last reply
75 replies
4.3k views
4 watchers
36 likes

Quote by AppleByBoom

Quote by JamesLlewellyn

Quote by KimmiBeGood

Oh goodness, Kimmi spied her name in a rant with her one good eye. Agree with the fur-ruffled Bear that cover art is important. Many male readers have told me mine adds to my stories. Maybe my words are crap or maybe males tend to be more visual creatures.

That said, as a developer, we tend to think we know more about our software than our users and can get OUR fur ruffled when cursed at or insulted. So Bear, we are friends, i know you mean well for us writers, you are a great writer on and off Lush, a successful businessman, and you KNOW your first post will get you NOWHERE. You should have led with your second. I know you are frustrated, but maybe don't post when triggered and emotional. I have done the same and regretted it once calm.

I'm going to Rumps now to stuff my face with donuts. smile

Harley, Natalia, WW, Rachel, and Kimmi, this issue has been raised, repeatedly, and politely by me and several others.

How far has it gotten us?

Yes, it has, and WW has agreed with you repeatedly and advised that he has raised it. There are other things taking precedent just now and I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what it is. I do hope it can be resolved, but it's one of those things that's not a quick fix.

I believe being polite has gotten the majority of us pretty far. The developers are pretty responsive, they're working hard to make Lush more fitting for writers, but not everything will be the same as it was before.

Attention Seeking 101.

Lots of us here have worked in IT, and have long memories about pushy and impatient clients. I’m newly retired, and rants like this still trigger me.

Rolling out a website and tweaking it to the satisfaction of everyone is not easy. Some things get better, some things get worse, and every software decision you make tends to cascade down to ten thousand other areas in all sorts of unexpected ways. I don’t envy the developers.

Flick.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Quote by Ensorceled

Quote by AppleByBoom

Quote by JamesLlewellyn

Quote by KimmiBeGood

Oh goodness, Kimmi spied her name in a rant with her one good eye. Agree with the fur-ruffled Bear that cover art is important. Many male readers have told me mine adds to my stories. Maybe my words are crap or maybe males tend to be more visual creatures.

That said, as a developer, we tend to think we know more about our software than our users and can get OUR fur ruffled when cursed at or insulted. So Bear, we are friends, i know you mean well for us writers, you are a great writer on and off Lush, a successful businessman, and you KNOW your first post will get you NOWHERE. You should have led with your second. I know you are frustrated, but maybe don't post when triggered and emotional. I have done the same and regretted it once calm.

I'm going to Rumps now to stuff my face with donuts. smile

Harley, Natalia, WW, Rachel, and Kimmi, this issue has been raised, repeatedly, and politely by me and several others.

How far has it gotten us?

Yes, it has, and WW has agreed with you repeatedly and advised that he has raised it. There are other things taking precedent just now and I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what it is. I do hope it can be resolved, but it's one of those things that's not a quick fix.

I believe being polite has gotten the majority of us pretty far. The developers are pretty responsive, they're working hard to make Lush more fitting for writers, but not everything will be the same as it was before.

Attention Seeking 101.

JEFF!!! HOW THE HELL ARE YOU???

I think this:

Quote by Ensorceled
every software decision you make tends to cascade down to ten thousand other areas in all sorts of unexpected ways

... is a really good point. Every thing the developers do here, they also have to run checks to make sure it doesn't affect the other sites too. It's definitely not a simple task.

Flick.

Ms Boom, Great point. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many things I have accidentally broken while "fixing" something else. redface

Hi Jeff! Missed you in thIs last comp! Hope you are in next!

BTW side note, my friend LikelyAlly (very good writer) came back after year+ off and said he likes the site. I offered to help him navigate new editor and get story published, but he did it easily on his own. He quickly published 2, so that's a spot of good news.

Quote by KimmiBeGood

Ms Boom, Great point. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many things I have accidentally broken while "fixing" something else. redface

Hi Jeff! Missed you in thIs last comp! Hope you are in next!

BTW side note, my friend LikelyAlly (very good writer) came back after year+ off and said he likes the site. I offered to help him navigate new editor and get story published, but he did it easily on his own. He quickly published 2, so that's a spot of good news.

Hey Booms, hey Kimmi. Yeah, and that “rescaling images so they show correctly on all devices at all screen sizes” problem is one of the thornier ones. I still have nightmares about that kind of stuff.

Kimmi, I don’t write much erotica these days. That quickie contest was an exception because I LOVE writing flash. Good to hear from you.

And Boomer: fa-lick!!!

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Quote by WannabeWordsmith
3) When are we going to be able to go back to full-sized images for cover art.

When someone can convince the designers that it's desirable, and images of any aspect ratio can live harmoniously in a responsive, grid-based design. I've tried.

I want to apologize to the posters here for my tone the other day. It is true that I am frustrated – as are many of us – about aspects of the current build, but that is no excuse for shouting and being insulting.

It was wrong of me, and I apologize.

An incredibly talented, but modest Polar Bear, often mischievous, but never malicious!

Quote by JamesLlewellyn

You weren't out of line, except it gave the site's apologists the opportunity to attack you, rather than address the points you raise.

Quote by dlcalguy

Quote by JamesLlewellyn

You weren't out of line, except it gave the site's apologists the opportunity to attack you, rather than address the points you raise.

These are things we are aware of and have adressed by advising they've been noted and raised.

Thank you, James, and we're good. smile

Question:

I'm writing a lil something. Do I still need to delete lines between each paragraph after copy/paste from Google Docs, in order for spacing to come out right after I submit, or has that been changed/fixed in one of the updates?

No change here as far as I'm aware. If you leave an entire blank line between each paragraph, you'll get an empty '<p></p>' pair between each paragraph here. So best bet is to globally replace ^p^p with ^p before copy and pasting to Lush, then undo the global replace to restore it looking better in your source document.

I think you can do that in Google docs but I'm not sure as I tend to work in Word.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 112 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Quote by KimmiBeGood

Question:

I'm writing a lil something. Do I still need to delete lines between each paragraph after copy/paste from Google Docs, in order for spacing to come out right after I submit, or has that been changed/fixed in one of the updates?

I haven't had to do that in the last two stories I submitted. I use Word as well, but I suspect it's a bug that was flattened.

An incredibly talented, but modest Polar Bear, often mischievous, but never malicious!

Ah maybe it squashes extra line breaks now then. That's grand if it does, thanks for the report.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 112 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 21 collaborations.

Forum posting experiment (on a PC)

After this line I will just hit Enter

After this line I will hit Shift/Enter
After this line I will hit Ctrl/Enter
After this line I will hit Enter, type 1 space, hit Enter again

After this line I will hit Shift/Enter, type 1 space, hit Shift/Enter again

After this line I will hit Ctrl/Enter, type 1 space, hit Ctrl/Enter again.

that should give an idea how to get breaks between lines and how to get lines to follow tightly or loosely.

Thanks, fellas. I may try a micro first without removing the line to see where things stand from copy/paste from Google Docs. Good news from Word though. smile

Thanks, dlcalguy. That's a nice visual indicator reference. So the enter key on its own is a paragraph break. Some modifier+enter is a line break. But multiple paragraph whitespace is gobbled up, while multiple line break whitespace is preserved. Handy to know.

* 21 collaborations.

Kimmi, your findings would be helpful here, thanks in advance for your report. I would like to think it'll behave similarly to Word but, well, this is the wild wild web, so anything's possible.

* 21 collaborations.

I had to delete a line between every paragraph with a direct copy and paste from google docs at the weekend.

I can’t get out of the habit so it’s just a manual pain in the ass between paragraphs every submission still for me but my lush experience is fairly fucked up anyway so might be fine for you.

I still don’t get notifications most times and I know lots of people don’t get notified of my stories… so the google docs delete pain is just another lush 2.0 joy to endure

2 competition winning stories, 1 Famous story, a smattering of Editor's Picks, a handful of Recommended Reads and one Clitorides award are scattered amongst my stories.

One of a handful of writers to get the Omnium badge for writing in every category

For a book club with a difference... try this lesbian romp

Quote by deviantsusie
it’s just a manual pain in the ass between paragraphs every submission

Search and replace in Google Docs sucks ass. I just tried it. You can't replace special characters but you can search for them.

Select the 'search by regex' checkbox in the find/replace dialog and search for \n\n. In an ideal world you would be able to replace with a single \n to remove double para marks, but no. That'd be too useful and Google don't want to help people, it seems.

* 21 collaborations.