Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Seeing more restrictive profiles lately?

last reply
25 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Think I've seen a growing set of profiles that feature non-negotiable restrictions on who will be permitted to contact the owner of the profile. That attitude might be effective if you're the hereditary ruler of a substantial country, but I think it's self-defeating for lesser mortals.

It's easy to avoid human contact: don't open an account and don't put up a profile. If you would like to meet people, then perhaps accept that there's an element of risk and brace yourself for the thronging hordes.

Never had the fun of being that popular, myself, but it sounds exciting!
From the stories I have heard from (mostly) female members of the board, I fully understand their decisions to put out such restrictions. There's an asshole contingent that makes it difficult for them and I would suggest the board is better for them putting up restrictions rather than just packing up and leaving. If someone says they only want to chat with x or y, they are within their rights and we other members should respect that.
It would seem perfectly reasonable to me for anyone to restrict who makes contact with them in any way. We do it in real life and we should be able to do it online. I have no clue why this would not be fine with everyone. There are so many people on this very site happily placing themselves open to meeting and greeting. Take them up on it and allow those who are not interested in you to go on their way without being criticized.
What would we think of someone who states that they only want to chat, talk, or friend with white people?

I don't really respect or like people with restrictive bios. But l do very much enjoy open minded people with depth of character.
It rings of racism.
Clearly, I had not considered this in-depth. I was thinking only of women who are trying to reduce the amount of harassment they sometimes receive. If we simply consider that I am happy that they are able to restrict the types of contact they receive. But if anyone decides to use attributes such as race as a criterion that would change my assessment of their reasons.
There was a time when people were mostly racial and not racist. That has all changed for the worst. It is difficult now to be racial without someone calling you a racist.
I am okay with people being able to control the borders of their lives and include or exclude as they see fit. I am less than okay with other people telling me what I must include or exclude in my life for greater good within society. I dislike peas and petunias because of childhood experiences and do not wish to have either in my life. If I can exclude content that has either of them, I will be happy to use that power.
A man in the house is worth two in the street- Mae West
Quote by Liz
Who said anything about race?

Yeah, I felt like I was missing something there. With all the drama some have in who friends who, who has who ranked where etc, I find it perfectly reasonable when some move to restrict what they show on their profile, especially to non-friends. If I'm missing a point of racism, someone please point it out.
99% of the profiles that I have seen with some sort of 'restriction' written in the bio are along the lines of, "Only interested in talking to women! Men don't message me."

I assumed the OP was referring to something like that.
I can see how requests for men not to contact might be a kind of sexism, but on the other hand, how often did these ladies receive unsolicited sexual requests or pictures from men? I think simply saying its a form of sexism is an oversimplification at the least.
People are allowed to set boundaries on their personal lives.

Those boundaries may reflect them being racist, sexist, or whatever but they are still allowed to have their boundaries. A white person who won't talk to black people cannot be forced to do so, though we can try to persuade them.

However, it can also reflect their life experience. In this case, I think the restrictive bios reflect the latter: women who have been harassed or had guys not take "no" for an answer setting a boundary to avoid that situation. That's not sexism, that's dealing with a problem in their life in a reasonable, rational way.

All of this is saying that we cannot always judge a person by the boundaries that they set. Sometimes there a good reason for the boundaries, sometimes there is a bad one and unless they are public about their reasons, we cannot necessarily make assumptions about who they are or what they believe based on those boundaries.
Quote by seeker4
People are allowed to set boundaries on their personal lives.

Those boundaries may reflect them being racist, sexist, or whatever but they are still allowed to have their boundaries. A white person who won't talk to black people cannot be forced to do so, though we can try to persuade them.

However, it can also reflect their life experience. In this case, I think the restrictive bios reflect the latter: women who have been harassed or had guys not take "no" for an answer setting a boundary to avoid that situation. That's not sexism, that's dealing with a problem in their life in a reasonable, rational way.

All of this is saying that we cannot always judge a person by the boundaries that they set. Sometimes there a good reason for the boundaries, sometimes there is a bad one and unless they are public about their reasons, we cannot necessarily make assumptions about who they are or what they believe based on those boundaries

I never really thought about it but this explanation makes the most sense.
mine says: no apes. sorry Scooter.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

All I ask is that guys who contact me be interesting (okay, "damn interesting"), and not just want to sex-chat with me. Otherwise, all are welcome.
Quote by Beffer
All I ask is that guys who contact me be interesting (okay, "damn interesting"), and not just want to sex-chat with me. Otherwise, all are welcome.

I can't say that I am "damn interesting" but I do think I am "dad-gummed interesting." Will that do?
Quote by sprite
mine says: no apes. sorry Scooter.

I'll just go see Beffer then. I'm sure a gorilla posting on a forum qualifies as "damned interesting".
Quote by Green_Man

I can't say that I am "damn interesting" but I do think I am "dad-gummed interesting." Will that do?

Dad-gummed is all I ask for!

Quote by seeker4

I'll just go see Beffer then. I'm sure a gorilla posting on a forum qualifies as "damned interesting".

If it's good enough for Dian Fossey, it's good enough for me! lol
Quote by Beffer

If it's good enough for Dian Fossey, it's good enough for me! lol

That made me laugh.

But look what happened to poor Dian after fooling around with gorillas.
Quote by LucaByDesign

But look what happened to poor Dian after fooling around with gorillas.

Being brutally murdered by (most likely theory) poachers is neither her fault nor that of the gorillas.
Quote by seeker4

Being brutally murdered by (most likely theory) poachers is neither her fault nor that of the gorillas.

Apologies if my gallows humour offended your simian sensibilities. I realise the wonderful beasts are close to your heart, and that Miss Fossey's death was a ghastly crime.

Just sayin' — it has its risks.
Quote by LucaByDesign

Apologies if my gallows humour offended your simian sensibilities. I realise the wonderful beasts are close to your heart, and that Miss Fossey's death was a ghastly crime.

Just sayin' — it has its risks.

And sorry for the grumping but without a suitable smiley, that came across as victim-blaming. Pop by Rump's and we can discuss over a beer.
The reality is that there are many women who receive loads of rude and inappropriate messages from men who think that, because this is a sex site, they can just demand sex and get it. Putting such a restriction in one's profile shows that the sender of the message either A) didn't read one's profile or B) doesn't care about one's wishes. It functions as a litmus test for people to block. And yes, it's mostly women getting messages from men. As for other restrictions, like race- no one here is required to explain or defend their personal preferences. If they're nasty about it, then that tells me that the person isn't someone I want to talk to anway, and saves both of us from wasting each other's time.
Quote by seeker4

And sorry for the grumping but without a suitable smiley, that came across as victim-blaming. Pop by Rump's and we can discuss over a beer.

No problem.

After I posted, I re-read your post and realised I might have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick. I was never a lover of emojis but am beginning to warm to them — though I can never be arsed to trawl the selection on offer.
Quote by ymmv
Think I've seen a growing set of profiles that feature non-negotiable restrictions on who will be permitted to contact the owner of the profile. That attitude might be effective if you're the hereditary ruler of a substantial country, but I think it's self-defeating for lesser mortals.

It's easy to avoid human contact: don't open an account and don't put up a profile. If you would like to meet people, then perhaps accept that there's an element of risk and brace yourself for the thronging hordes.

Never had the fun of being that popular, myself, but it sounds exciting!

I agree. Though I can't speak to the problems some may have experienced here or elsewhere, some profiles are down right antisocial. It makes me glad I am not here to win a popularity contest and get a badge for the number of friends I have.
my profile is not restrictive, look me up.