with the aims and philosophies I found there. Some months after that I was baptised and at the same time became engaged. I truly believed in God, still do, at least I think so. We married in June 1986 without having had sex or really discovering much about each other physically.

Once we were married things did not go well for us, as if often the case I suppose. I left my job in psychiatric nursing, and with it all my friends, largely to find a job closer to our new home. We discovered that my wife had a condition known as Vaginismus which is defined by the NHS as :

Vaginismus is when the muscles around the vagina tighten involuntarily when penetration of the vagina is attempted. It makes sexual intercourse difficult or impossible (the vagina can completely close up) and it can be painful.

We worked together at trying to overcome this problem and sought professional help. During that period, no matter how much time or effort I expended on trying to interest or excite her, all attempts at intercourse were of course, rejected. It became difficult for me to initiate sex at all, since it would only end in rejection and frustration. Eventually about 18 months after our marriage we finally managed to consummate it with intercourse. Despite all our efforts we were never really able to enjoy a satisfactory sex-life until 1989 or so when my wife became desperate to have children. At this point she began to initiate sex with me and we enjoyed what I would consider to be a normal sex life until she fell pregnant a few weeks later. Once she was pregnant sex effectively stopped altogether until she was ready to conceive a second child 2 years later.

I feel I should say at this point that marriage is not just about sex. In many ways our relationship was very good. We have never really shared many interests, but seem quite capable of pursuing our own whilst maintaining a stable home for our children. Despite which, when my wife fell pregnant a second time, and the same thing happened again, I became rather resentful. I think I blamed her religious beliefs for our sexual problems, and gradually drifted away from the church. I concentrated more on my career than on my children whilst my wife built a loving home and cultivated her relationships in the church and local community.

I became the manager of a successful shop just off Piccadilly Circus in London and made many good friends around there. However, when the freehold of the shop was bought by new landlords they yanked the rug out from beneath us causing the company to cease trading. I changed jobs a few times and commuted sometimes huge distances, to keep our home together.

We eventually moved to Bedford where I opened my own shop. Once here I became involved with my wife's new Church and things seemed to get better. Shortly after moving here my wife wanted to train as a teacher and began her training. My shop did not do terribly well since the area became fairly depressed after we moved here, and about 6 years ago we decided that we should cut our losses and close it. I suffered a near total breakdown at this point. Worry over debts and the failure of my business combining to overwhelm me, but with support (both financial and spiritual) from our church I recovered. Perversely enough I then felt unable to continue going to church for a number of reasons, both physical and psychological so once more I drifted away.

I took a part-time job driving school buses and became a house-husband so that my wife could concentrate on her studies, an arrangement that was ideal since I was able to take holidays with both wife and children. My wife graduated with distinction in 2006, getting a job straight away and receiving promotion less than a year later to head of IT. This is where we are right now, my wife has a successful career ahead of her. She effectively earns all the money in our household, whilst my career is gone and without the church or a real career I have no way to build friendships or roots in the community.

I feel completely trapped by my circumstances, utterly dependent on my wife's income, no real friends to speak of. I recently began receiving treatment for depression, something I should probably have done when I lost my business. Now I find the depression has lifted, my mind is clear for the first time in years and I have regained some of my old creativity and drive. Nonetheless I still feel trapped and unable to initiate sex with my wife. We share almost nothing in common with but our mutual background and house full of grown-up children who are rapidly heading toward complete independence. With this sudden reawakening of my mind, I am desperate to make new relationships and find a life again.

I won't ask whether I should break up with my wife, I feel that is my decision to make and in due course I will make it. What I do want to know however, is where do I go from here? How does one rebuild a life from scratch, with a job that pays so badly it is barely even feasible to pay rent on a single room, far less eat or enjoy any kind of social life. How do people survive marriage breakup? What happens next? I feel so very alone and vulnerable, it sounds weak and foolish, even to me, but after 25 years with the same woman I am simply not sure I will cope out there alone.

If anyone has had the stamina to get this far without falling asleep or moving on I want to thank you profoundly for sticking with me. You obviously care a lot more than most people. If you can offer me any advice or hope then I could really use the encouragement right now.
If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
Lurker
0 likes
Hey Mark.

Sorry to read such sadness. We have a few similarities in our life experiences. I met my husband at Bible College. We did not have the same issues you had when it came to sex. Sex is such a small part of a marriage and when it is good things are great, but when it is seriously lacking it affects everything. I ended my marriage when he quit trying and gave up. It has always been a struggle between us, but we spent a lot of time in counseling to make things work. It doesn’t matter whether you are a Christian or not, we all have struggles. It is called being human.

You are actually at a good place to start over again if that is what you really wanted to do right now. Your children don’t need you around 24/7 and your wife has her career. You need to find out what you want and like to do the next 40 plus years. Find what you are passionate about and get out there and do it. There is a term out there right now going around for people doing what we are doing. It is “reinvent your self.” This takes time, research and vision. So how do you do that? You asked where you go from here. Your wife did it by going to school and is now teaching.

This is how I am doing it.

1) Research and find what you want to do. Get books or teaching series in the area of your passion. Don’t have one? We all do! You just need to find what it is. Also get books to help you start over again.
2) Take classes in an area of interest or that support your passion. I am taking a financial class right now. There are some great books I have for this class that I have read that have helped with starting over in life and in the area of finances. (If you want to know what they are PM me and I will share them with you.)
3) Get out of the house. Do something! Start a hobby. Join a sport. Get involved in an outreach. I am sure your community or your church has a need for volunteers. I help with a group in our church that feeds the homeless. Your profile says you like writing. Journal your thoughts. Just remember to record the good things that are in your life. You will see that once you start doing the above, your perspective on life will change to a more positive outlook. You won’t seem so depressed and you won’t be looking for a way to survive, but see that you are actually living life again.
4) Surround yourself with friends. Find them at church. Join a book club. Doing something outside of the home gets you interacting with others and soon you will find people to bond with and make connections. Also great for networking for your career! There is also Lush!!! lol
5) Find a mentor in the area you want to begin over again. Again, I know of a book that tells you what to look for in a mentor and how to go about it. Great thing to do!!!! All successful people have a mentor to take them to the next level in life.
6) Work hard for what you want. SO it may not be in the area you want right now, but you have to pay the bills. Keep your goals in front of you. Put pictures in your journal to remind you of them. This will keep you motivated to stick with your plans. There will be hard times, but it is so worth it!!!
7) Enjoy the results. Celebrate the small steps too! Every little success is worth rejoicing over. Reminds of where we have been, but also where we are going! You can get there. You just need to start walking!

If what I said sounds too hard or you fear stepping out and getting started…think of this:

Are you happy? If you stay where you are, doing the same thing for the next 40-50 years will you be any happier? Do you want things to be different? Do you want to enjoy the next half of your life? Change means you have to get off the merry-go-round! It may take a little time to get your bearings and figure out where to go next, but you can do it!

If you need someone to give a kind word of encouragement I am here for you!

Tammy
Lurker
0 likes
Powerful advice Tammy. Wishing you all the best. You deserve it.
Lurker
0 likes
Oh Active Ink Slinger! I didn't read it all!!!!! But I'm guessing by the amount that you have written its not gonna be a good ending.

I've been divorced for 6 yrs and I can tell you the grass on the other side of the fence ain't that much greener - unless your gonna be having it off with every woman you come across after your wife.

If you have a half decent sex life with your wife - you make sure you fuck her like no tomorrow, before some other man does!
Lurker
0 likes
I'm curious to know why you don't go back into nursing. There's many branches of it so I would think it would be easier to find a part of it that you like. Hospital, private,etc.
Also counseling either on your own or if you choose to keep the marriage together, with your wife. It will help you get your head straight to decide what you want to do. There's also career counseling to help you decide what direction to go with that as well. As Minx said, if you decide to change career paths, try to find one that you really enjoy and get into classes as soon as possible so that you have something to fall back on in case your marriage does break up. Volunteering is a good way to make new friends and meet new people but, it's not going to put bread on your table. But between it and your church it can open up new paths for you to take.
It's not going to be easy but, in the long run you don't want to look back on your life and feel like you missed it.