Being single sucks

last reply
21 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Seems like EVERYONE i know, even people who have been single ever since ive known them, are pairing off with somebody and being all gross and happy and romantic. Its all i ever hear about everywhere i go!

Ive been single about a year and a half now and have only just started feeling ready for something serious again but every guy i come across is taken! Ugh i just know everyone will go off all happy and in love and ill just be alone forever
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Just did a quick profile snoop to see what age you were and don't panic, a lot of the same people you're watching get together now will be splitting up all around you in a few years.

I'm jealous actually. I'm a bit older so my only hope is the divorcee pool. Damaged and bitter people to look forward to. Hooray!
Stock answer to most forum questions:
Some do, Some don't

Love blindsides us all.
Matriarch
0 likes
You're 20, at Uni, witty, bright and attractive. There's something wrong with this picture! Everybody was banging like rabbits when I was at Uni.

Oh, you mean, you want more than just sex? Opps, my bad.

Maybe lower your standards!

Seriously though, you're only 20, go out and have fun, don't put so much pressure on yourself, you'll meet someone sooner rather than later (if you want to settle into a relationship that is).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Single is great! Enjoy it!!! Go have some fun and you'll meet someone sooner than later.
Lurker
0 likes
Met my husband when I was 24 and prior to that everyone had a relationship and I was alone. Looking back now I think I could have enjoyed a few more years of fun before getting serious! Have fun, be your age, explore and enjoy this time!
0 likes
MMonroe, yes being single sucks but you are young enough to take advantage of a lot of things at your age that I never did. I was involved in a relationship at your age which eventually lead to marriage. Now not that I feel that I lost time, I wish I would have slowed it down a little and made time to find out who I am and what I wanted in a woman.

12 years later I am now divorced and wish I would have spent some of my years on me and sowing my seeds. Take your time and enjoy!! PLEASE!
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
your still young to think that your alone and getting old being single, just enjoy every moment while your not in a relationship sometimes once your in a relationship tendency have less bonding with friend, office mates, and even family because your very much in love and wanted to be with your partner spending time if got a chance.

Be in a serious relationship is also a big step that the usual thing you did will be lessen or remove from you due to other priorities
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
it will find you when you least expect it to, trust
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
OMG girlfriend, the world is at your doorstep. Hands up to all the comments above. I tell you, life is just too damn short to be on locked down so early in life. If most of your friends are finding partners and doin couple things thats a given. Two is company three is a crowd. So do what I did, went out there and made me some new friends who were single and free to do stuff with me. Doesnt mean I lose my old friends, I still close contact with them. You can never have too many friends, you just need to be aware of who your true friends are. Anyhoo back to the topic, Ive been single for awhile now but that is my choice. And Im loving it because any decision I have to make is all mine lol I can up and go overseas, meet up with my friends, talk to my male friends ..without having to justify my actions to anyone nor asking permission or even having to make unnecessary sacrifices. So yea single sucks but I choose to look at the bigger and brighter side of it. Get to know and understand yourself first. Then see what may come lol Ok Ive blah blah blah on for long enough I'll let someone else have their say lol You take care my dear. Be happy and enjoy life to the full, you dont want to miss out of any of the fun it throws at ya. All the best for Uni. Mad crazy love e xx lol

'..May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent from one another..' Gen31:49 😇

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
You're 20, at Uni, witty, bright and attractive. Seriously though, you're only 20, go out and have fun, don't put so much pressure on yourself, you'll meet someone sooner rather than later (if you want to settle into a relationship that is).

Damn straight!!!!
Lurker
0 likes
So most everyone is saying that you should go out and enjoy being single, and you know what, they are right. But don't worry I know where you're coming from. I've been single forever but then I figured I would never find someone so I will just enjoy life as much as I can. You don't have to deal with all those relationship issues then you get invovled with someone! My friends complain to me all the time about their man/girl and I try to help but often time I am like 'wtf!? I never even dated before! Why are you telling me these things and asking for advice!'

Hearing all those stories made me realize it wasn't even worth it. Don't get me wrong I would LIKE to have someone but I don't NEED them. You're probably in the same boat- you would LIKE to have someone but you don't NEED someone. So I say just go on and enjoy life. Be whoever you want to be and don't worry about a man! smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
You've got a world of fun, opportunity, growth and sampling ahead of you!! Being single lets you do that on your own watch, when you want to and because you want to! Don't let the desire for a relationship hold you back from anything or disappoint you. Embrace your freedom - go out...have fun..meet new people.... make mistakes... be spontaneous... take a chance and learn from it..challenge yourself... hell, even spoil yourself! Do things in your bucket list! smile By doing all of this... you'll find yourself and what you want or need in life - and you'll do all of this without even trying because it's going to come to you while you're enjoying the ride of life! This, by the way.... includes the relationship you want - it's all with time. A time for everything and right now my dear, its time to live!

(and I can tell you all this as a girl seeing it from your point of view.... I've been single for a long time - and I'm having the time of my life! When the relationship comes - I'll embrace it then, in the meantime a person cant waste time trying to embrace something that's not there)! Go get'em girl! and enjoy yourself! :)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MMonroe

Ive been single about a year and a half now and have only just started feeling ready for something serious again but every guy i come across is taken!

I say as long as they arent married then every bloke is fair game.

Its the only way for a single girl to survive in the world.

xx B.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Out of the silly-ness and the tough-ness and the stubborn-ness of me.. okay, I'm exageratting that a lil.. silly
being single or not, there are problems still to deal with. I'm 25 and single, and I got asked a lot, "Who is your boyfriend?", when I told them, "Well you probably won't believe me, I'm single since I born. Nope, no boyfriend before, no boyfriend now"(not that I don't want to). And they always reply with, "Nooo.. You're lying! Really?" and they give a weird look. lol..

It awesome, when you compared yourself with other people. When you're single, you'll think, 'I want to have a man to spend my day, or to go out on the weekend or bla bla bla' But then, when you're with someone that prob not the one(and it happens a (so many)lot of the time), you ended up like, 'Oh. I wish I'm single. Look all the guys I missing out' or probably a 'My friends having fun going bla bla bla, and I'm stuck here, bored, with the man that doesn't try to understand me' No offends, just saying it from another perspective. :p

So back to the main point, it's sucks when you think it's sucks. I know! I mean i feel lonely sometime. But when I spend that 'lonely' time with something I love. Well, it works pretty well. It's all in the mind set. Get a hobby, and go out as many as you need. Most of all, be comfy with yourself, whether you're single or in a relationship.
Men will come over to you when you look attractive not just physically, but mentally also. It's all in the personality. So good luck!

xoxo

P.S. I have friends that choose to remain single for a couple years, after their last relationship. Taking a break, they said. I guess, you just can't be satisfied with anything. ;)
Head Nurse
0 likes
personally i love being single! I got married at 20, thought it was what I wanted2 jobs, 2 kids, 2 payments ect...10 yrs later a divorce and i have rediscovered myself! when you are in a relationship, particularly for women, you are so wrapped up in the other person that it is easy to forget who YOU are. enjoy being single; learn who you really are. love may come and go but you have to live with yourself forever! might as well enjoy her(urself!)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm in the same boat with you. Being single does suck at times. I'm 21 and just got out of a 5 year relationship so I've been having to relearn how to do everything alone. And although it does blow, majorly, at times, I've found a few silver linings:

You can be home at anytime you want.
You can flirt UNMERCIFULLY lol
You can drink to great excess and not have someone getting mad that you're drunk.
You can hang out with your friends at anytime your want.
You never have to explain yourself. To anyone.
Sooooo many more partners have become availble for dancing at the club.
Causual sex is OKAY (if you're into it).
Nobody steals the covers on your bed.
Life has many more personal potential paths, rather than a joined one.

That's the list so far, and it's a work in progress. Buck up, kiddo, you'll be alright.
Ferte in noctem animam meam, Illustre stelle viam meam. Aspectu illo glorior, Dum capit nox diem. Cantate vitae canticu, Sine dolore acte, Dicite eis quos amabam, Numquam obliviscar.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Being alone .... and being lonely are two different things !
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks everyone for the new replies! Like everyone i still have my down moments but generally speaking im ok with how things are for now. Ive finished uni now and about to move home in a few days and although i'll be back with my parents for a while (ugh) i feel like my life is actually starting now so who knows whats gonna happen!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by relaxandrelease

You can be home at anytime you want.
You never have to explain yourself. To anyone.
Nobody steals the covers on your bed.

I love these things on the list! Truly they are the best things about being single....and there's the whole, more (physical) space thing. Men seriously take up way too much room!
My whole house (inherited) has been converted into my studio...there's fabric everywhere and in one room I've painted the walls with blackboard paint so I can sketch with chalk on the wall!! Seriously the best idea I ever had...
I'm not entirely sure why, but I wouldn't be AS inclined to do something like that if I was co-habitating.
Also....midnight baking.....that seems to annoy potential partners.

Use the time to pursue your interests and (as you're just finishing uni) your career! To quote a really good friend of mine "Marriage is for when you can't be bothered to make the effort anymore, and you find someone that doesn't mind"
Makes me laugh every time, but he was kind of right in that a serious relationship is something that can wait. Establishing yourself and your personality is way more important in the long run 'cause god knows how long you're going to have to put up with yourself. It's much harder to throw yourself out than a guy ;P
XX
BB